YOUTH OVERKILL

tokelyisvictorious

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having the club captain and a man who scored 29 goals last season on the bench was a wrong decision.

Barrowman scored those goals at a lower level though and by all accounts hasn't been that great recently. Nothing terrible just not getting the breaks that you need as a striker. Munro, as club captain, isn't necessarily a guaranteed start and he will know that to.

I don't intend to have an agenda against vigurs, but today he was off the pace. Nothing against him and i hope he turns into a great player for us, but only once he sorts out his attitude.

What attitude issue is this? It's interesting you try and paint Vigurs as having an "attitude issue" when no one else seems to see it.

Vigurs was one of the few home players who actually looked like he was trying to play football out there today. Nice to see some passes ALONG THE DECK, something that appears to have gone out of fashion at TCS recently.

No wonder we struggle to retain possession when even the simplest of short passes end up being unnecessarily chipped or drilled making it harder for the receiving player to control. I noticed this loads of times today.

Without being outstanding I thought the youngsters did what you would expect players of their experience to do, this is their first full season in the SPL. Should they all play at the sametime ? to be honest I'm undecided.

However I thought some of our more experienced players need to step up. I hate to criticise players but, Ross Tokely the guy gives his all in every game but today on occasions he punted that ball to nobody when he had time to pass to his own player.

Cowie needs a shake maybe even dropped, he was not interested in doing a bit of graft today hopefully the paper talk has not got to him.

Rooneys commitment and effort impressed me, but he does need to work on that first touch. Hopefully Brewster can sort that his first touch was first class.

Controversial thought, do we need a youth set up? youth teams are made up normally of local players using our geographical location to our advantage why not do an "old firm" and just pick off the best performers at 19 to 20 years old from the Highland League, Ross County Elgin City etc. The money saved from running the teams could be put to improve the performance of the first team squad

Controversial thought, do we need a youth set up? youth teams are made up normally of local players using our geographical location to our advantage why not do an "old firm" and just pick off the best performers at 19 to 20 years old from the Highland League, Ross County Elgin City etc. The money saved from running the teams could be put to improve the performance of the first team squad

I think thats really quite a silly idea.

I said it was a controversial thought, but I would be genuinely interested why you think it's silly, you have dismissed the idea but have not said why.

Its been well documented by brewster that he doesn't have the right attitude in training.

Where has this been documented? If you can provide a link that would be super.

sorry can't find one, you're just going to need to trust me. I'll phone up brew tommorrow to confirm it.

mainly its the fact that he made effort to track back that annoyed me.

maybe its to do with his style of play that he looks so relaxed, but he didn't seem to give his all today.

by the way, i think that the cost of buying the best players from highland league and neighbours would be much higher than the costs of running our youth team. But it is refreshing to see some new ideas.

I said it was a controversial thought, but I would be genuinely interested why you think it's silly, you have dismissed the idea but have not said why.

In no order in particular...

1. The old firm have a youth set up too, both of which have produced club captain and several 1st team players.

2. We dont have an automatic first shout on ALL local promising youngsters. And they wont be free.

2. Vigurs

2. Would you rather a 19-20 brought up by Alec Cleland and the support of an SPL club or by Clachs/Nairns/whoevers youth system.

3. Wood

4. It's an important part of the community I'm sure.

5. Duff.

6. Money will not necessarily improve the first team's performances. :rotflmao:

7. A player brought up by the youth squad will know the score, will find it easier to fit in, and will hopefully be loyal.

This is not to say that poaching players isnt important, but we can and are doing both.

can't get rid of the system just because of one slacker ;) :lol:

its always good to see our reserve team doing well, we play a much younger team than others yet always do well.

In no order in particular...

1. The old firm have a youth set up too, both of which have produced club captain and several 1st team players.

2. We dont have an automatic first shout on ALL local promising youngsters. And they wont be free.

2. Vigurs

2. Would you rather a 19-20 brought up by Alec Cleland and the support of an SPL club or by Clachs/Nairns/whoevers youth system.

3. Wood

4. It's an important part of the community I'm sure.

5. Duff.

6. Money will not necessarily improve the first team's performances. :rotflmao:

7. A player brought up by the youth squad will know the score, will find it easier to fit in, and will hopefully be loyal.

This is not to say that poaching players isnt important, but we can and are doing both.

:thumb04: :018: i love a good arguement

I honestly believe that we were unlucky yesterday. We controlled the game for the most part, looked comfortable on the ball and were unfortunate not to have been 2-0 up after the first 60 minutes. The young guys (Duff, Vigurs, Rooney & Wood) certainly played their part in this.

The result went against us, and I'm sure if you got an honest opinion from a St Mirren fan, they would admit they stole the points, but that's football. I'm sure over the course of the season we will get results in our favour that we maybe don't deserve!

The main thing is not to panic when this happens. It is difficult to know what personnel changes will make a positive difference, and we are never going to be privvy to all the gactors involved in picking the team (i.e. attitude, fitness, performance in training, etc.). Yes, it would be great to have the Imrie who terrorised the Dons at Pittodrie every week, but players, like everyone, go through peaks and troughs.

One thing taht I 100% disagree with is the assertion that the young players are somehow to blame for yesterday's defeat. If these guys are the future of the club then the future looks bright.

I personally thought the youngsters were okay... i have been calling out for a couple of years for ICT to give youth a chance...

Is there a decent youth right back???

Tokely was a liability again... he has been absolutely shocking in 3 of the 4 games I have seen this season...

Edited by Ivy League

once you see the extensive highlights you'll see how flimsy we looked in midfield and how much like a bulldozer we were up front (strong but slow and easy to handle). If we want to beat hearts, and it looks like we're going to need to with our fixtures, then we can't play all three.

Odd. We managed to beat Falkirk last week with all three playing.

Yes i agree. In my opinion, Brewster has to go! We are going nowhere as a team. He needed to paly the best players as we are going to be fighting St Mirren for relegation.

Yesterday was a disgrace. The team has no direction, they do not move off the ball, long ball tactics all the time. To be outplayed by St Mirren in football terms is appalling. The lame lies totally with Brewster. What does he do with thses guys during the week. It is football, not headball. Under Brewster we are going down. Get him out! How long are we going to put up with these shocking performances. God what must Tokely do to be dropped. He is treading water.

Cannot believe we got so much praise for the Falkirk game we were average to say the least. I have never seen such an unfit lad as Wood yesterday(more like lump on Wood) and alos why does Fraser not come of his line. Give Esson a chance.

Tokely was a liability again... he has been absolutely shocking in 3 of the 4 games I have seen this season...

I have to agree with that, the amount of times he left the left wide open was horrible to watch and its the main reason we lost the second goal. He seems to hot and cold for my liking just now which is worrying! Shocker of a game yesterday after a decent shift against Falkirk

I don't intend to have an agenda against vigurs, but today he was off the pace. Nothing against him and i hope he turns into a great player for us, but only once he sorts out his attitude.

Its been well documented by brewster that he doesn't have the right attitude in training.

Surely if this was true, a manager, particularily a disiplinarian like Brew would carpet him and let him nowhere near the 1st team. Never mind reward him with a starting place for two weeks on the trot?!?!

It is good to see the young ones on the pitch but we need maturity.

Duncan and Proctor should be back for the hearts game.

They did play well.

both have just come back to training this week so i dont think that they have fully recovered yet. but once they have i would definitely get the two back in there. proc right back and duncan usual position. i think tokely needs competition to perform to his best.