Caledonian/thistle Last Ever

Guest CALEY108

Guest CALEY108

Huntly v Caledonian

Thistle v Lossie

How many of you were there and what were your thoughts/memories of the day?

I attended Christie Park that afternoon and don't mind admitting i shed a tear or ten :019:,never felt so empty travelling back along the A96 to inverness

Not many fans have experienced the feeling of their teams being killed off, so quite interested to hear the thoughts from fellow blues and jaggies

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasnt at Huntly as couldnt get thro. But was gutted that day. ICT has never come close to filling that void despite all the adventures we been on. Ad go as far to say football as a whole has lost its appeal a lot since the day Inverness Caledonian FC were no more.

I remember the last home game, my mate leapt the fence and helped himself to the corner flags at full time as a memento.

I was at Huntly with my then 8 year old son. We sat in the stand and listened to the abuse from certain of the blue and white clad ones in the Howling Shed. We saw Wilson Robertson's final goal for Caley in a 1 all draw. We saw the Caley fans who were ejected from the ground. We witnessed (and I audio recorded) the fracas when the blue and white ones (or at least a minority of same) invaded the pitch after the game and hurled vitriol at the Caley committee as they left the stand. The coin which was thrown narrowly missed my son.

It was an ignominious end to a club with such a proud history. Never were Jimmy Falconer's words more appropriate - "I just wish they would let the club go with dignity."

On the other hand, dignity and a degree of poignancy were, I believe, both conspicuous features of the simultaneous goings on at Kingsmills. Davie Milroy (who is pictured in Against All Odds being consoled by Henrik Madej) described Kingsmills that afternoon as "very much like a funeral." (Ex Caley fans need not respond to that with any kind of "so what was new?" jibe!)

:019: :019: :019: :019: :019: :019: :019: :019: :019: :019: :019:

Oh why did ya have to start this thread !!

Yes, I believe there was a fair bit of that at Kingsmills that afternoon. I also remember being outside Kingsmills the following Saturday when the Wickers were removing the enclosure to take it to Harmsworth Park. (In fact it was on their radio that I heard Brewster score the only goal of the cup final for DU). A very emotional Mark Mitchell appeared on the scene but didn't wait around for long.

I wouldn't want to kick off another similar outpouring from RBC by referring to another of the more memorable pics in the book where Ken MacPherson snapped the Kingsmills stand burning down the following summer.

Only a year or so ago I learned of the merger and that was a great shock to me. 

I do however sympathise  with the emotions generated by these last poignant moments .

The clubs however never really died because they only are part of change which goes on constantly in the universe and is an irresistible force. The clubs merely transformed. But....

parting is such sweet sorrow.

I was at Huntly and it was the unhappiest day I ever spent watching Caledonian FC.  I was quite excited about the merger and never felt my team was being killed off, rather developing into something bigger and better, which has proved to be the case.  The behaviour of some Caley fans was embarrassing particularly because they spoilt what was a gala day for Huntly who had just won the Highland League for the first time in donkeys years.

A day I'd rather forget.

I know Charles. I am ashamed that I didn't look up Caledonian Thistle on the Internet before then. I

It's just that I have led a very busy life you know and "soccer"isn't that big in them thar parts these days.

I was speaking to General Custer the other day and he says that the railroad will soon be through to the West Coast so civilisation will begin to flood in the door  soon I am sure.

What with the discovery of Gold in the Klondyke, hootenannys in the streets, girls in the bars, horse races down the main street and drunken Injuns falling off the sidewalk I just don't know what things are coming to over this way these days.They will be banning six-shooters next, Glory be! :crazy07:

I was at Huntly and it was the unhappiest day I ever spent watching Caledonian FC.  I was quite excited about the merger and never felt my team was being killed off, rather developing into something bigger and better, which has proved to be the case.  The behaviour of some Caley fans was embarrassing particularly because they spoilt what was a gala day for Huntly who had just won the Highland League for the first time in donkeys years.

A day I'd rather forget.

My feelings entirely, especially with regard to the spoiling of a great day for Huntly. a year later, Pele must have been wondering what he had let himself in for.

SP - next time you see Custer, ask him to pass on my regards to Buffalo Bill, the Lone Ranger, Doc Holliday, General Wolfe, Davy Crockett and all my friends among the 49ers.

SMEE - Not a chance!

Since the formation of Caley Thistle I've lived some of my footballing dreams.  Twenty years ago I could never have imagined I would see a team from Inversnecky beat Celtic and Rangers.  Don't get me wrong, I loved growing up watching football in the Highland League but Caley and Thistle got out at a good time.  Sometimes I think the younger generation of ICT fans don't appreciate the enormity of what has been has been achieved since 1994.

Charles... :015: :015:

I went down to the Bank to see the Loan Arranger today..does he qualify also? :015: :015:

He said "what's it  for Scarlet (uses my first name with libertarian glee, the cheeky sod)? And I replied a tad miffed  "It's for Caley Thistle , dolt, what else.?" "And Charles Bannerman needs the money for a new mic."

"Oh, Charles B." , he says with a beatific smile "He's that Scottish Journalist that does the commentaries and interviews with ICT players isn't he? He's good isn't he, very tactyful guy and has a nice soft accent toooooo.....  eh?

I said "Yes" in surprise and he replies ""I got tired of you always harping on about how great a team they were so I started having a look at the website and now I am a big fan--so there"

And with that he banged down the " loan approved" stamp on the meaningless document sitting in front of him.  So off you go Charles and get your new mic courtesy of The Vancouver City Savings Credit Union-just send them the bill, attention of the "Loan Arranger".

And all's well that ends well with a smile on our lips. :cdn: :stir:

SMEE - Not a chance!

Since the formation of Caley Thistle I've lived some of my footballing dreams.  Twenty years ago I could never have imagined I would see a team from Inversnecky beat Celtic and Rangers.  Don't get me wrong, I loved growing up watching football in the Highland League but Caley and Thistle got out at a good time.  Sometimes I think the younger generation of ICT fans don't appreciate the enormity of what has been has been achieved since 1994.

Spot on. That's exactly the way I feel too, and I supported Caley for longer than most on this forum.

Scarlet O'Hara... that's very kind of you!  :015: (Come to think of it I forgot to pass on my regards to Rhett Butler and the Loan Arranger's sidecick Tonto).

DJS... I predominantly agree but would just make one "chicken and egg" query about the Highland League. By "Caley and Thistle got out at a good time" I suspect you mean thus escaping the straitened circumstances which the West part of the HL at any rate is experiencing now. On the other hand it could be argued that it was the departure of Caley, Thistle, Ross County, Peterhead and Elgin City (but most significantly the first three) which was a major cause of the difficulties which the HL is experiencing. It's a hypothetical question I know because departures into Scottish League football were inevitable once they (belatedly) decided to open out.

It was magic back then seeing Caley cuffing teams in the Scottish Cup, but ICT has already had enough adventures to fill two books.

No way back. As Roy the Corrie would say 'these days are past now, and in the past they must remain'  :015:

Did I mention that the Huntly game is on my Caley website ?

As a Caley supporter from age 5 or thereabouts (donkeys years ago and don't ask), I could never have imagined then what an Inverness team has now achieved - to see Rangers, Celtic, Hearts etc in Inverness, in the same League, - it would have been beyond mine, and my Dad's wildest dreams.  Ann Nicoll and I have reminisced about our respective Dads' thoughts - they were best buddies at Telford Street.

I have many memories of Telford Street, Kingsmills Park, and every HL team we played, home and away - visited them all except Fraserburgh for some reason, and most were happy times - Lossie and Brora not being such happy times one year as I recall!

The days of Caley -v- Thistle must be put to rest - those who still avoid the games because of the merger are doing themselves no favours - we are enjoying shouting "Come on Caley" or "Come on Jaggies".  These ex fans are missing out.    I very much appreciate Clach in the Highland League but Inverness Caley Thistle are the main City team and that we shall remain, and may the memories continue (come on the Caley Jags!) - firstly to maintain being in the Premier League, then maybe (with luck) a 6th spot to spite (or surprise) them all, or else a Cup next year?  Why not - all future memories.  Every game I attend (and there's few I miss) are valuable memories to me.

I very much appreciate Clach in the Highland League

Agreed wholeheartedly! I think Clach have a very important part to play in the structure of football in Inverness. It's just a pity that so many of the people who complained so loudly when the club almost went out of existence in 1990 and almost went to Dingwall in 1996 don't turn out to support them.

in your charles it says how only 300 turned up to watch thistle's last game. how was that? were thistle the lesser of the two (supported wise) or was it more to do with what kingsmills said, alot of people couldn't bring themselves to go and watch.

you would think however because it was the last ever game more would turn up. 2000 were ate the game in huntly and i wouldnt b surprised if nearly 1000 of those wear from inverness

certainly don't have the same feelings/passion as i did for Caledonian

Fair play pal. To be honest....I think part of my passion for football died when Caley came to an end. Just doesnt capture my attention like it once did. Still only route for ICT in Scotland these days tho

If you guys really believe that then yer living in the past I'm afraid.  These would have been good memories, but thats all it would ever be, memories.  ICT is the way forward now, like it or not.

I never supported either of the merger teams, my preference was for Clach, but I am glad that there is a team representing Inverness in the SPL.