merged: memories of the merger

old caley girl

[just a pity ICT dont have any fans like him

You mean ones who would ask questions like "Who was Dennis Wyness anyway?" :rotflmao:

Something like that or,what does Mike Smith Actually do,what actually happened with savagegate

what really happened in the marius affair,why is there no proper club shop etc

Mr Douglas would certainly take great delight in watching the board squirm

Also remember him running a few buses where the gentlemen on the bus made more of an atmosphere than the whole of Caley Stadium on some days

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant DM the painter. AD and DM did 95% of the fanzine as far as I'm concerned. Can't remember which big guy though. Either the guy who had the flat Dots lived in in Nelson St, a laid back big guy, or Duncan, who Dots said was just a jaggie anyway. He was none too pleasant and used to spit at opposing players.

Edited by The Mantis

I meant DM the painter. AD and DM did 95% of the fanzine as far as I'm concerned. Can't remember which big guy though. Either the guy who had the flat Dots lived in in Nelson St, a laid back big guy, or Duncan, who Dots said was just a jaggie anyway. He was none too pleasant and used to spit at opposing players.

I know who you mean DM the painter he is still in Inverness and it's not Duncan who is also still in Inverness come to think of it,He was a Big lad from Culloden he contributed a fair bit to the fanzine with AD And DM

Aye AD was a gers man and DM was a jambo, but I would say in the last couple of years of Caley that was their team. Dots went back to Caley because Hearts were crap. Wish I could remember the name of the big guy who owned the flat - I can see his face. Also there was a guy they called Carter USM (unstartable sex machine....).

I was always under the impression Dots was barred from Tynecastle for running with the casuals? thats when he started going the Caley games. Maybe a few seasons from the end. Always amused me that a lot of the so called "die hards" were pretty much strangers to me at teflord st. They certainly were not going to games when there was under 100 ppl there in the barren yrs

Also remember him running a few buses where the gentlemen on the bus made more of an atmosphere than the whole of Caley Stadium on some days

And by "atmosphere" you mean specifically....? :rotflmao:

And is Smee suggesting that those legendary Caley Rebel Heroes were in fact relative Johnny Come Latelies?

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Thats how i recall it Charles. I was going to Caley games regular from late 70s, right up to the merger, and dont recall many of the rebels playing much part in supporting the team. Fair enuff......i didnt know everyone at the games...but i certainly dont remember many of the rebels being regulars over the years.

Edited by SMEE

I was always under the impression Dots was barred from Tynecastle for running with the casuals? thats when he started going the Caley games. Maybe a few seasons from the end. Always amused me that a lot of the so called "die hards" were pretty much strangers to me at teflord st. They certainly were not going to games when there was under 100 ppl there in the barren yrs

Dots may have been barred from Tynie for running FROM the casuals. He couldnt fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

no Caley takeover or disappearance of the Thistle name.

I wouldn't say a takeovers happened but I would say that a Caley bias still exists.

..and the predominantly blue design and removal of the stripes from the new shirt does little to dispel the bias !!! :rotflmao:

Even the BENI poster is predominately blue, but we are assured there is no bias

Where you been hiding man? Missed your dulcit tones :rotflmao: :thumb04: :018:

BENI's just a bunch of fans but you're looking for bias at the club?

Nothing stopping you forming your own NINI or whatever you want to call them ;)

Where you been hiding man? Missed your dulcit tones :rotflmao: :018: :lol:

BENI's just a bunch of fans but you're looking for bias at the club?

Nothing stopping you forming your own NINI or whatever you want to call them :015:

Tempting offer - may have already started on the Red & Black striped banner :thumb04:

I would point out however that despite my NOT looking I do tend to be bombarded with evidence ;)

What would i give for a support like that these days.

so you would love a support like that now, but your not prepared to give the BENI lads a chance against celtic :rotflmao:

your an odd one aren't ya!!!

I give the BENI lads the credit they deserve in trying to create an atmosphere but if you think a few flags constitutes a display then your sadly misguided.I would suggest trying to get a few singing first before trying for a display,dont try to run before you can walk.

Aye AD was a gers man and DM was a jambo, but I would say in the last couple of years of Caley that was their team. Dots went back to Caley because Hearts were crap. Wish I could remember the name of the big guy who owned the flat - I can see his face. Also there was a guy they called Carter USM (unstartable sex machine....).

Big Crawford USM. Where is he now?

And by "atmosphere" you mean specifically....? :018:

Nothing you'd ever be able to get your head round.

Dots may have been barred from Tynie for running FROM the casuals. He couldnt fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

;) :rotflmao:

Shyster Removals.....No Job Too Small. Just PM for a quote. :thumb04:

Bannerman.....carry on. Hilarious slant on history as ever.

Edited by Guest

he actually said that i was only 1 of 2 ex Caledonian FC fans he knew who supported ICT..

I think I'm the other one then....... :rotflmao:

I'd reckon you are.. :thumb04:

There are more ex snecker's, anti ict in Edinburgh than ct fans, that is a fact.

whether you lot like it or not, a lot of people left inverness when they didnt have football to watch up their. I know that for a fact, as i know quite a few who have. But never seem to bump into a lot who do follow on from afar, i wouldnt be daft enough to say they dont exist, now that would be stupid, but either they keep very quiet, or just are very thin on th4 ground compared to Ex Caley & Jags lads who never bother with the new regime.

Bannerman, good to see, you are still a class A knobend, some things will never change. You were about as front line as Bush & Blair/Brown ffs. Mr Falconer, now there was front line, i'll take my hat off to him, but you, tsk. Just another bank filling exercise to you.

Anyone wanna buy any tickets for your end, plenty going spare.

When Caley played in the HL, fair enough, the crowds were *****, but i can never remember ict filliing St J's ground, with folk locked outside with the new regime. The difference was shown when we had a decent SC draw, that was apparent, most of the town, wasnt going to get of their arses to go watch Caley V rothes etc, thats just silly saying you can draw comparances between the two, you lot know it & i know it, but i suppose, its your favoured straw for the grabbing. Mibbe i'm just ill informed.

IF Caledonian FC had gone alone, Caledonian would now have larger home averages, and they would be in the same league position, shame some had no backbone really.

thanks to the spies. :018:

and no, i aint AD.

There are more ex snecker's, anti ict in Edinburgh than ct fans, that is a fact.

Thats quite a sweeping statement. I couldnt make such a statement about a place with the population of Inverness, let alone Edinburgh! Those few hundred stay aways you mention have been replaced by about 4000 new faces. So, thats good business by anyones standards.

Am sure most teams would be happy to merge if they were to get 10 times the attendance! Dont get me wrong, I was Caley thro and thro, but i dislike a lot of ppls attitudes on here (prob mostly from the ones who never went to HL games!) that I have to forget them and move on. NO, I FOOKIN WONT, Inverness Caledonian gave me FAR more enjoyment and memories than ICT has done. Thats a fact!

However, I have chosen to Back ICT in the abscence of Inverness Caledonian.

Edited by SMEE

he actually said that i was only 1 of 2 ex Caledonian FC fans he knew who supported ICT..

I think I'm the other one then....... :rotflmao:

When Caley played in the HL, fair enough, the crowds were *****, but i can never remember ict filliing St J's ground, with folk locked outside with the new regime. The difference was shown when we had a decent SC draw, that was apparent, most of the town, wasnt going to get of their arses to go watch Caley V rothes etc, thats just silly saying you can draw comparances between the two, you lot know it & i know it, but i suppose, its your favoured straw for the grabbing. Mibbe i'm just ill informed.

IF Caledonian FC had gone alone, Caledonian would now have larger home averages, and they would be in the same league position, shame some had no backbone really.

thanks to the spies. :018:

and no, i aint AD.

:thumb04:

Thats quite a sweeping statement. I couldnt make such a statement about a place with the population of Inverness, let alone Edinburgh! Those few hundred stay aways you mention have been replaced by about 4000 new faces. So, thats good business by anyones standards.

Am sure most teams would be happy to merge if they were to get 10 times the attendance! Dont get me wrong, I was Caley thro and thro, but i dislike a lot of ppls attitudes on here (prob mostly from the ones who never went to HL games!) that I have to forget them and move on. NO, I FOOKIN WONT, Inverness Caledonian gave me FAR more enjoyment and memories than ICT has done. Thats a fact!

However, I have chosen to Back ICT in the abscence of Inverness Caledonian.

Remind me how many ict took a a cup semi final again would you.

That speaks for itself, does it not.

Well, I am AD, and i'd also like to know how many "fans" did ICT take to a Scottish Cup semi-final?

Its good to know that even as a young lad in my early 20s, with a head full of speed & bevvy, i could still see Charles Bannerman for what he is. A wee snide. Sorry, a wee snide with an over-exagerated sense of self-importance.

Not that you'd ever know unless we told you Charles but the Chic Allan Cup had a Thistle scarf tied to it, so chucking it in the River Ness was the only sensible thing to do (at 2am on a wet Sunday morning). If i ever saw you again, i'd likely do the same :thumb04:

There were more (ex) Caley fans at the UEFA Cup Final than will be at the next ICT match. :rotflmao:

[just a pity ICT dont have any fans like him

You mean ones who would ask questions like "Who was Dennis Wyness anyway?" :rotflmao:

This will be the same Dennis Wyness who i met in the Park Bar near Ibrox a few seasons ago, and shared a couple of drinks whilst telling him to leave ICT as they were "******* rubbish"?

Because if it is, i'm glad to report that he left ICT and joined Hearts shortly afterwards.

Charles, i'm no a 20 something speedfreak anymore, and i rarely drink either so your character assessment (as well as being over a decade out of date) is amusing but frankly well wide of the mark. But then, you're a journalist aren't you? Well, of sorts.....

Remind me how many ict took a a cup semi final again would you.

That speaks for itself, does it not.

Are you trying to compare what Caley took to perth with what ICT took to Hampden? Caley had one stand at McDairmid Park, which equates to about 2300-2500. This fable about thousands locked out is pure fishermans tales! From what i remember, ICT took about 5000-6000 to Hampden

think he means 2 rebels rather than 2 ex Caledonian fans ..... Mantis and IHE would be the two that spring to mind for me but I am sure there are plenty others .....

This IHE character was never an anti-merger Caley fan, he was a Celtic fan. Never heard a peep from this individual until internet message boards like this appeared & he started to build himself up as some sort of uber-Caley fan.

Like yourself Scott. In all my years of being a Dalneigh bluenose i cant ever recall seeing your face at Telford Street other than on your way to B & Q. Another one with leanings towards ra sellik who suddenly re-invented themselves.

To say that i find these sort of things unpalatable would be a fair assessment.

Edited by Guest

From what i remember, ICT took about 5000-6000 to Hampden

It was more like 1200 as i recall. The poorest ever crowd for a Scottish Cup semi.

Also, at McDiarmid Park, Caley fans were all over the stadium. There was approx 5000 who made that journey, which we highlighted in the next fanzine (4500 go missing on way back from Perth) when about 150 of us went to Nairn or somewhere equally exciting for Caleys next match.

1200 for a Scottish Cup semi final though, that speaks volumes.

Like yourself Scott. In all my years of being a Dalneigh bluenose i cant ever recall seeing your face at Telford Street other than on your way to B & Q. Another one with leanings towards ra sellik who suddenly re-invented themselves.

I wasnt there week in and week out, you are right. I also didnt go to away games out of town. However, I was there as often as I could be, in the Howden End. The biggest problem for me was that I had to work 2 out of every 3 Saturdays. About a year after the merger my job situation changed and I was able to get to more games so became a season ticket holder at the TCS.

That's fair enough Scott, i'm long past arguing with folk over who was where anyway.

TBH i cant stomach IHE or his alleged patter otherwise i'd be on here baiting you all every time you lost. That balloon reminds me of Fred Flintstone & i find it hard to hold a coherent argument with a Hanna Barbera cartoon.

Bannerman, i find, is a sneaky type who thinks that the actions of a hare-brained young lad can be used to mock him when he is pushing 40. I'd do it all again though......it was great fun.

Front line? :rotflmao: That'd be funny if Charles didn't actually believe it were true.

Lets see what he can come up with (if anything).

Edited by Guest