Chippies of Sneck

caley100

Right then, we have had some chippies come and go in our town/city.

Which is best and which would you not venture near?

Mine would be Ronnies in eastgate in its heyday, worst was Hilton a few years ago when a Chicken supper resembled a pidgeon with anorexia.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can guarantee (probably with support from Caley D) that Hilton is now wonderful, with their ?2.99 chicken supper a top of the list delicacy. Ronnie's in Eastgate was where IRA kids used to go for their "dinnur" - he must have made a fortune out of that.

I was outraged to see that the West End (Serafini's) has now become a Chinese!  :33: :018: :020:

There used to be an excellent one almost opposite the Phoenix on Academy St, but I think that went Oriental as well many years ago. What about the one on Wells St? Long gone, I fear, and I presume Jojo moved from the Bught up to Hilton before his son Mike took it over. Remember also that van that used to go around town? I recollect it used to spend long periods of time parked on the roundabout down the Ferry (South Drive or West Drive I think.)

Did the Rendezvous not used to do chips as well?

The van you talk about was owned by the Guibarelli's (sp?) as well....in the days of JoJo's father, also called JoJo.

At one point they had the Bught, Hilton and Oh Mama Mia (although I think the van had ceased to exist by then).

My brother apologises if the quality at Hilton has not been so good this last week as he has been off with a duffy shoulder, but he returns to work on Thursday so normal standards shall recommence  :015:

I appreciate i'll probly get shot down here but in the 20 odd years i've been up here i cant say i've had a great fish supper, some alright,some mediocre, some downright keech, but not one to wright home about,if someone can tell me different i'm willing to be proved wrong.

I couldnt tell you the last time i actually enjoyed a chippe bought in Sneck.

Same here.....they just don't taste like they used too.

Similar thread here...it seems it's down to not being allowed to half cook chips and not use dripping !!??

Could someone not introduce the 'Inverness Chip' ,half cooked in dripping, and register it with the EU? Bit like the Arbroath Smokie ? :024:

Without a doubt Ronnies was the best chipper Sneck ever had. He made a great fish supper but another delicacy was the steak pie supper done in the microwave - incomparable.

:021:

The other Sneck chipper which was pretty good was the Kilnmylies one. The chips you got there were huge sometimes.

I couldnt tell you the last time i actually enjoyed a chippe bought in Sneck.

Same here.....they just don't taste like they used too.

Similar thread here...it seems it's down to not being allowed to half cook chips and not use dripping !!??

Could someone not introduce the 'Inverness Chip' ,half cooked in dripping, and register it with the EU? Bit like the Arbroath Smokie ? :024:

You've hit the nail on the head there RNBCB, Chips will never taste the same so long as they're cooked in oil.

Kirsty's in Kinmylies did a rare Fish Supper but they've changed hands as well.

Aye red puddings were great... EU regulations prevented the colouring of the skin... makes you wonder what we were eating eh?

Anyway you can still get ' red ' pudding alas not the right colour though.

I forgot to mention the Castle restaurant, has'nt changed for years, and still using the crinkle chips too.

The Hilton Chippy consistently has the best chips by a mile. My missus bought a DOSH book and we tried Ramsdens - chips too pale & a wee bit hard, possibly flash fried in oil that was too hot. Sayin that, Ramsdens Scotch Pie was delish! ( I think it's actually a mince pie, diguised as a Scotch Pie)  :014:

• 2 months later...
Guest gerrybrisbane

I remember the Mr Chips on  the  way back from Caley Park on Telford Street was always Ok, but that could have been the drink... The chippy on St Stephens St (?) used to have 1 pound chips and hamburger roll for lunch, and we made the treck almost every lunchtime from the college (then into the railway club to wash it down!)

• 5 months later...

Ernie's across from the Phoenix on Academy Street in the 1950's was the place to sit down on a Saturday night after the Playhouse or La Scala ,for an impecunious teenager to get a big plate of chips and an Oxo drink for about a shilling.