Highland League Goalkeepers

Tichy_Blacks_Back

As there has been just a little talk about goalkeepers recently it got me thinking that there were some very good old Caley and Jags keepers over the years (many who never had the opportunity to play outside the Highland League) and some who maybe were not so good....

The obvious Jaggy keeper to come to mind is Jim Calder who started out as an outfield player and went on to become a stalwart for both the Jags and then ICT.

Does anybody have any special favourities of the past or any stories or incidents about those goalkeepers who had to endure the abuse of away (and home) fans at HL grounds all over the north?

Billy Macdonald was the cats pyjamas as far as i was concerned. If i recall right, he once scored against the tinks with a goal kick :rotflmao:

He was between the sticks for quite a few seasons - I remember Gordon MacDonald playing for Jags also for quite a few seasons - if I remember right Gordon was Kevin MacDonald's brother (of Caley, Leicester, Liverpool etc)....

I think Billy Macdonald was the Caley keeper late 70s right thro the 80s. Nice bloke too!

An outstanding goalie. Pulled off one of the best saves i ever saw against Elgin in a Q-Cup Final at Nairn.

Long before most of you were born, Willie Bruce was the best goalie I ever saw play for Caley, by a country mile! He was followed by Jim Smith, who came close to Bruce's level. A bit later, Kenny McKenzie was useful too.

Jim Smith was a great keeper and the first Caley goalie I remember from the mid 60s. Scarlet Pimple has been in touch with him in Canada.

Sandy Shand was one of the more erratic 'keepers to play for the Jags. He was capable of being very good but equally likely to chuck the ball into his own net.

The best goalie I recall seeing in the Highland League, the great Jim Calder apart, was Dave Lawtie who was custodian for Elgin City in the late 60's and early 70's.

Raymond Mackintosh was the one i remember from my childhood, thought he was the best keeper i saw in the Caley goals.

His namesake was a lethal striker with Billy THE LEGEND Urquhart in my day. Good auld days :rotflmao:

What I would give to have a front two like that at ICT now!

Quite a few outfield players over the years had to play in goal especially prior to there not being a reserve keeper on the bench (or even substitutes) prior to the mid-60s....I should imagine there was always a panic when a goalkeeper was suddently not available at the last minute on a Saturday afternoon....

Something else you don't see a lot of is goalkeeper's in management but there are two in the North - Les Fridge at Nairn County.... and Bobby Gray at Culter with 7 titles in 10 seasons as well as a number of cup wins....come to think of it a goalkeeping coach and successful manager all in one....that could be useful at TCS :rotflmao:

CB--yes I know from his sister in Inverness that Jim Smith is well established in Eastern Canada. Apparently he has been very successful and is now retired.

He also spoke highly of the ICT club Management who treated him very well on the occasion of his last visit to Tulloch to ICT. A visit he thoroughly enjoyed . :rotflmao:

Raymond Mackintosh was the one i remember from my childhood, thought he was the best keeper i saw in the Caley goals.

His namesake was a lethal striker with Billy THE LEGEND Urquhart in my day. Good auld days :thumb04:

What I would give to have a front two like that at ICT now!

What i was meant to say was Billy MacDonald :rotflmao: :018: , of course RM was a striker, just coming to the end of his career when i was a brat..

Guest CaleyJAGGIE

I guess you must be related to Les then.... :rotflmao:

nah but thats my one of my clearest memories from goin caley games wen i was a wee lad, :thumb04:

• 5 months later...