Scottish Cup, Caley v Rangers, 1984

Glen Mhor

I came across some newspaper cuttings the other night on the Caley v Rangers Scottish Cup tie played on 18 February 1984. The Rangers won 6-0 (H.T. 0-2) with goals from Redford, Williamson (2), Russell and McCoist (2). Attendance: 5,500. The teams:-

Caley (Manager: Ray Mackintosh)

MacDonald

Davidson

Mann

Dewar (Gibson, 69)

Summers

Corbett

Lisle

MacKintosh (Baxter, 65)

Urquhart

Docherty

Robertson

Rangers (Manager: Jock Wallace)

McCloy

Nicholl

Dawson (McPherson, 70)

McClelland

Paterson

Redford

Russell (Clark, 75)

Prytz

Williamson

McCoist

Cooper

I was at this game. Clearest memory was peter McLoy doing patter dives for the cameras. Also he was nearly scoring everytime he took a goal kick.

Who was the Gibson that came on for Caley? Was it Dave Gibson, who later returned to Caley?

Edited by SMEE

I was at this game. Clearest memory was peter McLoy doing patter dives for the cameras. Also he was nearly scoring everytime he took a goal kick.

Who was the Gibson that came on for Caley? Was it Dave Gibson, who later returned to Caley?

Aye, it was Dave Gibson.

One or two pics from the game on my site courtesy of Billy Urquhart. Look for the page called 'Urquhart Files'.

There was definitely a video of that game - I think Caley sold it. I've seen one goal from it on a bit of BBC video I've got kicking about somewhere.

Edited by The Mantis

Robbie Baxter was a great little player on the wing. Wilsie Robertson on the left, supplying the goods for Makintosh and Urquhart. GREAT DAYS!

Robbie was a great wee player but a bit of a wild one, havent seen or heard about him for years I wonder what he is up to these days

I remember this game very well. The day the tix were sold, some of the High School teachers were walking past the queue at the Caley Club looking for pupils and dragged some out...They didnt spot me though.

Want this the game that Urquart got the spotted by Rangers. Although i thought John Greig was their manager then

Want this the game that Urquart got the spotted by Rangers. Although i thought John Greig was their manager then

Oh Chris, old age is setting in :rotflmao: Think it was 1978 that he signed for Rangers, then onto Wigan before returning to his rightfull home in 1981.......... i think.

Oh Chris, old age is setting in :rotflmao: Think it was 1978 that he signed for Rangers, then onto Wigan before returning to his rightfull home in 1981.......... i think.

That's just about right. Jock Wallace spotted Billy at what I think was a friendly in 1978 and snapped him up and it would have been around 81 that he came back via Wigan.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

6-3: are you sure?

I thought it was 6-1 and I didn't think Urquhart scored, though he was probably MoM. I'll stand corrected though . . .

I remember being in either the Heathmount or Corriegarth after the game and word came through that he'd signed for Rangers. I'm sure he came in later on that evening.

Edited by buckett

8086_2.JPG

Match Programme

The Scottish Cup game result in 1984 was 0-6 - Aberdeen beat Celtic 2-1 aet in the Final with a certain Mr McGhee netting the winner. Not sure of the result for the earlier game in 1979....

Mr Urguhart did indeed return North in 1981....

From Wigan FC web-site:

URQUHART, Billy

DOB: 22nd November 1956

Other clubs: Inverness Caledonian, Rangers

Honours: Scottish League Cup winner 1979 (Rangers)

Was signed by Ian McNeill in November 1980 from Glasgow Rangers. He made his Latics League debut on 8th November 1980 against Bradford City at Springfield Park, a game that resulted in a 0-0 draw. A big striker in the mould of Simon Haworth, he never really set Springfield Park alight and by the time he left the club at the end of the season following the appointment of Larry Lloyd as manager, he had played 5+5 League games and scored 2 League goals.

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

I agree - Wallace had resigned at the end of season after a disagreement with the Rangers board and went to take over at Leicester City - Grieg took over and would have been in place pre-season....

I think it was Jock Wallace when at Leicester that then signed Kevin Macdonald from Caley the following year (1980).

McCloy

Nicholl

Dawson (McPherson, 70)

McClelland

Paterson

Redford

Russell (Clark, 75)

Prytz

Williamson

McCoist

Cooper

And only one foriegn player in that squad

And usually about 5 foreign players start for Rangers these days.

Incidentally how many start for jags these days ?

McCloy

Nicholl

Dawson (McPherson, 70)

McClelland

Paterson

Redford

Russell (Clark, 75)

Prytz

Williamson

McCoist

Cooper

And only one foriegn player in that squad

And usually about 5 foreign players start for Rangers these days.

Incidentally how many start for jags these days ?

By non foreign, i take it you mean non UK, as big John Mclelland & Jimmy Nicholl wouldnt exactly have qualified for a cap for Scotland.

Very smart thinking, as now you lot an claim rooney to be a local laddie.

Edited by CaleyHE

• 2 months later...