Glenlossie Distillery

Yngwie

Below is a transcript from the Northern Scot and Moray & Nairn Express, Tuesday March 12th 1929.

The original cutting was found in a relative's attic recently. I thought it was quite interesting not just because the "hero" in question is my great-grandfather, but because of the way they dealt with a fire in the absence of phones and a proper fire brigade. And also because of the bland, factual journalistic style of the time.

DISTILLERY BLAZE HERO

Workman Fights Great Fire Alone

Shots to Break Malt Tower Window

The Glenlossie Distillery near here was partly destroyed by fire early today.

Only the night staff of three men was at work when the electric light suddenly failed.

James Kerr, a stillman, groping his way out to investigate, discovered that the dynamo room was ablaze. He at once got a hand hose to bear on the flames, but it was evident that the outbreak had obtained a firm hold and while Kerr continued to fight the fire single-handed his two companions David Mutch, another stillman and James Miller the night maltman ran to the neighbouring hamlet of Thomshill and roused the distillery staff.

Messengers were also sent to adjacent farms for help and within half an hour the distillery?s steam fire engine was at work.

The flames, shooting to a height of a hundred feet spread with great rapidity and the roofs of two departments collapsed. Despite the efforts of Kerr and other workmen who mounted to the roof with hoses, the flames spread to the malt tower which communicates with the drying lofts and barns, a long range of buildings containing 15,000 to 20,000 quarters of barley.

As urgent SOS was sent to Rothes and a motor engine was quickly manned by distillery men and rushed eight miles to the scene.

The malt tower, containing about 1,000 bushels of malt, became a furnace and when it was found impossible to get water inside the building Mr. James Marshall, the manager, secured a shotgun and after firing several shots succeeded in shattering the roof window through which the firemen were able to reach the blazing malt.

With the arrival of the Rothes engine the spread of the flames was definitely checked.

?The hero of the outbreak is undoubtedly James Kerr?, said Mr James Miller the night maltman. ?His early efforts in the blazing dynamo room gave us a chance to summon help in time and he stuck to his job with the main hose from start to finish.?

The distillery, which is owned by the Distillers Company Ltd. is one of the largest malt distilleries in the world.

So you're a Malmsteen on your mother's side?

:rotflmao:

Good story though - all the elements of a good pub yarn over a few glasses of Glenlossie....

I was once staying in a hotel in Dunvegan on Skye when a fire broke out - the local firemen came before the Portree lot arrived and they all appeared to have been on the Glenlossie.... I think they were showing more concern than usual as the fire was in the bar (which I am sure a few of them had only left a few hours previously)

I thought that this was a wind up until I read the "groping" bit. |This is definately a family trait so I tend to believe the tale now.

In fact this is a fine example of the evolution of man : as one characteristic.....the bravery.......is diluted over the years, another............the groping ..........through necessity, becomes accentuated.