Highland League Goalkeepers

Tichy_Blacks_Back

Caley usually had good keepers in my time supporting them - Andy Beattie, Ken McKenzie, Chris Galloway, Billy McDonald, Hamish Morrison all come to mind. Rod Mackie was truly awful

The first Caley keeper I remember was Jim "Jammy James" Smith - a real cracker. Andy Beattie was amazing for such a small bloke, as was Kenny MacKenzie. I don't know if Rod "Romeo" MacKie is still alive but I do remember that he was seriously assaulted in Fairfiled Rd some years back and his confidence was shattered after that. A really nice guy and a better goalie than most gave him credit for.

• 1 month later...

Caley usually had good keepers in my time supporting them - Andy Beattie, Ken McKenzie, Chris Galloway, Billy McDonald, Hamish Morrison all come to mind. Rod Mackie was truly awful

The first Caley keeper I remember was Jim "Jammy James" Smith - a real cracker. Andy Beattie was amazing for such a small bloke, as was Kenny MacKenzie. I don't know if Rod "Romeo" MacKie is still alive but I do remember that he was seriously assaulted in Fairfiled Rd some years back and his confidence was shattered after that. A really nice guy and a better goalie than most gave him credit for.

Wasn't there a goalie for Thistle called Murdo Urqahart

Murdo Urquhart. Best remembered, by me at least, for virtually assaulting Danny McGrain at Parkhead after a rather meaty challenge by the famous Celtic left back right in front of the away dugout on the Thistle legend that was Alastair " Titchie" Black.

Indeed there was - went on to become the trainer and still goes to ICT games along with many other ex-jags and caley players

Murd Urquhart

Is the gent in the suit on the far right by any chance Butch Sinclair?

Back Row: T. McDonagh, 'Dils' Hendry, J. Nairn, M. Urquhart, W. Robertson, T. Sanderson, J. MacDonald, A. Young, G. Melville

Middle Row: G. Pyke, A. Ballantyne, B. Strachan, G. Rae, I. MacKenzie, J. Cameron, D. Henderson, D. Godsman, W. Clyne

Front Row: J. Shaw, F. MacLennan, A. Sinclair, R. Lytham, I.Paxton, A. Mitchell, J. Anderson

Murdo Urquhart. Best remembered, by me at least, for virtually assaulting Danny McGrain at Parkhead after a rather meaty challenge by the famous Celtic left back right in front of the away dugout on the Thistle legend that was Alastair " Titchie" Black.

To add a bit of meat to the event, Murd was the trainer at the time and ran at great speed on to the park to treat Titchie, with his bag of 'magic' and then seeing McGrain, who by now was returning to the scene of his crime to offer apologies, he ran past poor Titch and upended McGrain. He then attended to Tich and was sent off by the referee!!

Maybe the only trainer to get sent off!

To add a bit of meat to the event, Murd was the trainer at the time and ran at great speed on to the park to treat Titchie, with his bag of 'magic' and then seeing McGrain, who by now was returning to the scene of his crime to offer apologies, he ran past poor Titch and upended McGrain. He then attended to Tich and was sent off by the referee!!

Maybe the only trainer to get sent off!

This is a question for the oracle AKA CB

butch sinclair was he , ever a footballer? I remember my older brother talking about him when they played football at the Crown School, long gone? (the school!) and also Clyne I think he was involved with 3rd BB's dementia gone today

This is a question for the oracle AKA CB

butch sinclair was he , ever a footballer? I remember my older brother talking about him when they played football at the Crown School, long gone? (the school!) and also Clyne I think he was involved with 3rd BB's dementia gone today

I believe he was and in fact I have a recollection that he told me on one occasion that he had played, among other teams, for Citadel. I remember deciding to try and get some of his recollections of that on tape for the BBC but he died before I could get it done. Next time I see his son Dodo (notorious for having caught tetanus from the Academy/ Millburn field in 1967 and in consequence causing the whole lot of us to need jabbed) or his daughter Jackie I will make a point of asking.

Dodo (notorious for having caught tetanus from the Academy/ Millburn field in 1967 and in consequence causing the whole lot of us to need jabbed)

Charles, almost 40 years on I still remember that tetanus jab. Long and deep into the muscle as I remember.

• 4 weeks later...

Andy Beattie I remember from my kidhood. He used to do this special gather of cross balls using one hand and pull them down to his body. He was also number 1 choice for the British Army team for a while, whilst playing with us. Some accolade.

Andy Beattie I remember from my kidhood. He used to do this special gather of cross balls using one hand and pull them down to his body. He was also number 1 choice for the British Army team for a while, whilst playing with us. Some accolade.

Andy Beattie came to Caley from Lewis United in the Aberdeen juniors and was a bit smaller than your average goalie. The keeper who was in the British Army team was Andy Beatties understudy at Telford Street, cannot remember his first name but surname was Green. He played for Caley in a Scottish Cup tie at Motherwell in season 69-70