Snecky streetnames

DJS

And IHE is  looking at you all from the poop deck pof HMS Sneck.  :sillywave:

Charles  thanks for that --the references to Culcabock are great. I also checked out that link and have spent a very interesting half hour looking at the photos from the distant past--quite fascinating I must say. I learned for example that horse racing was a big deal in Inverness going back to the 1700's ending up in the Dunain district and was a big social event once per year.

Jim Smith was born on Ross Avenue not Smith Avenue--I stand corrected.

I just love this kind of thread ! :hairy01:

General Wade went on to build many bridges and other engineering marvels (other canals) throughout the U.K. in addition to his great feats in Scotland. Did he not come into Scotland in the first place on orders to pacify the Highlands by opening it up with roads and bridges and to ensure that no further rebellions could take place (that woudl threaten the Government or Monarchy of the time? :024:

I've heard 2 stories about what led to the dual carriageway nature of Laurel Ave......

First off, it was down to the fact that when the area was built they always intended that to be the "bypass" heading South West.  The addition of what is now the Friars Bridge had been considered many many years before it was actually built and would probably have gone ahead had it not been for problems in acquiring the land which now houses part of the Cemetery....leading to the plans being scrapped fairly early on, and possibly before construction even begun.

The second story is that, in-keeping with the "tree" theme it was constructed like that for no reason other than to accommodate what should have been a more extensive row of trees right down it's centre which should have been made up from a selection representing the various streets which had been named after trees.

And just to be pedantic....the "roundabout" on Laurel Ave isn't actually a roundabout, it's just a traffic island  :016:

SP... first of all horses. I think there has been a long and continuing association between the Dunain area and horses. For instance horses are still kept in a field just before Dunain Park on the A82 and there are more in the fields between the A82 and the canal where I think they still hold showjumping events.

General Wade... an interesting tale of the Jacobite era. I could argue that there were FIVE Jacobite rebellions, if you include the attempts to restore James II and VII in 1689-90. Then there was an abortive attempt in 1708 where a French fleet got no further than the Forth and didn't disembark its troops. It's thought this was just a feint by Louis XIV to distract Britain's attention from the War of the Spanish Succession. After that there was the "15" where sanctions against its supporters were remarkably lenient I've always thought, followed by the short lived 1719 rebellion which ended in a battle at Glenshiel.

By now the Hanoverian government was getting a bit fed up with this ongoing hassle and decided to set up a network of roads and barracks throughout the Highlands to facilitate troop dispositions and troop movements in order to discourage further trouble. General Wade was put in charge and the network included Ruthven Barracks at Kingussie and the road over the Corrieyairick from Fort Augustus to Kincraig. Old Edinburgh Road, as it continues up Glendruidh and past Milton of Leys to Faillie etc, is also a Wade Road. (And Inverness has a Wade Road off Old Edinburgh Road in the Milton Crescent scheme.) Wade's assistant and then successor was William Caulfield.

Finally there was the "45", French support for which it could equally be argued was an attempt to distract Britain from the War of the Austrian Succession. There was always a lot of self interest in French "support" for the Jacobite cause. (Self interest... not at all like the French, eh?!  :015:)

This, of course, brings to mind the third verse of what must be the most turgid national anthem in the world (not a patch on the French one which is magnifique!) which begins "Lord grant that Marshal Wade may by they mighty aid victory bring. Then like a torrent rush, rebellious Scots to crush..."

One more comment on Wade. It's a bit of an irony that one of the biggest aids the Jacobites had in flitting about the Highlands both at the begining and the end of the 45 was Wade's Roads! Charles Edward Stuart also fled from Culloden initially to Ruthven.

And IHE is  looking at you all from the poop deck pof HMS Sneck.  :sillywave:

Charles  thanks for that --the references to Culcabock are great. I also checked out that link and have spent a very interesting half hour looking at the photos from the distant past--quite fascinating I must say. I learned for example that horse racing was a big deal in Inverness going back to the 1700's ending up in the Dunain district and was a big social event once per year.

Jim Smith was born on Ross Avenue not Smith Avenue--I stand corrected.

I just love this kind of thread ! :hairy01:

General Wade went on to build many bridges and other engineering marvels (other canals) throughout the U.K. in addition to his great feats in Scotland. Did he not come into Scotland in the first place on orders to pacify the Highlands by opening it up with roads and bridges and to ensure that no further rebellions could take place (that woudl threaten the Government or Monarchy of the time? :024:

The Caledonian Canal was constructed under the watchful eye of Thomas Telford, not General Wade. Hence "Telford Street". It was also one of the last to be built as it was finished around the time that the Railways coming into being.

[

The Caledonian Canal ... was also one of the last to be built as it was finished around the time that the Railways coming into being.

Indeed it was and it was possibly underused as a result. There was a bit of daylight, though. The Caledonian Canal was finished in 1822 and the 1840s was the great decade of railway development, although it was a bit later than that before there was significant coverage in the Highlands. By then canals had outlived their usefulness.

On the other hand, the canal was used for short distance trips within the Highlands. For instance the Glenurquhart shinty team which came to Inverness for the Great Game against Strathglass travelled by steamer from Drumnadrochit to Inverness.

Since I knew Telford from a past life I do assure you there was no confusion with Wade --in fact dearie if you read Scarlet's post you will find no mention of the suggestion that Wade built the Caley canal as  the observant and knowledge Charles  did aver. :003:

I lived on Dunain Road which ran down to Telford Street so being a nosey wee b--gger from an early age I soon found out the truth of who built it.

Ruthven castle was little more than a barracks for the troops I understand and isolated as hairoil but it sure looks imposing and--a little scary---ghostly even......whhhhhhooooooooOO!

:evil06:

in fact dearie if you read Scarlet's post you will find no mention of the suggestion that Wade built the Caley canal

:evil06:

My humblest apologies luvvie, but if you reread your post there is a hint of implication there. If you had said canals I wouldn't have spoken but "other canals"?