Caledonian/thistle Last Ever

Guest CALEY108

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real facts are.............both teams in their time were successful in HL. Both teams came to agreement that they would merge and challenge a higher level of football. Both teams no longer exist. Like it or not there is only one ICT. Dont forget the past but dont let it spoil your support of Inverness in the SPL And thats from a Jaggie.

SMEE,

Wasn?t meant to be bait, rather a statement of fact.

When I think of Davidson, Taylor and Mann, I remember Graeme Souness and his epithet coined 20 odd years ago ? ?hammer throwers?

Now compare and contrast to the more cultured skills of Skinner, Milroy and Stevenson.

And that?s only the defenders!

Sophia makes an even more valid point ! Seriously it's great from time to time to dwell on the past but the fact of the matter is that we are enjoying watching full time players play at the highest domestic level in Inverness which is something which would never have happened without the pains oof the merger.

Caley and Thisle both had glorious episodes in their respective pasts and, as a Thistle supprter I can only concede that in terms of past success Caley enjoyed more such spells than the Jags but at their height these consisted of winning the Highland League and going on the odd run, sometimes as far as the last Sixteen of the Scottish Cup. Elgin went one better thaneither of us ever did.

That local success in over two centuries of combined history is nothing compared to what has been achieved in less than a decade and a half since. Very many of those now regularly attending the TCS never set foot in Kingsmills or Telford Street, except in the latter case to buy a bed or a bookcase.   

Very definately time to look forward rather than back.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with a few memories, some of the happiest times I have had watching football was while standing in the Howden End.

Talk to any manager or player from the Highland League days pre 93 and they will mention what it was like facing a Caley team in full flow shooting into the Howden end in the second half.

I miss those days and nights at Telford street, it was my football education.

But times move on, and now I worry about getting a result against Dundee United, Aberdeen, Hearts rather than Elgin City , Keith or Brora!

Talk to any manager or player from the Highland League days pre 93 and they will mention what it was like facing a Caley team in full flow shooting into the Howden end in the second half.

Can anyone remember how many of Jags' 3 goals without reply from Caley in the 1988 Qualifying Cup Final replay at Telford Street were scored into the Howden End?  :015: