'Pagan' religion...

Hamish

Has anyone here got an interest in the indigenous religion of the north of Scotland (i.e., what might now be called paganism)? I'm trying to find some good source material. Not that I'm going to start worshipping water spirits and the like! More of an interest in pre-Roman/Christian culture. I'm researching writing a paper on how modern principles of 'sustainable land-use' are remarkably similar to the religious natural 'laws' that respected the land in pre-Christian times. There's a school of thought these days that suggests that the suppression of indigenous culture across Europe by the Romam Empire has had a very negative net effect on the environment.

There's a school of thought these days that suggests that the suppression of indigenous culture across Europe by the Romam Empire has had a very negative net effect on the environment.

:rotflmao:

And here were all of us thinking it was people driving 4x4s that were to blame!

Can't work out if you're agreeing with me or not Charles!!

It's the philosophy of 'man overcoming nature', very much promoted by the Roman Empire and subsequently adopted by many European cultures, that is at the root of much of the environmental problems we see today...

There's a school of thought these days that suggests that the suppression of indigenous culture across Europe by the Romam Empire has had a very negative net effect on the environment.

It's the philosophy of 'man overcoming nature', very much promoted by the Roman Empire and subsequently adopted by many European cultures, that is at the root of much of the environmental problems we see today...

So its nothing to do with too many plastic bags then

So its nothing to do with too many plastic bags then

A symptom, not the cause! The Romans invented the plastic bag though, did you not know that?

I'm not really doing either. Just having a bit of a laugh at the prodigious navel contemplation that seems to be going on as the planet slowly poisons itself. Rather reminiscent of the concept of fiddling while Rome burns.  :015:

"Mehercule, Marcus. Oh me miserum! If you build that aqueduct there, in 2000 years' time the Galli, the Germanii and the Britanii will all jump on the bandwagon and you'll have a whole lot of people scooting about Chelsea in 4 wheel drive tractors! You can cancel Watling Street now into the bargain!!!"

Anyway, according to last Thursday's Sun, it's farting cows that are to blame  in any case!

I'm not really doing either. Just having a bit of a laugh at the prodigious navel contemplation that seems to be going on as the planet slowly poisons itself. Rather reminiscent of the concept of fiddling while Rome burns.  :015:

"Mehercule, Marcus. Oh me miserum! If you build that aqueduct there, in 2000 years' time the Galli, the Germanii and the Britanii will all jump on the bandwagon and you'll have a whole lot of people scooting about Chelsea in 4 wheel drive tractors! You can cancel Watling Street now into the bargain!!!"

Anyway, according to last Thursday's Sun, it's farting cows that are to blame  in any case!

It's more the paradigm of 'man over nature' that they spread that was/is destructive. Look at places such as Iceland where the Romans never got to and which held onto their native cultures. There they still have to ask premission from 'earth spirits' to build a new road! Maybe a bit extreme but it does reveal a genuine respect for nature that's been lacking in most 'civilised' countries...

there is 2 pagan groups in inverness who can give you some more news on it they are comeing with me on halloween night as its a pagan night so i be safe from the ghosts in tulloch castle,can give you the links if like to read more do some spells on ihe

Charles

Must be nice to be able to let your hair down on this Forum--funny stuff indee :015:d.

Hamish--Just contact Scarlet - I know some real mediums and I am not referring to those habitually advising IHE .

Not looking to speak to mediums really or even people practicing paganism (which tend to adopt a more southern form of the religion). I'm looking more for information on what indigenous north religious practices and beliefs were.