Crossing "The Great Divide"

SMEE

im in agreement, that a lone Caley Bid would have provided the same result. Im not convinced a lone Thistle bid would have succeeded, but hey its 15 years ago now, so none of the above really matters does it.

BNP - I notice your signature at the bottom of your posts is rather Anti-Mergerish....

can i assume your not a supporter of ICT

:thumb04: :rotflmao:

In all seriousness BNP, it would be fascinating to read your full account of the events surrounding the merger. Might not be as impartial as Against All Odds, but it would be darn sight more entertaining!

You'd be well advised to get a lawyer to scrutinse it before publication. Is that chap Beaumont still around?

Guest CALEY108

In all seriousness BNP, it would be fascinating to read your full account of the events surrounding the merger. Might not be as impartial as Against All Odds, but it would be darn sight more entertaining!

You'd be well advised to get a lawyer to scrutinse it before publication. Is that chap Beaumont still around?

Impartial as Against All Odds :thumb04:

No-one ever ask themselves why there was no Rebel involvement in quotes/interviews in the publication :018:

Maybe BNP and Davie the painter should get back together to give us LSM 18(the merger novel) :rotflmao:

Impartial as Against All Odds :018:

No-one ever ask themselves why there was no Rebel involvement in quotes/interviews in the publication ;)

Maybe BNP and Davie the painter should get back together to give us LSM 18(the merger novel) :thumb04:

Maybe it could be called On a LSM - the chad edition :rotflmao:

Impartial as Against All Odds :thumb04:

No-one ever ask themselves why there was no Rebel involvement in quotes/interviews in the publication :018:

quote]

Ah, you mean things like:

"Knowing the people I've been acting for I think they always wanted it to happen deep down, and tonight seems to have removed a lot of the anxiety that existed and I think things will go through a lot more straightforwardly."

(Deryck Beaumont 26.1.94. as quoted on P47 of "Against All Odds") I kid you not! :rotflmao: If the irony hasn't hit you... read it again!

This is a transcript of a radio interview in the Caley Social Club on 26.1.94. following a meeting where the Rebels agreed to abandon their moves to oust senior Caley officials and to accept a 3:2 committee:members split in the 5 Caley seats on the CT board in exchange for the lifting of the suspensions which the Caley Committee agreed to do on the spot that night after a brief adjournment to make a decision.

Three weeks later the Caley Rebels made an unsuccessful bid to grab all five seats for themselves. That was the night of the Second Battle of Rose Street (16.2.94.), after which Deryck Beaumont did his famous Messianic "Cleansing the Temple" routine when he declared the Caley Committee deposed and himself as the new Chairman. Unsurprisingly he was the subject of an Interdict the very next morning.

One question I never managed to get an answer to - when the final Caley AGM took place at the old Inverness Royal Academy in June 1994 at which there was a Rebel majority, wht did they not vote Jimmy Falconer out as Secretary, get their own person in there and gain access to all the paperwork?

Charles - remind me - who were the rebels who were briefly on the first ICT board :rotflmao:

The run up to the meeting of 16th February 1994 was as I described above. However on 16th February the Rebels did a U turn and went for all five Caley places on the CT Board. They were largely unsuccessful. What they did achieve was to get David MacDonald (Dots) on to the Board in the members category and to thereby exclude their main hate target Jimmy Falconer in the committee category, securing the election of their own "insider" Jock Price instead.

Given that Jock Price is long dead, defamation isn't an issue here (and it isn't in any case since this is totally true). Jock was basically the Rebels' "man on the inside" and was a completely unlikely member of the Board but was elected because the Rebels concentrated their second votes on him. He eventually stood down after being caught with his hand in the till (mods please notice - not only is this true, Jock Price is dead) a short time after he took his seat.

On the night, Jimmy Falconer was the apparent loser but it's intersting to see that, as football secretary, which he became a few months later after Scott Byrnes left the area, he is now by far the longest serving individual on Caley Thistle's "inner circle".

Ah, you mean things like:

"Knowing the people I've been acting for I think they always wanted it to happen deep down, and tonight seems to have removed a lot of the anxiety that existed and I think things will go through a lot more straightforwardly."

(Deryck Beaumont 26.1.94. as quoted on P47 of "Against All Odds") I kid you not! :rotflmao: If the irony hasn't hit you... read it again!

Charles, you snidey wee liar, you've taken that totally out of context. What a pathetic little man. 14 years later, you're still spinning & twisting the truth. Beaumont often spoke for himself by that point, probably defending himself from the public ridicule he recieved from the local press. Beaumont was referring to us wanting CALEDONIAN FC entering the SFL in our own right, without the baggage of a merger or a two-bob club hanging off our coat-tails.

You can roll on the floor & laugh your arse off all day, but you're a snide. F@ckin pathetic. You won by cheating, just accept it and stop trying to badmouth the people who you stole from.

One question I never managed to get an answer to - when the final Caley AGM took place at the old Inverness Royal Academy in June 1994 at which there was a Rebel majority, wht did they not vote Jimmy Falconer out as Secretary, get their own person in there and gain access to all the paperwork?

Because it was plainly obvious to everyman & his dog that the merger was going through no matter what. Clown.

On the night, Jimmy Falconer was the apparent loser but it's interesting to see that, as football secretary, which he became a few months later after Scott Byrnes left the area, he is now by far the longest serving individual on Caley Thistle's "inner circle".

That explains a few things then.... :rotflmao:

I've not taken the step of deleting your last post BNP but I will not hesitate to do so if Charles Bannerman, who is the principal target of your unacceptably inflamatory statements, complains.

It's clear that the events of 15 years ago still cause you some difficulties but unless you tone down your comments appropriate action will be taken

I've not taken the step of deleting your last post BNP but I will not hesitate to do so if Charles Bannerman, who is the principal target of your unacceptably inflamatory statements, complains.

It's clear that the events of 15 years ago still cause you some difficulties but unless you tone down your comments appropriate action will be taken

Quite happy for BNP's post to be kept there, especially since I think it contributes far more to the fundamental credibility of the general point than any number of words from me could.

The quote in question from Deryck Beaumont, who was the Caley Rebels' official solicitor and very frequent spokesman (including on that night) was made at the end of a meeting in the then Caley Social Club on 26th January 1994. The quote I have provided is on P47 of Against All Odds and was taken directly from a BBC interview which Beaumont gave after the meeting and which I still have on tape.

The meeting in question came a few days after Caley Thistle had been elected to the SFL. Any thought of Caley going it alone had long since gone (since the previous October 1st in fact). After the December 1993 discussions between Norman Cordiner and the Caley Rebels and Committee, the Rebels declared a truce since they realised that the only way Inverness was going to get into the SFL in any form was now through a merged bid and in an atmosphere which suggested peace and stability in the Highlands. As we know, CT did get in and the January 26th meeting was to see if any longer lasting peace could be brokered.

At this point (although I didn't say so in the book) I actually played something of a part myself since it was I who at that meeting suggested that if the Committee could see their way to lifting the suspensions on the Rothes pitch invaders (which was a VERY sore point) then the Rebels could see their way to agreeing to the proposed format of 3 Committee reps and 2 Members' reps on the new CT Board and to suspending their efforts to remove the main office bearers. The Committee retired and returned to say they agreed, and the Rebels also did so without dissent. It therefore looked as if the environment could be there for CT to proceed in some kind of order and the meeting broke up, whereupon Deryck Beaumont gave the interview in question, including this quote:

However, although the suspensions were never reimposed, the Rebel side of the agreement only survived for three weeks (well actually less than that because they were talking about breaking it within a week) until the Second Battle of Rose Street on February 16th. Those who were there will also remember that Rose Street 2 was formally brought to a close by Norman Miller but some of the Rebels stayed on, declared the Caley Committee deposed from office and Deryck Beaumont was declared Chairman.

(At this point, for "Cleansing of the Temple"... read "Arrival at the Finland Station"!)

I have to say that made excellent listening across the nation the next morning since I had a running tape throughout! The other event of the following morning was of course the interdict which prevented Beaumont from acting in any capacity at all in relation to Caley.

I would, however, suggest that one of the reasons for BNP's recollections of that period being a little mistaken is that by this stage he didn't appear quite to be in the loop of Rebel affairs to the extent that he had previously been since, even by the standards of the more hard line among them, he was regarded as something of a liability or, to quote the phrase I used in Against All Odds, a "loose cannon." BOOM!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Mmmm. gettin a wee bit over the top here, the bitter pill is taking a long time to melt eh..

I dont think i've ever contemplated swallowing it. Nor shall i.

My utter contempt for those involved is not something i hide.

I've got no personal axe to grind with ICT supporters in general, but certain individuals are lower than a snakes belly in my view. :rotflmao:

but certain individuals are lower than a snakes belly in my view.

Oh well, the penchant for hypeprbole doesn't seem to have receded these last 15 years! :rotflmao:

PS - congratulations on reaching your 100 posts!

Thank you. The hairline hasn't receded either. :thumb04:

• 2 weeks later...

Some of those involved in the Caley side of the merger may be interested to know that it's now a matter of public record that one Deryk De Maine Beaumont recently appeared before the Scottsh Solicitors Diciplinary Tribunal. The outcome, from his point of view at least, was far from favourable !

Some of those involved in the Caley side of the merger may be interested to know that it's now a matter of public record that one Deryk De Maine Beaumont recently appeared before the Scottsh Solicitors Diciplinary Tribunal. The outcome, from his point of view at least, was far from favourable !

During the hearing, did his supporters set off the fire alarm, throw the Chairman's papers about the place, let off fireworks and declare the Tribunal expelled from office and appoint D deM B as the new Chairman? :rotflmao: