2. 2. Who do you want to win?

• Barack Obama
    • John McCain
    • Ralph Nader
    • Bob Barr
    • Cynthia McKinney
    • Someone Else
    • Undecided

Who do you want and think will win the upcoming USA election? I hope that eejit McCain doesn't get in and his thick-as-a-brick running mate Palin. My other big worry though is that if Obama gets in, he wont't last long long because of obvious reasons. Obama or Nader for me, though I thing Obama will get in.

Edited by Renegade

Obama for me all the way ........ McCain doesnt inspire confidence despite the "sacrifices" he may have made for his country in the past and as for his running mate, who would be only a heartbeat away from the presidency if he won, some of her views (and past deeds in office in Alaska) are just plain scary !!!!!

I would think that a lot of Democrats are now sorry they didn't vote for Hilary Clinton. I agree with what has been said about McCain and his scary running mate, but I feel that when push comes to shove, voting for a black president will just be too big a step for many of the small town mentality, 'middle Americans'. So, I fear that McCain does have a chance, which is scary enough in his own right. But to think that with his age and medical past, if he were to 'keel over', the worldly wise, well travelled, 'hockey Mom' is waiting in the wings just doesn't bear thinking about. If it were not for America's poition of 'leader of the Western world', I would think it was quite funny.

I would think that a lot of Democrats are now sorry they didn't vote for Hilary Clinton. I agree with what has been said about McCain and his scary running mate, but I feel that when push comes to shove, voting for a black president will just be too big a step for many of the small town mentality, 'middle Americans'. So, I fear that McCain does have a chance, which is scary enough in his own right. But to think that with his age and medical past, if he were to 'keel over', the worldly wise, well travelled, 'hockey Mom' is waiting in the wings just doesn't bear thinking about. If it were not for America's poition of 'leader of the Western world', I would think it was quite funny.

Because of where I live, I get my fill of this campaign every day on TV and Radio. In fact, more Canadian TV viewers watched the US debates than watched the Canadian ones .... and judging by the turnout, some Canadians who are more interested in the US election probably didnt realise there was a general election in this country 3 days ago !!!

I have watched all the debates and tend to listen to "talk radio" on my way home from work. Watching and listening to all this, the point has been made and several pundits agree that the financial crisis is probably the best thing that could have happened to Obama. According to many, the colour of his skin is simply (and quite rightly) not an issue for most voters in this election as they are more worried about the economy and the dollar in their pocket than Obama's ethnicity, background or heritage. Many seem to be getting swayed by the fact that a vote for McCain might well be a vote for 4 more years of Bush-like policy despite his claims to the contrary. Obama is a pretty strong debater on domestic policy and this, and the general loathing for Bush is playing right into his hands. If on the other hand, things were "normal" and there had been a (new) foreign crisis, terrorist attack or national security problem then I think McCain would have fared a lot better.

Inevitably there will be those who do make it about race, and I agree, that some of these pinheads will see voting for a black President as a step too far .... just like voting for a woman president might have been for others if Hillary had been chosen. Hopefully, these folks are in the vast minority !!!

Many over here initially thought asking Palin to be his running mate was a masterstroke from McCain. I thought it was a disaster waiting to happen from the very beginning. His strong point at that time was countering Obama's "change" slogan by playing up Obama's inexperience, yet he - a man with known medical issues - chooses someone even more inexperienced to take over in the event of his death or incapacity.

It has been obvious that every single speech Palin has given was pre-written for the vice presidential candidate regardless of who that was going to be and she has simply added a couple of somewhat cheesy adlibs to each one. She has made several gaffes such as not understanding what the "Bush Doctrine" was, or making out that she had foreign policy experience because Alaska was geographically closer to those pesky Russians than any other american governor's state, or being asked questions in non-scripted interviews where she simply could not answer the questions. Her record in Alaska as governor and her small town mayorship record have also followed her. One thing that caused (and still causes) quite a few ripples over here was her non-support for a bill that would outlaw the practice of making women pay for their own rape kits after being sexually assaulted. According to a few credible websites, her police chief in Wasilla disagreed and was fired and replaced with someone who agreed with her .....

I agree that some of this - hockey mom goes from outhouse to whitehouse in less than 12 years - would be funny if it werent for the fact that America has a position as the defacto leaders of the western world but while McCain reminds me of a genial (but senile) old uncle, or one of the actors who played gorbachev/reagan in Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Two Tribes" video, she just scares me ..... Despite his own inexperience, I think Obama would surround himself with people who do have it (quite possibly including both Clintons - who want to stay in the limelight), and would be willing to see shades of grey instead of just the Bush line of "if you are not with us, you are against us" when dealing with countries like Iran, North Korea, Cuba etc.

My one fear for Obama is assasination, and has been since I first heard him make a speech several years ago. He is obviously an inspiration to many people of different backgrounds, but some of the racist pinheads mentioned above may get more than a little annoyed that the dream so eloquently spoken of by Martin Luther King 40+ years ago may be elevated to a new level with Barack speaking just as eloquently in the WhiteHouse. On top of this, his agenda for change may annoy others on the inside of things in Washington. Depending on what he does and the stances he takes to things like defence, covert ops, relations with countries like Cuba, N Korea, Iran etc it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he might find himself emulating another President who was seen as young, vibrant, eloquent and dynamic - JFK !!!

Lets just hope he gets in, does well and we all feel good enough to hold up signs in 2012 that say Vote Obama !!!

I think Obama will win but when American voters go into the polling booth will it be then that they decide whether they want an African American president ? Could well be closer than we think. My own concern with him is his lack of experience. As for McCain - is he really the best the Republicans can come up with ?

Who do you want and think will win the upcoming USA election? I hope that eejit McCain doesn't get in and his thick-as-a-brick running mate Palin. My other big worry though is that if Obama gets in, he wont't last long long because of obvious reasons. Obama or Nader for me, though I thing Obama will get in.

The world's only 6000 years old you know... :rotflmao:

Guest Spectre

Interesting that Obama has decided to go and visit his ill, and white, granny this week. Just to remind voters?

Also that Dick Cheney (current VP) is a distant cousin of his...as someone in Obama's campaign said "every family has its black sheep!"