v Arbroath

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are missing the point Don. We were/are mince. Up front the situation is dire. Barrowboy is supposed to be lethal at last nights level. Rory and Gary were too similar (in stature/style and playing ability). How many more chances is McAllister going to get? I echo Mantis' concerns. Where do we go from here?

Reading this thread shows exactly how blinkered a lot of people have become in recent years. There isn't a team in this league who hasn't succumbed to lower league shocks over the years and that will always be the case. Not so long since we were the so called giant killers. Generally the lower teams are going to give a greater fight in these competitions and, as has been seen, win through. The press and the fans latch on to the myth that, because your in the top league, you should be unbeatable against lower league teams. Thats what makes our cup competitions interesting. Would be pretty boring if only the top teams were to contest everything.

The fact is we're through to the next round and looking at the teams in the last sixteen there's a strong possibility of making a final this season.

You are missing the point Don. We were/are mince. Up front the situation is dire. Barrowboy is supposed to be lethal at last nights level. Rory and Gary were too similar (in stature/style and playing ability). How many more chances is McAllister going to get? I echo Mantis' concerns. Where do we go from here?

Like it or not those players fielded last night are Inverness CT. They are the squad and they are all expected to be of the same standards. There will be many times throughout the season when they will be called upon to perform. There will be times of injury and suspension. Times of illness. So we dont have much choice but to support and encourage them. The money isn't there to procure the players we really need so youth is the way we are going. Maybe the last chairman or the one before him or the board is to blame for what seems to be a shambolic start to this season but we have to bear it and get through it. Hibs, falkirk and Motherwell all came through similar situations and they showed that youth can come to the good but it doesn't happen instantaniously. If only they'd all develop as quick as Mr Black is doing.

So, by all accounts, Rory has yet another sub standard showing....only, this time against the all conquering Arbroath, the mighty second division part timers. He should be seizing opportunities with both hands. How long must this go on?

The guy is pure mince...lets punt him on a freebie!

Guest Spectre

Plus it's a good thing to give 'fringe' players a chance to prove themselves, which we and other clubs have done in this competition before. Otherwise you risk a schism in the squad between the 'first team' and those making up the numbers.

And it also means a few key players will be fresher for a crucial match on Saturday.

I wasn't saying that we should have hammered Arbroath or even won comfortably. What I am saying is that we can't afford to be underestimating the opposition and/or fielding anything other than our strongest 11. We probably took more "big scalps" in our first 10 years than any other team has done in such a time frame and, as a club, we should be only too aware that some of these were down to the opposition underestimating us, or not showing us due respect.

It's got nothing to do with "not supporting the players" and I'm as happy as the next guy that we made it through to the next round. What I'm getting at is that lessons are not being learned or even remembered from the past.

Yes, some of the younger lads may well be called upon during the season to play due to injury or suspension, but there's a vast difference between having to field a couple of fringe players for those reasons and making wholesale changes for no obvious reason. Yeah, you might want to give the odd one a start to give them experience, but as I have said from day one, that should be done when you can surround them with guys who are a little more experienced and who can guide and assist the less experienced lads through the mental pressures of the game.

Cup matches bring the need for a higher level of mental preparation, something which we excelled at during the early years under Pele and was one of the largest factors in our early successes IMO. This preparation was carried on by the players even after Pele had gone, but as we've lost players in the last few years we've lost that mental edge and it's obvious that nothing is being done to prepare players in that fashion these days. Their seems to be this attitude that if your fit and can run around for 90 minutes then that's all that is needed.

Not much to add to what's already been said really. We were poor, they were up for it. We certainly never looked in danger of losing though.

Blackie was once again the star man for me. He looked really composed throughout, and finally seems to be really maturing.

Esson made one fantastic save in the first half, but couldn't do anything about the goals. It would be very harsh to drop Michael, because he's done nothing wrong, but Essons distribution is so much better, and he actually saved a penalty!! (In fact, I think he guessed the right way for all of them).

The defence just doesn't look confident to me. They were doing us for pace all the time towards the end, and we seem to panic too easily. Lionel was lucky not to get sent off in normal time, and as entertaining as he can be, I think he's too much of a liabilty.

Vigurs was excellent, and took his goal brilliantly. Bazza had a good game too, and nearly scored a superb individual effort.

Cowie.....hmmmm, he seems really out of sorts at the moment. Certainly not at the standard he set last season.

Up front....Wood was ok I thought, but Rory....well, just how many chances does he get??

The less said about Barrowman, the better :rotflmao:

Cracking night, a really good game for the neutral.....cracking fight too!

Oh, and a special mention for their keeper. He was excellent all night, and had a real good craic with the ICT fans behind the goals. Top bloke :thumb04:

I hear what all the grumblings are about Roddy. The CIS cup does throw up lots of odd results as a lot of the bigger teams don't always field a strong starting eleven. Crowds are generally poor for this competition as well. It is disturbing that the likes of Barrowman & Rooney did not exactly set the heather on fire and we all know the limitations of Rory & Wood.

Go back three weeks, we stuffed Aberdeen in their own backyard, nobody gave us a chance, but we did it. These games are about testing the water. It should have been a confidence booster but it wisnae. Do you know this, if Brewster had fielded his strongest eleven throughout the match and won 7-0 we would still have dissenters complaining the likes of Rory and Wood never got a game, what an opportunity for them. Spectre or somebody got it right, we conserved some of the lads energy for the real bread and butter of the SPL, that is where we will be judged by all.

And we still won through to the next round, what a team, what a manager.

**** me - peeple are agreeing with me - can soon change that !!

Anyway I totally stick by original post and that is not becos I am anti-Brew - I think he made a BIG mistake but he/we got off with it. I also agree that we have no divine right to beat teams like Arbroath especially in the cup AND M4TJ is rite - there were bigger "fallers" than us.

According to reports Wood and McCallister "failed" as did Barrowman and Rooney - I would suggest that it may not have been the case if it was played the other way around. The two main starters are told they have an hour and they go to try and finish off the game - allowing the two yoofs to come on against a demoralised outfit - theory I know but better than Brews.

Plus our squad will never be of an "equal" standard - we will always have the few stand outs, the few reliables, the few inconsistents, the few who can play if they have to. Last nite was NOT the time to experiment.

Falkirk may tell us a lot about the season ahead - I think that we may well pinch it as I feel that we will be the Arbroath on Saturday but we do have the "talent" to soak it up and hit on the break.

Do they still change ends at half time at Gayfield? I remember having a good blether with (injured) Tokely in the burger van queue at half time, back in the day.

How many balls made it over the stand, onto the beach?

Do they still change ends at half time at Gayfield? I remember having a good blether with (injured) Tokely in the burger van queue at half time, back in the day.

How many balls made it over the stand, onto the beach?

Aye they changed ends, so all the Lichties trekked round each time the team changed ends, ie all night plus the pens. Maybe you don't know this but there's segregation in div 1 so they had to install a whacking great double fence at halfway, years ago. Still it was open last night.

I reckon 1 ball on the sea side and another over the main stand....

I agree with many of the previous comments regarding last night's game.

Black was generally the playmaker and Vigurs and Barry played very well. Wood did well as did Duff (who ended up looking like a young version of Terry Butcher with blooded bandaged head).

I thought Tokely was again suspect (as did all the Arbroath fans I was sitting with) and Zadi is just far too inconsistent.

Barrowman did everything other than ask to be sent off. What was that about?

whilst many are claiming we should have put out a stronger team it seems that many of the guys that were brought in

e.g. vigurs , wilson, wood and esson were our best players on the night, and that its a few of the so called first 11 that have been the problem last night and over the past few weeks.

dont think brewster underestimated them at all though and that with a couple of exceptions started a very decent side, its just cup football and the best side is in the next round

whilst many are claiming we should have put out a stronger team it seems that many of the guys that were brought in

e.g. vigurs , wilson, wood and esson were our best players on the night, and that its a few of the so called first 11 that have been the problem last night and over the past few weeks.

dont think brewster underestimated them at all though and that with a couple of exceptions started a very decent side, its just cup football and the best side is in the next round

:rotflmao: ;) :015: :thumb04: :018: :lol: