Has Inverness changed much..

ar78

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for error in my last post.I was trying to say that the bakery in Telford Road was the Highland Bakeries.

Wasn't it called the Telford Bakery too ? It was owned by Francis Gordon Harper and supplied the locally based armed forces with bread during World War 2. His son, Frank, won the Military Cross for bravery in the Mau Mau campaign in Kenya in the 1950s. Frank went on to become a councillor and magistrate.

• 3 weeks later...

BinghamLegend, do you post on the 'Has Livingston changed much...' on LiviLions or the 'Has Kilmarnock changed much...' threads on their respective boards?

When I go back I do think that the town centre is a bit run down. There are so many boarded up shops, the only places that can replace them are pishy pubs - it's sad. Inverness has outgrown it's town centre - it used to be a nice Highland town, now it's getting a bit identikit. I do still love some parts of town though - I like walking down Church Street, not sure why.

One thing to remember is that CaleyStan makes a good point - compared to some of the shitholes in Central Scotland, Inverness is a very nice place. Imagine you grew up in Kelty or Croy or Larbert? The only good thing about these places is that you can get a quick train to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

I've only recently moved back to Inverness (6 months or so ago) after being away for about 9 years and the changes I see are massive. Most of them have been covered elsewhere so won't bore anyone with my interpretation, but I really believe that until Inverness gains a credible University and begins to address the 'brain drain' from the area to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, etc. the decline will continue.

The 2 main things lacking in Inverness, for me anyway, are a decent social scene for 18-30 that doesn't involve being surrounded by blind drunk neds in the centre and also the distinct lack of graduate/middle level employment in the area. I think until a University is established (UHI has a very long way to go before it can be classed as such, IMO) and hopefully brings with it increased economic benefits and enhanced career opportunities as a result, it is going to be very hard for Inverness to avoid simply becoming a satellite town to the central belt.

Sorry for error in my last post.I was trying to say that the bakery in Telford Road was the Highland Bakeries.

Wasn't it called the Telford Bakery too ? It was owned by Francis Gordon Harper and supplied the locally based armed forces with bread during World War 2. His son, Frank, won the Military Cross for bravery in the Mau Mau campaign in Kenya in the 1950s. Frank went on to become a councillor and magistrate.

the bakery was still operating into the late 70's. the smell of the freshly baked bread stays with me til this day!!!!! Mmmmmm.. It was run by the dad of an old school friend of mine, TAKE A BOW, MR. RICHARD BARTNICZEK!!!!