Is the Highland divide getting wider?

Geographically the two towns of Inversneckie and Dungwall are a short distance apart. For many years the distances between their supports and footballing capabilities have had similiar closeness but the gap appears to be progressively widening.

ICT have a new stadium, an ever growing support, ever increasing attendances, financial stability and consolidation in the SPL. The Tinks are well lagging behind in most aspects. Lets even have a look (or a feckin laff :015: :015: ) at the comparable tables.

ICT Played 38 Won 15 Drawn 13 Lost 10 For 51 Against 38 Goals Diff +13 Points 58

Dungwall Played 36 Won 14 Drawn 14 Lost 8 For 47 Against 40 Goals Diff + 7 Points 56.

Comments?

I will put it on Over the Bridge for a comparison. :015: :015: :015:

Ross County have already reached their peak and will now slide down the SFL until they reach their natural level - probably mid to upper division 2. ICT will continue to improve, to the detriment of County, who will lose supporters to their SPL neighbours.

Peterhead may have a brief spell in the First Division, but Elgin City will eventually overtake Ross County and I can see these two (City and County) renewing their rivalry in the SFL.

Guest caley till AYE die

county have no chance of promotion net year with gretna,st johnstone,clyde and dundee maybe or even liviscum so i think they will be in a rela gation battle for most of the season but i think they will be relegated in about three years.

SPL2?? its just a new name for the first division, its not going to help c*unties cause at all. We all know how tough the first division can be though and with gretna and liviscum the league will be even tougher next season. C*unty will do well for a top 3 finish

David Sutherland talked about the prospect of an SPL 2, but felt that the idea was dead on it's feet as the SFL were expected to vote against it. The idea was for the more ambitious 1st division clubs to make the move up a step, but it's not looking likely

• 2 weeks later...

Even if the SFL clubs voted in favour of a 'Championship' league they must give two years notice of their intended breakaway and if the league is formed, what happens with promotion. Where do the winners go. The SPL have an agreement with the SFL to allow one team up. Would they change that in favour of the new breakaway league. Those teams who did breakaway to form this new league could find themselves excluded from the rest.

As for RC, I wouldn't discount their ability to succeed though I think St Johnston will win the Div1 championship. Gretna are in for a shock. They haven't, so far, had to endure a hard contest over a whole season. They walked Div2 but there was no competition. Div1 will be a totally new ball game for them.

I think their is a lot of myth surrounding the amount of money Gretna have spent in the past, in fact, I wouldn't be suprised if Tullochs (David Sutherland) hasn't put more money in to ICT than Mileson has into Gretna.

You think Bingham left playing in the SPL with ICT cos he relished the challenge of the third division??

Sure they haven't broke the bank with transfers but the wages and bonuses that Gretna pay far outweigh what other teams in the 2nd and 3rd can afford.

I still think some people believe it is a lot more than what it really is and blow it all out of proportion. Regardless of HOW the money has been invested and what it is used for, I would still be suprised if it was more than what Tullochs had put in to ICT, even before we had reached the SPL.

Gretna were paying some of their players £700/week in Division Three. I'm pretty sure that's about what our players get now. Mileson is constructing a 6,000 seater stadium out of his own pocket. Tullochs did so after obtaining loans from the Council to facilitate the work. Gretna have outbid SPL and First Division clubs for players on several occasions in the past few seasons, i.e. they outbid Falkirk for Martin Canning, they gave more money to Stevie Tosh than anyone else could, they gave James Grady more cash than the likes of Dundee or St Mirren could offer. Since Tullochs took over we have been outbid on players wages on numerous occasions - Derek Adams got more money from Livingston, Gary McSwegan/Jim Hamilon more from County, Steven Robb more from Dundee. If Tullochs had invested at a similar level to Mileson I doubt that would've happened.

This is absolutely NOT a criticism of Tulloch's though. They have allowed us to develop as a club and given us SPL football in Inverness. Their investment in 2002 gave much needed stability and the stewardship of their board has seen us progress from strength to strength. They have refused to splurge money on wages, meaning we keep pay-day hunting diddies away from our club. I prefer that to the 'throw money at it' approach from Gretna.

Good luck to Gretna and Mileson though - at least it's all his own cash and he seems alright compared to the shower of egotists and criminals running other clubs in Scotland.

Can anyone tell me how much cash Tullochs have actually invested in ICT? I believe the stands are actually leased, not owned by ICT. Our situation is quite confusing. I really like Mileson's style, no Blazers, inflated ego or spin about him - just a real supporter investing lots of money. Good luck to them!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Caley83

Gretna have a brilliant winning team who were close to beating a very good Hearts team! Although they have lost no players!

They will walk the 1st! :020: :020: :020: :020:

Guest Bonzo

I agree that County have peaked, and that they will return to their natural level (between the second and third divisions) on a part-time basis within the next few years.

This can only be to our benefit in the long-run. County continue to attract a fair amount of Inverness Support, mysteriously still bitter over the greatest Club merger in the history of Scottish Football.

The lower divisions are in a dreadful state. We got promoted at just the right time, and it is absolutely imperative for our survival that we remain in the SPL for the next few seasons - or until the League structure is sensibly revamped.

Gretna may win the Division next season but it won't be a cakewalk I think.

Some of their players are now reaching the veteran satge are they not-in which case they will have to splurge to bring in fresh blood?

Mr Milesom is enjoying his success at Gretna so much that investing more cash for him is a no brainer.And he is an enthusiastic genuine punter so good luck to him.

Watch Gretna, they are a real dark horse coming up the straight fast .... :006: