merged: memories of the merger

old caley girl

From what i remember, ICT took about 5000-6000 to Hampden

It was more like 1200 as i recall. The poorest ever crowd for a Scottish Cup semi.

Also, at McDiarmid Park, Caley fans were all over the stadium. There was approx 5000 who made that journey, which we highlighted in the next fanzine (4500 go missing on way back from Perth) when about 150 of us went to Nairn or somewhere equally exciting for Caleys next match.

1200 for a Scottish Cup semi final though, that speaks volumes.

Even IF...your figures were correct...all it suggests is that Caley had a massive part time following! Shame their real following was 1/10th of the numbers you give

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i remember, ICT took about 5000-6000 to Hampden

It was more like 1200 as i recall. The poorest ever crowd for a Scottish Cup semi.

Also, at McDiarmid Park, Caley fans were all over the stadium. There was approx 5000 who made that journey, which we highlighted in the next fanzine (4500 go missing on way back from Perth) when about 150 of us went to Nairn or somewhere equally exciting for Caleys next match.

Even IF...your figures were correct...all it suggests is that Caley had a massive part time following! Shame their real following was 1/10th of the numbers you give

The figures are correct all right , I was one of the last to get in and a LOT of lads were locked out that night FACT.

Edited by DALNEIGHCALEY

There was definitely a lot at the St Johnstone game at McDiarmid. I was one of those who couldnt get into the away stand (which was full) and ended up in the main stand with hundreds of other Caley fans (or to be more accurate - football fans, as i was in with a group of workmates, most of whom were jaggies). Not sure how many were locked out, I would put it at dozens (who stood on the hill looking in) or perhaps even into the hundreds rather than 'thousands'.

I was also at Hampden for the ICT semis and there was certainly more than 1200 at each of those games.

However, one common problem of both sides is the lack of crowds for the following weeks after those big games

I wasn't at the game in Perth so can't comment on that. I was at Hampden for the ICT semi v Dunfermline however. Total crowd was about 14000, maybe as has been suggested, the smallest at a semi. However ICT's share was way over 1200. We were only marginally outnumbered by Dunfermline, so assuming c2000 neutrals, I would have thought the remainder would have been split 7000 to Dunfermline and 5000 to ICT.

There were more (ex) Caley fans at the UEFA Cup Final than will be at the next ICT match. :rotflmao:

So are you saying that the demise of caley gave caley fans the perfect opportunity to ditch local football and go and watch the team they really supported ?

There was definitely a lot at the St Johnstone game at McDiarmid. I was one of those who couldnt get into the away stand (which was full) and ended up in the main stand with hundreds of other Caley fans (or to be more accurate - football fans, as i was in with a group of workmates, most of whom were jaggies). Not sure how many were locked out, I would put it at dozens (who stood on the hill looking in) or perhaps even into the hundreds rather than 'thousands'.

I was also at Hampden for the ICT semis and there was certainly more than 1200 at each of those games.

However, one common problem of both sides is the lack of crowds for the following weeks after those big games

This Jaggie, along with 4 others, was also inside McDiarmid Park that night. So it really it was an Inverness support...not caley !! :thumb04:

I was also at Hampden for the semi finals and can confirm that there were at least 5-6000 ICT following for each. Not to mention the crowd at Parkhead which must have been 4-5000 !

This sounds like the chap well known to many here, who used to come on the website and take the p1ss out of ICT, but who has gone very quiet since we made it to the SPL. He'll be back on if and when we ever get relegated or go bust.

I couldn't wait. :rotflmao:

There were more (ex) Caley fans at the UEFA Cup Final than will be at the next ICT match. :rotflmao:

So are you saying that the demise of caley gave caley fans the perfect opportunity to ditch local football and go and watch the team they really supported ?

You'd need to ask each one individually about that. I'm sure you'd get a variety of reasons.

Like SMEE says, i was always a Rangers fan first & foremost. Until the Scottish Cup match in the early 80s when i was torn between the two. By the late 80s i was going home & away with Caley only saw Rangers in Europe.

Some lads went straight from the merger into being season ticket holders at other clubs but after a brief period in 94/95 i didnt go to any football for several years. Depression & drug abuse was where i went.

Nothing that leaving Inverness didn't sort out though. :thumb04:

There were more (ex) Caley fans at the UEFA Cup Final than will be at the next ICT match. :018:

You'd need to ask each one individually about that. I'm sure you'd get a variety of reasons.

Like SMEE says, i was always a Rangers fan first & foremost. Until the Scottish Cup match in the early 80s when i was torn between the two. By the late 80s i was going home & away with Caley only saw Rangers in Europe.

Some lads went straight from the merger into being season ticket holders at other clubs but after a brief period in 94/95 i didnt go to any football for several years. Depression & drug abuse was where i went.

Nothing that leaving Inverness didn't sort out though. :rotflmao:

Experienced that myself bro.

looking at what happened to a lot of the other lads I think we got off pretty lightly :thumb04:

Every day i wake up & thank God that i never turned to Clach. I think i'd still prefer the years of head**** all over again first.

BNP it is not too late to make up for past mistakes - Clach still exist (just....) :rotflmao:

PS - glad to hear you made it out the other side....a few unfortunately didn't....

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

There were Caley fans locked out at St J that night. But my abiding memory of that night is the convoy of cars going back up the A9 that night - just car lights as far as you could see. If my memory serves me right there was a bit of needle for that match as it was a replay. At the first match a lady took ill in the Caley stand (I think she was the wife of the ST J physio) and there was an almighty fuss as Caley did'nt have an ambulance/medical team in the ground as was the case in SFL grounds. As for the old days I miss the crack of the HL but take great joy in seeing SPL teams playing in Inverness. I think I'm just older now so would maybe feel the same even if Caley had gone it alone then. I think sometimes us pre merger fans who feel Caley should have gone it alone may see the issue through rose tinted spectacles.What happened happened and ICT came into being and is what we have and support and that is that. It is no use going back over old ground. People made a choice and if some Caley and Thistle supporters don't support ICT that is their loss (my brother amongst them).

Every day i wake up & thank God that i never turned to Clach.

So probably do Clach!

Old Caley Girl.... :rotflmao: :thumb04: :018: Well said!

One other incident I remember in the original St. Johnstone game at Telford Street in Feb 1992 was that one of the St. Johnstone players kicked in the dressing room door in frustration at the end of the game. When Alec Totten came out to do his post match interview, we weren't quite sure whether he stood in front of the door to obscure the damage!

Aye AD was a gers man and DM was a jambo, but I would say in the last couple of years of Caley that was their team. Dots went back to Caley because Hearts were crap. Wish I could remember the name of the big guy who owned the flat - I can see his face. Also there was a guy they called Carter USM (unstartable sex machine....).

Big Crawford USM. Where is he now?

Also remember him running a few buses where the gentlemen on the bus made more of an atmosphere than the whole of Caley Stadium on some days

And by "atmosphere" you mean specifically....? ;)

Nothing you'd ever be able to get your head round.

I was always under the impression Dots was barred from Tynecastle for running with the casuals? thats when he started going the Caley games. Maybe a few seasons from the end. Always amused me that a lot of the so called "die hards" were pretty much strangers to me at teflord st. They certainly were not going to games when there was under 100 ppl there in the barren yrs

Dots may have been barred from Tynie for running FROM the casuals. He couldnt fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

:rotflmao: :thumb04:

Shyster Removals.....No Job Too Small. Just PM for a quote. :018:

Bannerman.....carry on. Hilarious slant on history as ever.

:lol: :015:

Do you just make this stuff up? It really is comedy gold.

Just repeating what the radio said that day, i never bothered going for an actual head-count. Was too busy sniggering as i recall. :rotflmao:

Just repeating what the radio said that day, i never bothered going for an actual head-count. Was too busy sniggering as i recall. :thumb04:

Was it the same radio that sed there was 250 000 Rangers fans in Manchester :rotflmao:

Just repeating what the radio said that day, i never bothered going for an actual head-count. Was too busy sniggering as i recall. :rotflmao:

Depression & drug abuse was where i went.

Those voices... all in your head :thumb04:

Depression & drug abuse was where i went.

Those voices... all in your head :018:

Yes. But they speak the truth. :thumb04:

I find it all quite funny reading through this thread. One day the 'Rebels' will stand up and admit that without the takeover of the beloved Thistle neither the funds nor the fanbase would exist to see ICT reach where they are today.

Sometimes standing up for your principles can come back and bite you in the bum. One of my work colleagues, a diehard of the blue and white persuasion, who vowed never to darken the turnstiles of ICT but instead enjoys the antics of an east end of Glasgow team now finds himself in the embarrassing position of having to sneak into TCS from time to time, hat pulled down to the eyebrows and collar up to the nose, just in case he bumps into others of the diehard brigade in the same boat as him. And that boat is....................................Daddy will you take me to see ICT.

Get a life people...........all 75 of you...........and come back and watch players who play for the money they earn and leave behind the diving, cheating prima donna's that make up the twins of evil.

I find it all quite funny reading through this thread. One day the 'Rebels' will stand up and admit that without the takeover of the beloved Thistle neither the funds nor the fanbase would exist to see ICT reach where they are today. I fail to see what your point is......we dont care where you are now, you're still not Caley.

Sometimes standing up for your principles can come back and bite you in the bum. One of my work colleagues, a diehard of the blue and white persuasion, who vowed never to darken the turnstiles of ICT but instead enjoys the antics of an east end of Glasgow team now finds himself in the embarrassing position of having to sneak into TCS from time to time, hat pulled down to the eyebrows and collar up to the nose, just in case he bumps into others of the diehard brigade in the same boat as him. And that boat is....................................Daddy will you take me to see ICT. This daddy would refuse point blank, end of. I've never refused my kids anything before, but i would do in that scenario.

Get a life people...........all 75 of you...........and come back and watch players who play for the money they earn and leave behind the diving, cheating prima donna's that make up the twins of evil. Never going to happen.

I'll assume you've got learning difficulties Alex, otherwise you wouldn't have ended your wee rant with such a ridiculous request. BTW its ra sellik who cheat & dive. The Rangers are a model of integrity that others would do well to emulate. :rotflmao: