Old Banks of The Sneck

Glen Mhor

Over the years there have been quite a few different premises in the centre of The Sneck which have been banks.

Does anyone remember them ?

Just for a kick-off - the British Linen Bank on High Street which became the Bank of Scotland, the Clydesdale in Eastgate which became a Burger King and is now a bank again as the Lloyds TSB, the Clydesdale in Queensgate which became Haydens and the Bank of Scotland on the corner of Union Street/Church Street which was a computer shop and isn't it now a restaurant ?

Did anyone here work in any of them ?

Wasn't The Bankers an amateur football team and played in the Bught ? Is it still on the go ? Is my memory playing tricks ? Probably.

:024:

That new boozer on the High Street (name escapes me) used to be the Caledonian Bank. I think the name is still on the front of the rather impressive building.

Yes, Bankers are still on the go. Every year they launch an appeal so they can buy new, larger strips, a full set of zimmers and a couple of bags of fresh incontinence pads!  :015:

One other former bank is where Bar Pivo is now in Academy Street. That building is the original home of Inverness Royal Academy (hence Academy Street) which housed the school from when it was formed in 1792 until its move up to Midmills in 1895. It has been various things over the years since then, but became the Royal Bank, I think in the 60s or 70s before becoming Pivo.

The Royal Bank, and before it took it over, the National Commercial Bank used to be on the corner of Fraser Street and Church Street. It's now Hootanannys.

The British Linen Bank used to be on High Street. I forget exactly which building it was but it was round about where Bakoo is now.

And of course most people will remember the Bank of Scotland's recent move out of High Street and its replacement by the Caledonian Bar.

One other former bank is where Bar Pivo is now in Academy Street. That building is the original home of Inverness Royal Academy (hence Academy Street) which housed the school from when it was formed in 1792 until its move up to Midmills in 1895. It has been various things over the years since then, but became the Royal Bank, I think in the 60s or 70s before becoming Pivo.

The Royal Bank, and before it took it over, the National Commercial Bank used to be on the corner of Fraser Street and Church Street. It's now Hootanannys.

The British Linen Bank used to be on High Street. I forget exactly which building it was but it was round about where Bakoo is now.

And of course most people will remember the Bank of Scotland's recent move out of High Street and its replacement by the Caledonian Bar.

Hmmmmmmm, I'm starting to see a pattern emerging here Charles!  :drinking07: :drinking08: :drinking09:

Was the old Academy/Bank building on Academy Street not the Royal Hotel as well at some point, or do I have my buildings confused?

I vaguely remember stories of my father working in the vaults of the old Royal Bank in Academy street when some kind of construction work was going on.  He used to go on about how he was surprised the place never got turned over as they were basically allowed to wander into/through the vaults whilst they were doing whatever work they were doing with piles of cash lying around.

Many years later I remember he was working in the Royal Hotel when it was being stripped out.  We went down once or twice as kids to run through the place playing hide and seek and the like and I clearly recall that one of the guys on the job with him had decided that he could make a few quid from liberating the old fire hoses....all **** broke loose when upon taking a hacksaw to the pipe of the first one he cut on the wrong side of the stop ****.  Had he stopped on the first signs of water he probably would have been ok, but he was insistent it was just "water that was lying in the pipes" and proceeded to cut all the way through  :029:

Since Lloyds took over the old Burger King/Clydesdale at the corner of the High St,Inglis street - do you know who is moving into their old site at the corner of Union Street/Church St? It's been empty for ages.

Surely the last thing that part of town needs is another bar!!??!    :017:

Caley D... although I would insist that I was never a pupil at the Royal Academy when it was in Academy Street  :015: I certainly don't remember it ever being the Royal Hotel. For as long as I can recollect, the Royal was always on the corner of Academy St. and Union St. until it became the Clydesdale.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent the first ten years of my work life working for the TSB.  Most of the time spent on the corner of Union Street and Church Street but with occasional trips to Nairn, Invergordon, Tain, Gudgieville, Aviemore, Kingussie and Grantown.  Even got as far as Perth once.

As the TSB never issued their own notes we used to have to acquire them from another bank, so two of would walk around to the BofS on High Street, fill a couple of suitcases with around ?80,000 of used notes and then walk back again.  This was done most days by the same route at about the same time and nobody ever bothered us.  Eventually, Securicor took on the job depriving me of a bit of a skive.

I spent the first ten years of my work life working for the TSB.  Most of the time spent on the corner of Union Street and Church Street but with occasional trips to Nairn, Invergordon, Tain, Gudgieville, Aviemore, Kingussie and Grantown.  Even got as far as Perth once.

As the TSB never issued their own notes we used to have to acquire them from another bank, so two of would walk around to the BofS on High Street, fill a couple of suitcases with around ?80,000 of used notes and then walk back again.  This was done most days by the same route at about the same time and nobody ever bothered us.  Eventually, Securicor took on the job depriving me of a bit of a skive.

This information is too late  :019:

And where's Gudgieville supposed to be? (and why)