The enigma that is Ross Tokely

Council Juice

Some would say his performances havent been the best of late, Others say he's a defensive disaster waiting to happen.

The rest love him unconditionally. Me, well, i've a different perhaps more radical view. Play him somewhere else on the pitch.

One of the main problems with his forrays into the opposition half, which can be a joy to watch, is is complete lack of ability to get back to cover that ruddy big gaping hole he's left where a right back should be.

Recently i've noticed though as a player at set pieces he uses his strength and height well and has laid on a few chances for team mates with cut backs etc. Perhaps he could do thid on a more permanent basis.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying play him right up front or anything rash like that but as a right midfielder with Proctor in behind him so its a solid bank on the right flank. Cowie could then be utilised as a supporting forward and leave Duncan and Black in the middle with McBain on the left (another lad who can defend so two cover flanks)

Who's chosen to play up front on their own is anyones guess, probably Rooney with his height although his lack of pace may be a problem.

Cant see any of this ever happening but does anyone have any other thoughts or is anyone mad enough to be in agreement. (stranger thhings have happened)

Some would say his performances havent been the best of late, Others say he's a defensive disaster waiting to happen.

The rest love him unconditionally. Me, well, i've a different perhaps more radical view. Play him somewhere else on the pitch.

One of the main problems with his forrays into the opposition half, which can be a joy to watch, is is complete lack of ability to get back to cover that ruddy big gaping hole he's left where a right back should be.

I cannot see how any defender moving up the park does not leave a 'hole' in the defence unless...oh yes I've remembered, the manager has trained the rest of the team to move round into the 'hole' to provide cover.

No, no, not Rossco he should go upfield, provide support, make assists AND be back in place at the same time to cover the 'hole' he left, according to the bulk of the 'supporters' on here.

Tokely played right midfield with Proctor at right back in the 3-4 defeat against Aberdeen so it has already been tried.

I don't think he's being playing well this season but will he be dropped? As you rightly pointed out he is the focus for pretty much all our set pieces so without him in the team we'd have to come up with some new ideas!

I must add that in the player's defence he is constantly 'encouraged' by the manager to get forward especially when we are attacking the North stand in the second half

Edited by kencar

There's never a 'gaping hole' when Barry Wilson is on the park.

I agree that he would be better employed in a more attacking role though, particularly when our opponents put a nippy winger out on the left.

At last, someone else who can see that Ross is at his best when Wilson is in front of him. They know each other well, they know where they are strong and where they are weak and they play to their strengths. We all know Ross is slow to recover, he always has been, and it's only in this last couple of seasons it's become a huge issue.....why? Because nobody is covering until he gets back.

I probably fall into the "Rossco is God and nobody had better say otherwise" camp because I think he is one of the last few players that epitomise what ICT were all about, and should still be all about. A team of grafters who will go out there and sweat blood for each other if that's what was needed, a team who's heads never went down when we lost a goal and could step off the park after any game and hand on heart say they had given everything...win, lose or draw.

That's not to say that I think these boys should be guaranteed picks, far from it, but give me 11 players out there with a bit of fighting spirit ahead of 11 pre-madonnas looking for a foot up any day of the week.

Yes, Barry and Ross are at their best when together.

But, Roscoe isn't a SPL player and Barry isn't fit enough or fast enough for the SPL anymore. I don't mind Barry coming off the bench but he still isn't fast enough then, Brew should be giving Zander a chance instead of Barry.

As for Ross Tokely, he shouldn;t be in our squad at all. Horrible player.

But, Roscoe isn't a SPL player and Barry isn't fit enough or fast enough for the SPL anymore. I don't mind Barry coming off the bench but he still isn't fast enough then, Brew should be giving Zander a chance instead of Barry.

I think I'll just agree to disagree before I end up launching myself into a wee rant :rotflmao:

And what is an SPL player. Apart from a number of high cost OF players the majority of the rest are pretty much of the same standard and the majority of our squad could fit into any of the other teams. Our problem is not the standard of player. Its the teamwork and understanding. Ross Tokely makes his runs and often gets in an excellent cross. Others, who should be covering, dont do their job.

Look at Celtic. All their backs make runs forward but they have midfielders attuned to this and who get back and cover. They believe in attack from the back and defend from the front.

Rosscoe and Bazza are already legends but calls to bring them back together - give me a feckin break!! Ross has never been a consummate SPL player - he has always lacked a bit of pace and he has always looked awkward - but he has made up fer that by staying fit, giving 110% to the cause and bringing a breathtaking overlapping element into his and our game. He has also benefitted from the development of positional sense that simply means that he anticipates opponents more than most.

IMHO Rosscoe was at his best when Darren Dods provided the cover - Rosscoe was at his best when Dods and Duncan provided the cover and allowed Rosscoe and Barry more rein. Rosscoe was at his best when other coaches hadnt sussed how to play against him, keep him on the back foot, play pace against him and stop him from powering forward where he was at the most dangerous.

Opposition are now aware of his weaknesses and the teams and exploit them - The years of extreme effort on his behalf are evidently taking their toll.

Ross cant play anywhere other than full back - at least not in the SPL. It wouldnt do him any damage to be rested a bit - like Bazza has been in recent seasons. That may allow him to charge up his batteries and I wouldnt wish fer anybody else in reserve if we had to turn to him. But being the proud individual that he is would he accept that role.

Unfortunately I dont think he is going to have a choice.

he just needs to pay more attention.

I think most of them need to pay more attention by the looks of things. Even better, maybe the manager should pay more attention to how he can play to his players' strengths instead of randomly shifting personnel round the park.

I'm with CaleyD on this one though. Ross epitomises everything this club used to stand for and he can still do a job for us when teamed with the right players. He's really no better or worse than many other players at this level and if the whole squad had his commitment we would be all the stronger for it.

I think its all very well getting forward as a full back. In the modern game its a nessescity for a full back. But the cover must be there and the runs must be timely. The Full back should be aiming to get back as soon as the ball is relinquished either through loss of posession, a cross leading to chance, etc unless he can offer further attacking benefits.

No one doubts when Ross is on the front foot he is very much a handful and when he's being pinned back by wee nippy turd he struggles. I just think there must be a way to utilise him better and cover up his frailtise.

Dropping Maguire might help?

Playing him as a forward when we're chasing a game, particularily in a cup could reap some benefits.

Tokely has not been at his best this season in fact he has caused several goals being scored against us this season. Is Proctor back to full fitness soon because Tokely could do with with being dropped for a few games to show him he needs to sort it out. I don't know whether it is he has just been found out and managers know how to frustrate him now or personally I think since his testimonial season he has looked a different player to the one we used to have. I do seem to remember him getting a dodgy injury that season though.

Also dare I say it maybe he has just gone stale at the club. He is though on his day a brilliant player for us so I hope that is not true.

Tokely's performance at right wing against Aberdeen was fantastic, though even though he can be a good player, he's too slow to be making these runs up the field from the defence. When he is upfront, his height makes him pretty dangerous at time, something ICT are really lacking at this point in time. Proctor is a far better option at right back though he can also change to be a right winger, and Brew should look at Tokely as being interchangeable too.

Another good option might be this:

-----------Proctor------------Munro-----------Hastings--------------

--Cowie-----------McBain------------Black------------------Imrie----

---------------------------Tokely----------------------------------

--------------Barrowman-------------Rooney-----------------------

By the use of this formation, Tokely still has his attacking edge that he has when he goes forward but wouldn't get as puffed out having to constantly run back to the defence and he can use his height to possibly knock the ball onto the strikers infront of him and for headers from crosses during a counter attack. This formation could also give him a freer roam of the pitch, something that could benefit both his play and ICT.

Tokely's performance at right wing against Aberdeen was fantastic, though even though he can be a good player, he's too slow to be making these runs up the field from the defence. When he is upfront, his height makes him pretty dangerous at time, something ICT are really lacking at this point in time. Proctor is a far better option at right back though he can also change to be a right winger, and Brew should look at Tokely as being interchangeable too.

Another good option might be this:

-----------Proctor------------Munro-----------Hastings--------------

--Cowie-----------McBain------------Black------------------Imrie----

---------------------------Tokely----------------------------------

--------------Barrowman-------------Rooney-----------------------

By the use of this formation, Tokely still has his attacking edge that he has when he goes forward but wouldn't get as puffed out having to constantly run back to the defence and he can use his height to possibly knock the ball onto the strikers infront of him and for headers from crosses during a counter attack. This formation could also give him a freer roam of the pitch, something that could benefit both his play and ICT.

hmmm i don't think so.....finding positions for players just to keep them in the team is crazy. if tokely is to play its in defence. i've heard of strikers becoming defenders because they are getting on a bit but not the other way round.

finding positions for players just to keep them in the team is crazy.

I wouldn't put Tokely if the team if I didn't think he was good enough and if played further up the pitch he would be very much good enough. If you want to find a defender that became a striker look no further that Craig Brewster as well as Chris Sutton, so it can be done. And even if Tokely was played in the position I put him in, it wouldn't be alien to him. He plays there most of the time anyway.