Morton V ICT Match Night Thread.

FortressICT

Aye I'd pretty much agree with your comments A.M. but I wouldn't worry too much about the fact Morton are a struggling 1st division side, it accounts for nothing, this tie had perfect giant killing possibilities for them.

A good job well done. :rotflmao:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm just back from the game too at 0245 having had to deal with a rear offside blow out just outside Port Glasgow.

Must say having watched 2 other p!sh poor performances this weekend at least the result was better if not the performance - thank gawd.

The words Brewster and tactics should never be included in the same sentence unless separated by "knows Fcuk all about". Saving Rooney until extra time was plain crazy!

On the plus side I must say a big thank you to the Morton fans we met outside the ground, in the Norseman before and in the chippie after the game. The police and stewards were a joy to deal with and an example of how to police a game.

The young kids from Aviemore and the few students they were leading astray never stopped singing and chanting. They even came up with a few new ones (well, new to me). Keep it up.

Lastly, unfortunately, the fish supper was possibly the worst I've ever not had.

Looking forward to the next round when hopefully we'll get more fans and will be able to fill a bus thereby saving some stalwarts from another 400 mile round trip drive!

Morton are newly promoted and looking at the league table they're going straight back down, second division opposition like I said.

Morton aren't newly promoted. They came up a season ago.

After listening to a desturbing fact that came through from a fan on radio, I too am more sceptical than ever about mr Brewster.

In 2008, before tonights match...

we had won just 7 games in 31 - 3 of which came agianst gretna

we had scored just 31 goals - 11 of which came against gretna.

Kencar brought these up the other day but no one really paid much attention to them which was surprising. Especially the Pro Brewster camp.

http://community.caleythistleonline.com/in...?showtopic=8425

Brewster on the first goal "I don't know where Richard Hastings came from for the equaliser".

Does this mean poor Dick is going to be told off for being out position at the time...?!

We changed the team about to give guys a chance. We won. The subs it appears helped turn the game around.

Going to Morton isnt the most fun place to play, neither is Arbroath. Both hellish places to play in fact.

The cups about upsets. Especially when lower league teams survive on going far. It was a banana skin overcome.

Could have been better. But we're though. Im not going to slag of Brew for this.

A while ago he never knew what a sub was for. Now he uses them and brings on the right players. Just not always taking the right ones off :rotflmao:

Some of the young lads coming in like Vigurs Duff and Wood have impressed. Rooney has shown potential too.

We've won 2 (in which we scored 4 conceded 1) lost 3 (conceded 4 scored 1) and drawn 1 (Scored 1 and conceded 1)

5 for 5 against in 5 league games. 4 goals in the cup 2 against.

Not brilliant but it's certainly not awful. Panic buttons need not be pressed.

We badly need attacking pace in my opinion.

I am NOT pro Brewster but I find the logic of anti Brewster statements or to be more precise the PELE return brigade in place of Brewster, to be difficult to fathom.

Take the following two statements from the same person

Caley D

''Whenever I start to lose faith in McAllister I just go along and watch the reserves and watch as he performs brilliantly and I go back to having that little bit of hope/faith that he will come good in the first team squad.''

''.........or what Paterson did when he went to Aberdeen and I'd take either of those guys back in a flash. ''

It would appear from the above statement that - Rory is not cut out for SPL football - at this time - a point I would agree with.

However I would also make the point that, having watched his management in action in Aberdeen, Paterson is also unable to hack it in the SPL as his record shows. I have never heard/seen any Aberdeen supporter calling for his return.

I feel that the passing of time must dull the senses and memories of ICT's rush into the SPL with all the good feeling that went with it, provide a belief in Paterson's managerial ability that does not stand up to scrutiny.

If he was in any way as good a manager as is inferred on here he would be still in the SPL, managing some top club.... and, as for playing attractive football and not worrying about the results - go and tell that to the Falkirk fans!

Why did Rankin leave? And don't tell me that wasn't personal.

Christie dropped Rankin at the start of the season. Rankin then bought a house in the central belt, only for Brewster to come in and put him back in the squad. Brewster than tried to persuade Rankin to stay, however Rankin already had his house and wanted to leave.

If Rankin had left for St. Mirren or Falkirk I'd have seen your point, however he left for Hibs, one of the biggest clubs in Scotland. He probably doubled his wages and got to keep his house. Not to forget the 100k transfer fee we received.

It's obvious Pele was always the kind to walk away - as he said often in interviews, there's more important things in life than fitba. If he did have his head in the right attitude (that's a big 'if') for managing full time I'd have him back in a flash.

He was successful at Elgin, Huntly and us. Leaving us was the mistake of his life and he probably knew that at the time.

I'm sure he could have adapted to the SPL with us, without south based fans like me having to listen to people at work saying what a boring team we are now.

As for Brew, I'm sure he's learning the trade alright, but I fear by the time he's learned it we'll be playing at places like Cappielow every week. For the record: I was at the game. Mary Hill has it spot on.

Edited by The Mantis

I'm not a regular poster to this site (but am a regular viewer), and it seems to me that Brewster will never be able to do anything right in the eyes of some on here. I've recently read various opinions from a number of fans on this site which include:-

We've lost the game and it's Brewster's fault (albeit that there have been some basic defensive errors)

We've won the game, but not played well, and it's Brewster's fault (not the players though?)

He should give the youngsters a chance

He should stick with experience

The defence are making too many errors and he should now go with Munro & Duff

He goes with Munro and Duff and we concede a poor goal against Morton

McAllister's playing well in the reserves and should be given a chance in the first team

McAllister's not cut out for the SPL and should be farmed out / offloaded

We use too many young players without experience

We should give youth a chance and get them some experience

He should give younger players a chance against lower league opposition in the cup

He should put out the strongest side to beat lower league opposition in the cup

As Greavsie said "it's a funny old game", and the above conflicting opinions come from all of us "armchair experts" who think we know where it's going wrong - but we can't all be right. Brewster will be judged, in time, on how he's performed - and that should be on results first, and style of play/performances second!

I understand why fans are irate about the performance against Morton last night. On paper we should be much better than them, should beat them in normal time (even with some youth playing). However, Hibs on paper are a better side than us and they found it very tough against Morton - this was always a potential banana skin of a fixture. The bottom line is we're in the QF's and showed character & resilience last night to get there. If we're going to blame Brewster for the performance, surely he should then get credit for ensuring that the fight and attitude where there to force home the victory (even if it wasn't pretty)?

Let's get things in perspective:-

Whilst disappointed with the manner of the victory last night, we're through to the QF's.

Although home performance in the SPL haven't been great, we're sitting mid-table which, on balance, is probably where we generally belong (albeit with the odd flutter a bit higher).

Whilst we'll possibly/probably lose talent to bigger clubs, the youth set-up seems strong and we've some good young players coming through.

Football supporters can be emotional and fickle beings, but calling for Brewster to be sacked after a (poor performing) victory, seems to be taking things a bit far

I'm not a regular poster to this site (but am a regular viewer), and it seems to me that Brewster will never be able to do anything right in the eyes of some on here. I've recently read various opinions from a number of fans on this site which include:-

We've lost the game and it's Brewster's fault (albeit that there have been some basic defensive errors)

We've won the game, but not played well, and it's Brewster's fault (not the players though?)

He should give the youngsters a chance

He should stick with experience

The defence are making too many errors and he should now go with Munro & Duff

He goes with Munro and Duff and we concede a poor goal against Morton

McAllister's playing well in the reserves and should be given a chance in the first team

McAllister's not cut out for the SPL and should be farmed out / offloaded

We use too many young players without experience

We should give youth a chance and get them some experience

He should give younger players a chance against lower league opposition in the cup

He should put out the strongest side to beat lower league opposition in the cup

As Greavsie said "it's a funny old game", and the above conflicting opinions come from all of us "armchair experts" who think we know where it's going wrong - but we can't all be right. Brewster will be judged, in time, on how he's performed - and that should be on results first, and style of play/performances second!

I understand why fans are irate about the performance against Morton last night. On paper we should be much better than them, should beat them in normal time (even with some youth playing). However, Hibs on paper are a better side than us and they found it very tough against Morton - this was always a potential banana skin of a fixture. The bottom line is we're in the QF's and showed character & resilience last night to get there. If we're going to blame Brewster for the performance, surely he should then get credit for ensuring that the fight and attitude where there to force home the victory (even if it wasn't pretty)?

Let's get things in perspective:-

Whilst disappointed with the manner of the victory last night, we're through to the QF's.

Although home performance in the SPL haven't been great, we're sitting mid-table which, on balance, is probably where we generally belong (albeit with the odd flutter a bit higher).

Whilst we'll possibly/probably lose talent to bigger clubs, the youth set-up seems strong and we've some good young players coming through.

Football supporters can be emotional and fickle beings, but calling for Brewster to be sacked after a (poor performing) victory, seems to be taking things a bit far

:rotflmao: :thumb04: :018: ;) :lol: :015:

Bush....are you insinuating poor performances are a rarity under brewster? I would say they are by far and away the norm....thats why ad be happy to see the back of him....sooner rather than later, to save us from the SFL

I am NOT pro Brewster but I find the logic of anti Brewster statements or to be more precise the PELE return brigade in place of Brewster, to be difficult to fathom.

Take the following two statements from the same person

Caley D

''Whenever I start to lose faith in McAllister I just go along and watch the reserves and watch as he performs brilliantly and I go back to having that little bit of hope/faith that he will come good in the first team squad.''

''.........or what Paterson did when he went to Aberdeen and I'd take either of those guys back in a flash. ''

It would appear from the above statement that - Rory is not cut out for SPL football - at this time - a point I would agree with.

However I would also make the point that, having watched his management in action in Aberdeen, Paterson is also unable to hack it in the SPL as his record shows. I have never heard/seen any Aberdeen supporter calling for his return.

I feel that the passing of time must dull the senses and memories of ICT's rush into the SPL with all the good feeling that went with it, provide a belief in Paterson's managerial ability that does not stand up to scrutiny.

If he was in any way as good a manager as is inferred on here he would be still in the SPL, managing some top club.... and, as for playing attractive football and not worrying about the results - go and tell that to the Falkirk fans!

Good old selective quoting, gotta love it :rotflmao:

My statement re Paterson (and I notice you deleted Robbo who was also part of that) was in reference to accusations that my opinions on Brewster were somehow personal and related to the fact he walked out on us the first time round. The point I was making was that Robbo and Paterson also did these things, yet I have no personal grudge against them, so why would I have a personal grudge against Brewster for it?

As to Pele, anyone who followed his progress after he left ICT knows that his demise at Aberdeen was not entirely of his own making...and I also believe that the environment at Pitodrie was not the kind which Paterson thrives in. While some of us could perhaps be accused of "dulled memories", others could be equally accused of short ones if they are so quick to forget what he achieved with ICT during his time in charge and think that his managerial ability does not stand up to scrutiny. There's very few managers anywhere who have achieved what Paterson achieved in such a short period of time and on the limited resources available....and he did it all whilst providing great entertainment.

There's very few managers anywhere who have achieved what Paterson achieved in such a short period of time and on the limited resources available....and he did it all whilst providing great entertainment.

This last part for me is key. This is exactly what i would expect to feel having forked out ?20......... not cheated! And to back this up, there is a thread which has reared its head again, started by myself, in which i asked what is the best game of football you have seen. I chose a defeat to Livi, but at least i left the park feeling I had been entertained!

Back to the match is it??

I actually thought it was a half decent cup game. Good atmosphere, chance of an upset......I agree both teams were poor, but it was fairly entertaining.

Like someone else above, I couldn't really see their first goal.....it seemed to me that everyone misjudged the long throw and it trickled into the net. The long throw seemed to be their only tactic as it goes.

Rory was hooked at HT, which surely tells you everything, and Wilson brought on. Not entirely sure if Imrie was supposed to go upfront alongside Wood, but he soon drifted back to the wing, so in effect we were oddly playing 4-5-1.

Vigurs and Rooney were then used and both made a big impact. Vigurs was superb, really forceful going forward, and always picking the right pass. Rooney put himself about, and won a lot in the air.

We had a few nail biting moments before equalising (Tokely heading against his own post, and the rebound coming off him and rolling inches past the post). The equaliser came from a good cross (for once), and I initially thought it was Imrie who got it. Later confirmed as Hastings though.

Into extra time I couldn't see us not getting a winner, and sure enough, after Rooney had laid off a great header to him, Imrie rifled in a cracking volley.

Esson, Blackie, Vigurs, were all excellent, but Imrie was superb.

The rest? Average at best.

Blackie was again hooked at the end of the 90, which was again baffling, evenmore so because Duncan was playing his first game in a while and having his customary 'winning lots in the middle, then passing straight back to the opposition' (and he gave a mouthful to the away fans after being loudly advised it might be better trying to pass to one of his team mates rather than the opposition).

Oh well, I enjoyed it, even though we struggled against a team at the foot of the 1st.

The win certainly made the journey back up a lot sweeter......a home tie next round though please :rotflmao:

All i meant was he has never let himself down whilst representing ICT

True....it's not as if he walked out on us only days after giving a big speech about how grateful he was to ICT for giving him his chance in management and how he was committed to the club.....oh no wait, that's exactly what he did. :rotflmao:

I have said this before. If one of us was manager of, for the sake of argument, Falkirk, and ICT, the team we have supported since we were a child, came along with the offer of a bigger budget and more money, I don't think very many of us would say no.

But I am very concerned at the way things are going right now. However, I said I will give Brewster till Christmas, and I won't go back on that.