Naps Competition 2007/2008

Just want to say a big thank you to Bob for putting up the cash for the comp,i have received it safe and sound today a nice bonus i can tell ya!!

Also want to say thanks to all the lads who were involved and maybe better luck next year :001: :001:

Cheers Bob yer a good lad(You best stop backing East Stirling though!!)

Hello Reef...

Glad that you got the money, don't spend it all in one shop, especially not a bettin' shop  :004:

I doubt there's a better Comp on any football site, it's a lot of fun and a fair bit of money at the end of the season. We might need a change in the rules though for next season, I've had a couple of PVT messages suggesting that winners are barred from entering next season  :024: either that or they carry 12st 7lb  :015: I tend to agree with them Reef, yer too good for us lot !

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, more for some than others  :rolleyes02: my thanks go to CaleyD

for running the show, and to everyone else who entered the Comp.

It's been great for me chatting to you guys, for a few years now, at times I didn't think I'd see the end of this season, but I made it, I've enjoyed the craic in here, and I appreciate the friendship that I've had from all of you.

All the Best,

Canada Bob.

Will we be running it next year?

I'll run it as long as I'm alive, and that could be a while yet, the last tests I had came back better than I could have hoped for, seems the cancer is "at least in remission", so there's mileage on me yet, hopefully.

If things go as expected {business wise} for me in the next couple of months, I'm in negotiations with Nigel Doughty, owner of Notts Forest, and a whole host of other business interests, and a bloke called Bobby Genovese {over here}, both of them are Billionaires, {do a Google on them}.  Both of them want to buy me out on the shaving cream stuff {I got the US Patent granted a couple of weeks ago}, so things look good on that front too...

I'm hoping to make the Prize a LOT bigger next year, what do you guys think we should do, have one BIG Prize or pay the first 3 places ?

Other than that, I think we need to change the format a bit, I don't like it when folks go skint just because they've had a bad early run, I'd like us all to have a bet every week until the end of the season, wadderyerfink ?

Canada Bob.

First of all, thanks from me for your continuing generous sponsorship of this enjoyable competition.  Re changes for the future, I think prizes for positions 1 to 3 is a good idea to keep interest going if there is a runaway winner like this year. And, could you make it retrospective, please, - see who came third this year!. Only kidding.

Personally, I think the 'going bust' feature is integral to the game, and I wouldn't change it.

I did wonder if allocating 20 points per week, and allowing people to make up to 3 selections (min 5 points per selection), might be fun.  Then a player could say put 10 points on their 'banker' selection and have two 5 point 'outsider' selections as well. Or, of course, they could decide to place all 20 points on their 'banker'.  Allowing multiple bets  would give people a far better chance of over the weeks of getting a winner and therefore staying in longer.  But clearly these changes would add complication for the scorer, and I can well understand if there was reluctance there.

Maybe the old adage of 'if a thing's not broken don't fix it' applies here, but for me, I'll go along with whatever is decided.

I'll run it as long as I'm alive, and that could be a while yet, the last tests I had came back better than I could have hoped for, seems the cancer is "at least in remission", so there's mileage on me yet, hopefully.

Great news Bob .... must be all that clean living you are doing  :003:

Thanks for yer kind words, valued and very much appreciated, I've had me ups and downs the last 12 months, mostly due to the chemo, but seeing as how it's helped me beat the odds I'll put up with it...

As for the Comp, well I'm hoping to make it "massive" for next year {if things go well with Nigel and/or Bobby G}, have a look at the links below for a profile of them...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Doughty

I met Nigel a few months ago, and apart from being well in with Tony B Liar {we crossed swords on that}, he's a real nice bloke, no airs and graces about him, you'd never guess that he's worth a fortune.

Bobby G is a rare bird too, haven't met him yet, but the link below gives you a good idea of the guy...

http://www.mojohd.com/mojoseries/bobbyg/

If things go as expected/hoped for Bobby G will promote Ultra Shave in "the America's" and Nigel will probably take the rest of the world. I'm hoping to do better with these guys than I have done over the last couple of years with Brian Smithies aka Ultra Skin Care UK. I signed a deal with him so that he would have distribution rights in Europe, on the understanding that I'd get a royalty payment every 3 months, and in over 2 years now I've not had a penny off the b******, to add to my chagrin I'm out 10k that I loaned to help Smithies set his company up, right now I can't even get that back. A bad situation there is only made worse when folks tell me they think that Smithies was just waiting for me to fall off me perch, as seemed very likely in the last couple of years.

Anyway, these guys seem to be decent blokes, so if they come good for me, and I expect they will, then next year I'd like to offer the following prize money...

Say, 2,000 quid for the winner, 1,000 for the runner up, and 500 quid for third place.

As for changes to the rules, I know the bankrupt thing appeals to some, but I'd prefer to let everyone have a tenner bet every week until the end of the season, partly because it's shyte to have to drop out of the game, and {mainly} because I want to lay what they pick, all season long  :003:

Anyway, yer all part and parcel of this, so I'd appreciate the feedback, I'm sure we can sort something out, one thought though is should we limit the Comp to those who played this season, with a limited new entry of say 5 others ? I'd like to see a lot of runners, but if say more than 30 enter then CaleyD or whoever runs might have too much to cope with, thoughts welcome on this.

CaleyD... are you up for running the Comp next season ? anyone out there able to help out ?

All the Best, yea, and again, Thanks for the best wishes and support, it is appreciated.

Canada Bob.

If everything is explained to me, I should be able to help out.

The problem I had this week was that I missed a few weeks through no fault of my own, and then I was out of it.  But having a price for top 3 would make people play for a lot longer.  I like the system it is, it is simple and it works - there is no need to make it any more complicated, unless a spreadsheet can deal with it.

If all goes to plan with the summer developments for the site then we should reduce the amount of time/work needed on the admin side of running the site and I should be able to continue running things next year....if not I'll make sure someone is in place to ensure it runs.  On that note, lets not forget to thank Gringo for his assistance in getting the prices online this season.  It was great to know that we had each others back in ensuring these were, for the most part, placed on the site in plenty time.

Looking through some of the ideas people have posted and adding some of my own......

1.  Going Bankrupt - I like it as it stops people going **** for leather early on an "wasting" bets in the hope of getting a big hit.  However, I can see why it would be fun for people to have a bet every week until the end.  There's got to be some middle ground that brings elements of both in to play, just not sure what I think would be the best way to implement it is yet.

It could be that we stick with a starting pot of 150 or 200 and when people drop below zero we allow them to continue to try and bet their way back into contention but they pay 5% "tax" on their overdraft each week...something along those lines.

2.  Jokers - I think it would be fun to give everyone 2 or 3 Jokers which they can play whenever they like.  Possibilities for Jokers could be.....

"Double Bet", where they get to bet 20.

"Free Second Bet", where they get to place 2 bets.

"Match the Winner", where they don't place a bet and automatically receive winnings equivalent to the biggest winner.

These are just a few of ideas off the top of my head.  People could play them whenever they wished during the season.

3.  Missing Bets - At the start of the season everyone picks a team which will automatically be used if they have failed to place a bet for that week.  With the new forum software we have coming I believe we should be able to set up a reminder system which players can subscribe to so that they get an e.mail when the odds are posted each week....but I'll need to check on that specifically.

Think anyone missing 3 consecutive weeks (without prior notice) should be disqualified and replaced if we have anyone waiting for a place (see below).

4.  Restricting Entry - The cash prize is attracting people who don't otherwise contribute to the site in any way shape or form so I think we probably do have to look at who is allowed to play and who isn't....or more specifically, who's allowed to play for the prize.  There's one or two who haven't even visited the site since they dropped out of contention and stopped betting and that irks me a little.  So whilst I think it should be open to all, I think only people who have played the previous season should be eligible for the prize money....just my opinion though and it's up to you at the end of the day Bob.

Still restrict the overall numbers to say 30, and have a waiting list beyond that.  Anyone who drops out or is disqualified can be replaced with someone from the waiting list and take over the points of the person they replace.

5.  Prizes - Think a prize for top 3 is great idea.....and if Bob was in agreement I'd also like to see us allocate part of the prize pot to sponsoring a player at the club.  Means we have a signed shirt and couple of free tickets to the Sponsors Night to use as prizes....perhaps a booby/consolation prize to the worst performer over the season  :015:

6.  Multiple Bets - Having people bet on 2 or more teams each week becomes a total headache from the operating point of view and would probably result in us slashing the number of people who can take part to 15 or 20 people so as it didn't turn into a major job trying to keep scores etc up to date.  Not to mention the fact that it vastly increases the chances of errors.  I say we stick to one person one bet...apart from if we decide to use the Joker idea where handling the odd additional bet isn't going to be too cumbersome.

At the end of the day Bob it's pretty much your call on how you want to see it run.  Provided it's doable and the rules/guidelines are set out from the off and not subject to change once we're going then I'm happy.

As last season's winner I'd like to say congrats to Reef - a worthy champion.

Thanks again to CD and Bob and hope you both will be involved again next year - it's a great comp and probably where 99% of my posts come from.

As for my poor performance, I could blame missing a few games due to travelling, or perhaps the curse of Brew coming back (my picking skills were clouded when he took up the reigns again), but I think I'll blame the pressure of being champ and hopefully Reef will succumb to the same pressure next year and give us all a chance  :002:.

Thanks again and bet with you all in 3 months time - enjoy your summer.

I say if it aint broke,don't fix it,the format from this year was good perhaps just a little fine tuning for next year

1) Have to agree with Caley D,it should be limited to the same people that entered last year first,then if there are still places left then it has to be people who have at least been registered on the site for say 6 months or a year at least,we seem to be getting people just joining the site to get involved in the comp which i dont think is fair to the lads that have been involved in the comp for the last few years

2) I also like the bankrupt thing but maybe we could increase the starting totals we had so that people might be able to last a bit longer

3) Don't see any reason to confuse things by double bets etc it's in a simple format which is easy for all to understand so why change it?? Although i do believe Caley D is right about if your not able to get your bet on your automatically allocated the chosen team for that week I.E East Stirling :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Anyway it's up to you BOB your the money man so your decision is final but i think the format is about right

Cheers lads its a fun way to spend a saturday morning trying to pit yer wits!!!

As footballer's wife would say .... K.I.S.S. ...... (keep it simple stupid) ..... format is good, easy to understand, and it should also be easy for whoever is administering it to keep the stats/scores.

membership - should be restricted to whatever number competition admin decide is appropriate and priority given to those who took part the previous season(s). If - like me - you gave up part way through the season then maybe you should not get afforded any priority for taking part, but instead get some priority for your level of posts on the site. Once you reach the required number of participants, anyone else goes on the waiting list and those who drop out (by not predicting for 3 weeks in a row or perhaps 4/5 weeks in total) are replaced by someone on that list. If you are removed in this manner you get no priority the following season regardless of participation or posts ......

will do a little digging and see if we can do something that sets reminders on the new forum software. My biggest problem on a Saturday AM is that I am trying to do so many things for the game ahead that i always seem to forget this one ...

Lots of good comments, and all of them respected and taken aboard, I think we'll stick with the simple format, one bet a week, one team and all that, at least it makes it more manageable for CaleyD or whoever is running it...

As to increasing our numbers, I think 25 players is manageable ? as to newcomers I agree that we can't just let folks wonder in just for the money, {if we did that arf of bleedin Aberdeen would be shoving their way in}, but... I'd appreciate one exception to that, that being Tigerfox, he's actually my bag man, placing bets for me when I'm not able to put them on for meself, that and a bit more, Tigerfox aka Gary is a decent lad, done me more than a few favours, so I sort of owe him one, add to that I'd like to see what he knows about the minnows in the Scottish Leagues.

As for the bankrupt thing, well, I'm no keen on that, some of the lads that wet skint may well have been able to put a decent run together in the second half of the season {not to mention that I like Laying their selections on BF}  :003:

Other than that, I think it's a great idea that we can nominate a default team, beats the **** out of missing a bet just because you can't get on line, or you forgot {I've done both}, so we'll run with that for sure...

I guess we'll say that everyone who was in it this time can run again next season, can't remember how many that was ? 23 seems to come to mind, so 23 plus Gary, leaves a bit of room for a novice to join in, maybe we should invite a woman to join in, fair enough they know nowt, but it would be a laugh seeing who they pick {does anyone play in pink shirts}  :015: the trouble right now is I think it's all blokes, and as such we sort of respect each others opinions on the games, but it would give us all a laugh to see how little women know about football  :023: long as we steer clear of any hairy chinned thespians, we should be alright  :004:

Footballers wife might be a candidate, long as she don't know too much, we'll have to be careful with the women though, if they found out there's 3,500 quid going begging we'd be ore run with 'em...

We've plenty time to sort it out, so no rush for now

Canada Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up a while ago as i was out of it! Some dodgy Brechin game where the leader i think had them to draw and i had them to win 2-0upwith 10 ins left and they drew 2-2 if i remember right! Put me from going only like 10-20 points off the top to about 100 in a few minuites! Robbed i tell ya!!

I like the fomat the way it is. Being able to go bankcrupt makes it moreinteresting and also having just the one bet. Being able to bet on 2-3 teams makes it to compicated i think. Top 3 paying would be alright as well i reckon, kinda a consolation prize. Also limit it to pople from this year and others on he site. If word got out then could possibly have loads wanting to play to exploit the prizes. Also makes it more likely for the rest of us of winning! :021:

Bob - not sure about that woman thing - they'll wipe the floor with us - this season I introduced my wife to the Daily Telegraph Fantasy Football League that I have been in for about 10 years or so (28 players - 25 blokes three women) and she was only pipped in the last game week-end of the season due to not having any Portsmouth players.  In the end she finished nationally in the 8,000s and I finished around 125,000th.  :029: 

Anyway moving quickly along - as to the format - whatever is decided on I am ok with - I will leave it in the hands of those that know best (except for when they are trying to choose winners) :023: