Chippies of Sneck

caley100

I can tell you this.....Here in Cradlehall.....we must be the most isolated part of Inverness when it comes to access to takeaway food. Maybe thats not a bad thing tho

I used to live in Cradlehall and they certainly tried to put some sort of fast food outlet / chippie where the shops are but there were a chorus of objections from the local residents because of smell, litter, etc. Not really a bad thing at all that there's not one there.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jojo moved from the Bught up to Hilton before his son Mike took it over. Remember also that van that used to go around town? I recollect it used to spend long periods of time parked on the roundabout down the Ferry (South Drive or West Drive I think.)

I worked as a kid in the Hilton chip shop under JoJo whilst his son ran the van in the bught caravan site (same van that used to go to the ferry)

I have to say that under JoJo everything was class but Mike was into the money rather than the job so the quality suffered. eg JoJo dumped the left over chips from the night before, Mike re heated them in the hot fat and served them to the early fools that bought from him.

I remember the Mr Chips on? the? way back from Caley Park on Telford Street was always Ok, but that could have been the drink... The chippy on St Stephens St (?) used to have 1 pound chips and hamburger roll for lunch, and we made the treck almost every lunchtime from the college (then into the railway club to wash it down!)

mr chips :rotflmao: , but only for there unbattered sausages and odd occasion their chips were not to bad...gutted when i came up in july and heard it had burnt down (gran lived jus up rd from them)...cant find any chippies down here who do them

but the hilton chippie it is if im ever back up that way...prices look good, 2 quid for a sausage supper :thumb04:

Edited by Mick

Hilton by a mile just now. But the new Millburn Chippy, beside the Millburn Takeaway, is rather goooooooood and portions are really big, prices are decent, not cheap but not expensive.

Must give this new Millburn Chippy a try next time I'm up in Sneck for a home game.

• 2 weeks later...

mr chips :rotflmao: , but only for there unbattered sausages and odd occasion their chips were not to bad...gutted when i came up in july and heard it had burnt down (gran lived jus up rd from them)...cant find any chippies down here who do them

Mr Chips is open again, they were only shut for about a month whilst the place was refitted.

Culloden chippie............ :rotflmao: Say no more.

Did it open again after the fire?

Does albert still have it, as half chippy, half chinese food?

As a youth thats where i kept warm in the winter, playing the olympics game that was their.

Was pish at the hurdles, champion swimmer though.. :thumb04:

Got to nominate the Academy St chipper, if only because one of the owner's daughters was my childhood sweetheart when I was thirteen. Thought I was coming into a fried food empire for a couple of weeks or so...

An old saying of the boys, when we were boys.

Your always guaranteed off a chippie bird. :rotflmao: :thumb04: ;) :018:

Got to nominate the Academy St chipper, if only because one of the owner's daughters was my childhood sweetheart when I was thirteen. Thought I was coming into a fried food empire for a couple of weeks or so...

An old saying of the boys, when we were boys.

Your always guaranteed off a chippie bird. :018: :thumb04: :rotflmao: ;)

There's a "poke" joke in there somewhere!!!!

• 1 year later...

Following on from the ice cream thread, name yer favourite all-time chipper.

I'll start with the old Academy Street chipper, with the two parts, the carry out place and the restaurant, where ye got the same scran, but served on a plate. A revolutionary concept.

We lived in Hilton, but we never had chips from there for some reason...

I can honestly say, there is not one Chippy in Inverness, probably in the last 15 yrs or so, where i have sampled some of their wares and thought...Mmmmmmmmm that was tasty....and left me wanting more.

My Ex's dad had a great chippy in Ayr tho...so that compensated a little

There's a good chippie up on Tower road at the top of Cradlehall.

The Codfather, I've only used it twice but both times it was lovely.

I usedc it once...and the one thing that stood out was the price. to feed 5 of us it was about ?20. Mind you..i seldom have a chippy these days, so am maybe behind on the old chippy prices. Thats the price you pay of living in Cradlehall with no car!

There's a good chippie up on Tower road at the top of Cradlehall.

The Codfather, I've only used it twice but both times it was lovely.

I usedc it once...and the one thing that stood out was the price. to feed 5 of us it was about ?20. Mind you..i seldom have a chippy these days, so am maybe behind on the old chippy prices. Thats the price you pay of living in Cradlehall with no car!

I must admit I don't do the chippy thing very often so I don't know if it's about right or not. I think that driving into town to get one would work out just as much anyway especially in my L/Rover.

It was nice though.MMMMmmmmm

You missed best chipper in Inverness by not going to Hilton.

Agreed Caley D. (And I won't tell them that you have an interest here in that your brother is a senior member of staff there! :D )

I'm talking of Hilton chipper in the 70s, when the word was Jojo spat in the chips, or so my neighbour said (she still got her chips from there). Probably nonsense but such is/was our narrow-minded suspicion of foreign-looking fellas.

Do they still have a Chipper mob?

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love the West End Chipper. I was surprised it went as it always seemed really busy. That first pizza direct isn't too bad for a takeaway but lorimers, IMHO, isnt too great. One place I do like is Renatos in Dingwall. Went there after we were beaten by county. Sausage supper and their milkshakes are great. Never had a fish supper out of the place though. There also used to be a decent chipper in fortrose on the high street.