GRETNA RESIGN FROM SFL

SMEE

Then let them use the ground with the terracing closed....it's them that will lose income.

It's like the minimum seats criteria....clubs should be allowed to use what they have and base that decision on their own needs and abilities to finance it, not the jumped up aspirations of others.

If the SPL want a minimum seat criteria then they should be willing to offer funding to clubs to provide it.  If the SPL want minimum stadium criteria beyond what is required by law, then they too should be offering funding to provide it.

Forcing clubs to spend money which they may not necessarily be able to afford is a ludicrous idea.  All clubs should be able to rise and fall by their own means, not by the means of others.

Football grew very healthily for the 100 years prior to the introduction of all these "minimum criteria" rules....and you just have to look at the declining fan numbers and the fact that clubs are going to the wall on an almost annual basis due to debt to see the damage it is doing to the game.  Time for a reality check, football is not about sitting in sparkley, modern, hi-tech, all-seated stadia, it's about two teams going out to do battle whilst being watched by their fans.  Provided that is done in a safe environment, then nothing else matters.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Provided that is done in a safe environment, then nothing else matters.

Safe environment is the problem.................it was ok for div 2 and 3 with crowds of a few hundred but is not designed for crowds of 3000 and is not deemed safe. And their floodlighting is not up to the required standard either.

You can defend Gretna all you like CD and that is your perogative but the fact is the rules and regulations are in place and must be adhered to, whether people like them or not, and Gretna have made absolutely no attempt to abide by any of those rules and regulations even though they were given time to do so.

Gretna was a project for one man. The achievement was realised, and like some computer game, it will now be discarded.

Provided that is done in a safe environment, then nothing else matters.

Safe environment is the problem.................it was ok for div 2 and 3 with crowds of a few hundred but is not designed for crowds of 3000 and is not deemed safe. And their floodlighting is not up to the required standard either.

You can defend Gretna all you like CD and that is your perogative but the fact is the rules and regulations are in place and must be adhered to, whether people like them or not, and Gretna have made absolutely no attempt to abide by any of those rules and regulations even though they were given time to do so.

Gretna was a project for one man. The achievement was realised, and like some computer game, it will now be discarded.

Who says 3000 isn't safe?  I think you'll find that legislation/law finds it perfectly acceptable for a football stadium to have a capacity of 9,999  before the all-seater criteria kicks in....it's the SPL who lowered it to 6000 for this league and now the infection of self preservationism is spreading to SFL 1 and they want to dictate what minimum capacity a stadium should have...where does it all end?

It's not about defending Gretna or any specific team, it's about standing up against all the things which are killing the game in this country.  To feck with the "rules are in place and must be adhered too" political nonsense....if the rules are not fit for purpose and are doing more harm than good then they should be challenged....if ICT had taken that line 4/5 years ago then we would not be where we are now defending the very rules that almost hindered our right to progression.

As for floodlighting.....since ICT's floodlights are not up to the required SPL standard and haven't been for some time now, requiring almost weekly maintenance to keep them even half way efficient....should we have been thrown out of the SPL?

Was it not 20 years ago that, post Bradford, wooden stands of over 500 had to be looked at very critically indeed? I remember that about 1988, Jock McDonald had the ideal solution to that difficulty at Kingsmills... they had the back of the stand boarded up to reduce its capacity to below 500!

Gretna shouldn't of been allowed in the league from the start!!

they have to build a whole new stadium!!

caley broke the barrier for teams to get in to the spl even though they didn't have a stadium big enough but caley at least got their stadium sorted out within 6 months!!

Gretna have just abused the right!!

Reported on BBC that Gretna are holding what sound like crisis talks tomorrow, to see if and how they can can make it through to the end of the season without Mileson ploughing more money in to cover the spiralling losees. It appears that Mileson Jnr is in charge of the family purse strings at the moment and he has not been particularly willing to pour his inheritance down the drain.

It appears that Mileson Jnr is in charge of the family purse strings at the moment and he has not been particularly willing to pour his inheritance down the drain.

Well why should he pour money in..? His inheritance as things stand at the moment is a mere ?75 million.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tna/7282594.stm

Seems this is merely what we knew all along. Gretna FC, in it,s current format, is wholly unsustainable. They are punching some 3 maybe 4 divisions above their weight.

Incidentally, if Gretna get booted out and there is still to be relegation from the SPL we might well find ourselves in the firing line given our perilous run of results.

Guest couchpotato

"I think the SPL have let us down," said Wadsworth.

"To turn a game round in less than 48 hours when our public have got to travel the best part of a 200-mile round trip, I thought it was unfair. We wanted to play in a fortnight's time............

Hang on a minute,who wanted to play their home games 100 miles away from the "support" base,?bit late to start greetin about it when it doesn't suit Gretna FC.

RIG,revised league would look like this if Gretna go , wouldn't think there'd still be relegation tho

2ebfn84.jpg

I also liked Wad's Worth saying "I bet there were a lot of people who didn't know this game was on."

The supporters don't know when they're playing the only team they've already taken six points off??  What a pile of garbage.

The thing I don't really get about Mileson, is that he has poured money into getting Gretna up into the SPL, and then seems to have virtually abandoned them. And the fact that he's ill, I would have thought, would have made him make totally sure that the club and the players would be safe if anything happened. Surely it can't be normal, in the 21st century, for players to queue up for a cheque at the end of the month?

Hey, look on the bright side. Losing a club is never a good thing, but St Mirren getting relegated is  :015: :015: :015: :015:

no relegation if Gretna go bust. they would be deemed the relegated team.

Will they be the first teamin Scotland to be docked ten points?

I believe so, although we all know that creative accountancy at Livingston was the only reason that they avoided it a couple of seasons ago. Dundee and Motherwell were also spared, due to the rule being brought in after they had gone into administration.

I firmly believe that even though this is the case, that they should relegate a second team from the SPL. This would make it fair on all the teams duped by Gretna last season. 2 up, 2 down should always be the rule. It would certainly give our players the rocket up the ar*e they currently require. And isn't that what we're all moaning about? :017:

Hey, look on the bright side. Losing a club is never a good thing, but St Mirren getting relegated is  :015: :015: :015: :015:

You're working too hard Scotty  :023:

If they are to be relegated to probably the 2nd division (as suggested), there will still need to be relegation from the SPL and then I suppose 2 teams come up to make space further down the line to slot Gretna in.

I see the SPL are going to give them a loan to ensure they complete their fixtures.  they then pay the money back out of the money they would have received at the end of the season.

Probably because they (the SPL) don't want the hassle of having one of their clubs going into administration. I'd imagine they will be hoping that Gretna can limp till the end of the season then fall apart in the SFL.