Jack McConnell - top bloke?

Row S

Guest Bonzo

Yes JohnnyBoy, I would very much like to see Scotland ditch the Scottish Parliament and Jack McConnell. Both are a totally ineffective waste of money.

I would persevere with the EEC, although it undoubtedly requires improvement.

I can think of a few fitting names for you, "Mee", but, sure, call me what you like - it really is of no consequence. You're actually quite amusing with your comments about listening to those with different views.

But, the bottom line is that the Scottish attitude to the English is harmful - primarily to Scotland.

I agree it is nothing new - but times have changed over the past 50 years, and it's about time we moved with the times. These days are gone now, and in the past they must remain.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest airbornejake

I suppose the attack on a seven year old in edinburgh, and the attack on a disabled driver in aberdeen for wearing english football shirts is considered acceptable behavour in scotland. i cant imagine a kid being attacked in england for wearing a scotland shirt. in fact i have worn mine with pride for years and never had a bad word said. has the FM started somthing. 

Guest airbornejake

I think this hatred thing has gone to far, we go on about the OF spouting bile but sometimes i wonder. look at northern island they go on about things hundreds of years ogo, lets move on.

Airborne : You've got to remember these kind of incidents are pretty rare - the media make it sound like it's happening on every street corner..... Don't let it get you down... get yourself down the High St to Toni's Fish Bar.... at least you've go decent fish 'n chips down there...!!

:005: :005:

Guest Bonzo

...... which brings us back nicely to the top of the thread.

People in positions of influence and authority, such as our first minister, should be careful what they say. The whole debate that the man has sparked is, I believe, a major factor in the racial assaults in Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

Top bloke? ...................... definitely not.

What a load of p1sh, the only person to blame for an act of violence is the person who committed the act of violence.  You need to get a fecking grip if you think JM saying he's supporting T & T had made otherwise lovely and peace loving folk go and assault a kid and a disabled person for wearing England shirts.

Guest airbornejake

i understand this is not a footy post but it needs to be said. both my kids were borne in Edinburgh western general. some years later after joining the army i was sent to a destination. my wife and kids moved back to Edinburgh for an unknown period of time. the kids went to my old school but unfortunatly for them they sounded English and got beat up on a daily basis so we took them out and she and the kids moved back to england where we have stayed becouse it does not matter to them so my kids would rather be in england. just not so much hatred as there is in Scotland and Ireland. hope you guys undrstand its not a critisism its just fact.

Im sorry for your kids but how is that anything to do with Jack McConnell?

If you really want to explore the root of the Scottish - English thing then how about you start with England's greed for more land, their repeated invasions, the thousands of people killed and tortured, the attempted destruction of Scottish and particularly Highland culture, the native language being banned, and the eventual bribery that at last sold our country into slavery and throughout it all English arrogance and cruelty towards the people they were invading (and not just Scotland). Why do you think Scotland hardly ever invaded England? Because we didn't fecking want their sh1tty country!

If I may drag you back to the present day, how come Scotland's the poorest oil rich nation in the developed world? Our beautiful country, battered by wind and rain, which all the residents have to put up with, is perfect for the development of renewable energy, which goes into the national grid for the benefit of all. So how come the average wage in the highlands is about half what it is in southern England? How come folk from our neighbouring country are able to buy so many houses as holiday homes when the locals have to consider themselves lucky to be able to bring up their kids in caravans?

Theres no excuse for violence, ever. Its maybe a wee national characteristic that the Scots have long memories and its unfortunate that the young and / or the drunk are unable to articulate themselves and resort to using fists. I have never had that problem but I understand where the underlying rage comes from. I don't vote labour and didn't even particularly like Jack McConnell before he said what he said, but he said it, he was honest, call me strange but thats a rare quality in a politician and fair play to him for saying it.

I'll warn you all now. I will have the last say on this thread. (unless one of the admins closes it!!!)

So if pretend-English ITN jnr and tory-erselicker Bozo haven't already given up, I'm waiting.  :001:

Not at all, I'm in great form! And always willing to share my extensive knowledge and reasoned opinions with folk maybe not quite so lucky  :001:

Im sorry for your kids but how is that anything to do with Jack McConnell?

Good question.

If you really want to explore the root of the Scottish - English thing then how about you start with England's greed for more land, their repeated invasions, the thousands of people killed and tortured, the attempted destruction of Scottish and particularly Highland culture, the native language being banned, and the eventual bribery that at last sold our country into slavery and throughout it all English arrogance and cruelty towards the people they were invading (and not just Scotland). Why do you think Scotland hardly ever invaded England? Because we didn't fecking want their sh1tty country!

If I may drag you back to the present day, how come Scotland's the poorest oil rich nation in the developed world? Our beautiful country, battered by wind and rain, which all the residents have to put up with, is perfect for the development of renewable energy, which goes into the national grid for the benefit of all. So how come the average wage in the highlands is about half what it is in southern England? How come folk from our neighbouring country are able to buy so many houses as holiday homes when the locals have to consider themselves lucky to be able to bring up their kids in caravans?

What has that got to do with JM? :016:

I work in a school. Kids are nasty little buggers! Anybody who's different gets bullied. A lot of work has gone into educating kids about this and there are signs that it is paying off.

It's terrible that anybody's kids get bullied on account of their accent but to imply that we, the Scots, are worse than others is just wrong.

How about the BBC relocates to Edinburgh (OK, maybe not, but how about Carlisle or Newcastle). Then maybe some of us will start to believe in this 'Britishness' thing, instead of being excluded and feeling like foreigners in our own country.

Just for a start, instead of forever saying 'the North-East' in the weather forecast they could say 'the bit just over half-way up the east coast'  :015: :015: :015: :015: :015: :015:

What has that got to do with JM? :016:

Its relevant to the discussion now that other people have introduced aspects which are clearly nothing to do with JM, notably AirbourneJake.

Good question.

Despite being able to recognise a good question you seem unable to provide any good answers,  you totally ignored my post above, repeated below, despite being back to this thread already.

So you're saying that he should have lied to avoid hurting the feelings of a few arrogant English folk that think everyone should support them? That it should be one rule for him and another for everybody else? Or is that one rule for you and another for everyone else?

Not sure about this reasoned debate, but.................I think you are arguing with yourself now...........I could be wrong though..................I am only a man. :017:

When did you grow up?  :015: :015: :015:

I tried to edit my post but the html was too mad for me at this time in the morning, I'll look at it later!

another edit - fixed now, amazing what caffeine can achieve  :003:

So you're saying that he should have lied to avoid hurting the feelings of a few arrogant English folk that think everyone should support them? That it should be one rule for him and another for everybody else? Or is that one rule for you and another for everyone else?

1) no

2) no

3) no

your questions have been answered.