Morton V ICT Match Night Thread.

FortressICT

Caley D,

So the team loses and the manager gets slaughtered, the team wins through to a national cup quarter final and he gets slaughtered.

If the team were to say go on to Hampden and win the CIS cup would you still SLAUGHTER the manager or just admit that it's just a personal thing and whatever he achieves good or bad you just want him out ?

RM

Two home wins in the whole of 2008 (One against the mighty, and now defunct Gretna if am not mistaken)would suggest any supporter with a bug bear against the man is justified! He aint producing the goods!

Edited by SMEE

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph, I've supported Brewster on here more than once when I thought it was merited so my views are far from being any personal grudge.

The bottom line for me is that, over the piece, Brewster is not getting the best out of the team and it's time for him to be moved on. Bad managers will still get the odd result that goes their way, but I just can't be doing with the negative p*sh that's being served up at the moment and the fact that we're making the same tactical errors time and time again.

You may disagree, and that's fine, but there's nothing in what you've said which makes me think I should reconsider my stance on things....if you want to argue in his favour instead of trying to excuse my viewpoint on the unfounded basis that it's a "personal" thing then I'm more than willing to listen.

Caley D,

So the team loses and the manager gets slaughtered, the team wins through to a national cup quarter final and he gets slaughtered.

If the team were to say go on to Hampden and win the CIS cup would you still SLAUGHTER the manager or just admit that it's just a personal thing and whatever he achieves good or bad you just want him out ?

RM

We're not all turning into Aberdeen fans are we!!??

The game I was playing in tonight was also a shocker, so was hoping that the ICT score would keep my spirits up; gutting when I went over to my mobile to find we were 1-0 down. I actually had us to be 1-0 down at HT and 1-1 FT in the NPL, but changed my mind before going out :rotflmao:

Never mind, looking forward to the quarter final; where we'll no doubt get beat, but maybe get a little bit of coin in. Hope I get proved wrong though and we sneak into the semi final :thumb04:

Caley D,

RM

So, what has he achieved exactly? Narrowly scraped through against second division opposition? Woop de doo.

Caley D

Fair enough i'll take you're word for it that it's not personal but i feel that far too many people are quick to jump on his back.

The question i always ask to myself is who else could do a better job considering the restrictions that he has to deal with

i.e. wages, persuading players to head north etc etc.

Bottom line is Craig Brewster was a very clever footballer and is gaining experience and qualifications all the time, he is highly rated by other players, managers, SFA coaching staff, he wasn't the finished article as a young player and certainly is not the finished article as a manager but given time and support could well be.

I don't see or listen to many managers out there who would strike me as an ideal replacement unless people think that someone like John Collins or Tony Mowbray is going to head north for what CB is earning.

Fact is that most people who come on here spouting off that he has no clue about tactics are talking drivel themselves, at all times he appears to be very professional in everything he does and promotes ICT very well. I know for sure the same can't be said of all managers and indeed a few who have had the job at ICT

Ralph

5th Stand

Would you rather they lost ?

Caley D,

RM

So, what has he achieved exactly? Narrowly scraped through against second division opposition? Woop de doo.

Then first division opposition in Morton. Ask Hibs, Hearts or St Midden if they'd swap places with us...

Result is more important than the performance in this case I feel. Brewster picked a strong team, with a defence that fans have been crying out for. Makes a change that many also would agree with by taking off Rory early, and generally made a positive difference to the team performance from what I heard.

Good on the team for getting through, let's raise the performance on saturday and make it a good week.

Been listening to the Radio and apparently alot of texts have been coming in from fans speaking of their displeasure of Craig Brewster.

After looking at what Morton did to Hibs im glad we won in this fashion. Plus it shows we have some balls now when the going gets tuff in the cup...something we haven't shown in the last year or two.

5th Stand

No

I'd rather they dispatched lower league opposition in regulation time, I'd rather the team was firing on all cylinders, I'd rather players who are performing well keep their place in the team, I'd rather personal differences between manager and player don't get to the point that the player is sold off to rival teams, I'd rather....have Pele back in charge.

5th Stand

No

I'd rather they dispatched lower league opposition in regulation time, I'd rather the team was firing on all cylinders, I'd rather players who are performing well keep their place in the team, I'd rather personal differences between manager and player don't get to the point that the player is sold off to rival teams, I'd rather....have Pele back in charge.

What differences is that then ?

Then first division opposition in Morton. Ask Hibs, Hearts or St Midden if they'd swap places with us...

Morton are newly promoted and looking at the league table they're going straight back down, second division opposition like I said.

Result is more important than the performance in this case I feel. Brewster picked a strong team, with a defence that fans have been crying out for. Makes a change that many also would agree with by taking off Rory early, and generally made a positive difference to the team performance from what I heard.

Good on the team for getting through, let's raise the performance on saturday and make it a good week.

Results are important but so too are performances, otherwise there would be empty grounds up and down the country every saturday afternoon.

Fans pay to see attractive attacking football and a team that gets a reputation for that attracts a lot more fans than those that play ugly football. (I'm not putting ICT in that bracket but sometimes....)

Caley D

Fair enough i'll take you're word for it that it's not personal but i feel that far too many people are quick to jump on his back.

The question i always ask to myself is who else could do a better job considering the restrictions that he has to deal with

i.e. wages, persuading players to head north etc etc.

I totally agree that a manager can only work with what he has, but we've had guys in the past who've overcome the hurdles and had the team performing at, or above, their expected best. I wouldn't necessarily be looking at "obvious candidates" or even someone who is currently a manager elsewhere, but top of my list would be someone with motivational skills and a bit more of a tactical brain.

Bottom line is Craig Brewster was a very clever footballer and is gaining experience and qualifications all the time, he is highly rated by other players, managers, SFA coaching staff, he wasn't the finished article as a young player and certainly is not the finished article as a manager but given time and support could well be.

How much time can we afford to give him (or any manager)? Performances at home are beyond shocking, and as a result season ticket sales are down and gates are down. It's obvious that people are losing interest in the product being served up by Brewster....and the longer it goes on, the lower crowds will drop, the less money we will be taking in and the less able we'll be to spend to rectify the issues.

I don't see or listen to many managers out there who would strike me as an ideal replacement unless people think that someone like John Collins or Tony Mowbray is going to head north for what CB is earning.

See above

Fact is that most people who come on here spouting off that he has no clue about tactics are talking drivel themselves, at all times he appears to be very professional in everything he does and promotes ICT very well.

I think it's too easy to simply dismiss other peoples opinions like this. If it was one or two people then you might have a point, but we're get several people all making the same point week after week. They can't all be wrong so often.

Brewster might be a great ambassador for the club, it doesn't mean to say he's a good manager. Nobody talked ICT up more in the last 12 months than Marius Niculae, and the club had no problem screwing him over letting him go.

I know for sure the same can't be said of all managers and indeed a few who have had the job at ICT

Ralph

Would you like to name these "few" managers? Because I only know of 3 others...and all of them are big followers of ICT. Unless of course you mean that they have talked the club down because they re-employed Brewster?...which really just serves to argue my point for me. (That last one was retorical, I already know the answer)

What differences is that then ?

Why did Rankin leave? And don't tell me that wasn't personal.

5th Stand

I'd rather....have Pele back in charge.

Aye. Very good. :rotflmao:

At least under Pele, you left feeling you had been entertained for your money

My point exactly.

After listening to a desturbing fact that came through from a fan on radio, I too am more sceptical than ever about mr Brewster.

In 2008, before tonights match...

we had won just 7 games in 31 - 3 of which came agianst gretna

we had scored just 31 goals - 11 of which came against gretna.

not sure if these figures are accurate or not, but even so, it's sent shivers down my spine that we are in fact being sent to the slaughter by a man who would be more fitting to any football club as a fitness coach rather than a manager.

I was all for giving him a fair go again at ICT, but based on the performances of late, I am not so sure that he is the man for us. The only consistant part to our team is the ability to under-perform against any opponent.

After listening to a desturbing fact that came through from a fan on radio, I too am more sceptical than ever about mr Brewster.

In 2008, before tonights match...

we had won just 7 games in 31 - 3 of which came agianst gretna

we had scored just 31 goals - 11 of which came against gretna.

not sure if these figures are accurate or not, but even so, it's sent shivers down my spine that we are in fact being sent to the slaughter by a man who would be more fitting to any football club as a fitness coach rather than a manager.

I was all for giving him a fair go again at ICT, but based on the performances of late, I am not so sure that he is the man for us. The only consistant part to our team is the ability to under-perform against any opponent.

The tide is turning

TAXI FOR BREWSTER

All i meant was he has never let himself down whilst representing ICT

True....it's not as if he walked out on us only days after giving a big speech about how grateful he was to ICT for giving him his chance in management and how he was committed to the club.....oh no wait, that's exactly what he did. :rotflmao:

Not at all....I understand why he did it and I know and appreciate what he did for the club when he left. However, it's no different from what Robertson did when he went to follow his dream of managing Hearts, or what Paterson did when he went to Aberdeen and I'd take either of those guys back in a flash.

at the game tonight - didnt play well but we got the result and thats what matter's.The fans need to get behind

the team at home games they are to quiet - lets face it we all need encouragement when things are not going our way but as long as they keep fighting and trying to get the result it will happen. Was it Hastings that got the 1st goal ? and Rooney did well for the header down to Dougie so roll on Sat and lets get behind our team.

Well done to everyone tonight great result

Just back from the game, Dougie Imrie was superb, unforunately I had to leave before his goal (i'd have missed my boat)

I don't see how people could criticise Brewster over this game, the side lined up well 4-4-2 well balanced, the only thing was Garry Wood & Rory don't gel, Wood's the better player no doubt in my mind, huge difference when he paired with Rooney.

Russeldinho had an off night as did Cowie. Vigurs was very good when he came on. I thought though that generally the team did their job well tonight in what was a very tricky tie.

Also just back. Mixed feelings really - it was an enjoyable cup tie in the end but doesn't inspire me with any more confidence for the rest of the season after also witnessing Saturday's game.

Team started brightly - ball on the deck, most things going through Blackie who, once again, looked a class apart. The defence allowed dangerous crosses across the face of goal a couple of times though, and it wasn't much of a surprise when Morton scored, although I didn't see it properly due to the fecking great pillar in my way. As soon as they went ahead, the composure disappeared and the long ball pish started again - Hastings, Munro and Duff the main culprits.

Second half was mixed - a few nice moves but also a lot of scrappy football. Vigurs and Barry both made a difference when they came on - Vigurs in particular had one great run on goal and also a hooked shot well saved, and made a lot of intelligent runs and passes in extra time. In extra time we were the better team, as you'd expect, but Morton still made a few chances. Rooney was the main difference in this period - worked really hard and won the ball well for Imrie's goal, which was a beautifully-taken first time shot from the edge of the box.

Because of the number of chances created by both sides, the atmosphere, which was pretty good, and the novelty of being back at Cappielow, it was a good night, but the bottom line is that we struggled against the team and the foot of the division below us, and that's got to be a bit of a worry.

Positives - Rooney's workarate and ability to win headers against a big defence; Black's commitment; Vigurs' intelligent movement; and most of all, having had a go after Saturday, Imrie's all-round performance - worked his @rse off from start to finish, was willing to take on his man time after time and sprinted back to make tackles when needed. Cynics will say he's playing against "his level" in Morton, but if it gives him confidence and he's willing to try the same things in the SPL, we may have a truly effective player.

Negatives - Rory, sadly, looked shot in confidence and probably had to be sacrificed at half-time, although I was praying for him to have a good game; Cowie yet again looked listless and off his game; Duff, unfortunately, looked quite shaky at times; and although he won the ball well as ever, Russell also give it away or passed into no-man's land as often as ever. Hastings wasn't great either, but did redeem himself a bit...

Great to see the team celebrate at the end - it looked like it meant a lot to them, and hopefully they can take that fight into the rest of the season. I hope they're also aware, however, that performances as inconsistent as that in the SPL could see us relegated, and that a bit of fluency, concentration and patience needs to come into the play sharpish.