Where are they now

Tichy_Blacks_Back

Somebody mentioned a "Where are they now" item the other day....so thought this might be of interest to some of the Old Caley fans who watched him in action....strangely I thought he was at Caley for more than 4 years. Although it is two years old now it is an interesting article from the Stornoway Gazzete on Alex 'Nero' Macdonald....I think they ran a series of these on different players....

Field of Memories - Alex 'Nero' Macdonald

Source: Stornoway Gazzete Article

Published Date: 09 November 2006

IN THE late 1970s, in search of a change of fortunes on the field, Back turned to a fresh-faced 15 year old. Alex 'Nero' Macdonald immediately impressed everyone who was fortunate enough to watch his fleeting moments in the spotlight, and it came as no surprise when the 'boy-wonder' was unleashed from his captivity on the bench with a starting role in the Eilean an Fhraoich Cup final of 1978.

He justified his inclusion by grabbing a headed goal to equalise for his side before half-time but unfortunately it wasn't to be the teenage Nero's or Back's night as Ness scored six times in the second-half to run out comprehensive 7 ? 1 winners.

However, 'Nero's' goal was a precursor to what was to come from the striker whose goals helped propel him to the status of one of the greatest in the history of Back FC and of the Lewis and Harris game.

'Nero' explained: "At the tail end of the 1978 season I broke into the Back side as they weren't having the best of luck. The team was full of my heroes and I was so pleased to be playing. I was football daft and would often walk to Coll to watch the games and I knew most of the players as my Dad used to drive the team van and I would regularly tag along.

"I still played junior as well as senior and I was fortunate to play alongside 'Dano' and some other great players in the junior side and we won everything together.

"Half the team lived on my street. I would run up the road and meet Norrie 'B' Macleod or Bomie and it was great to have us all living so close together.

"I was delighted to have the chance to play alongside one of my heroes in Wee Willie Macdonald but I was too young to play with him in his prime. I was in the side when he returned after his accident for a short spell but I think that team with Willie, Murdo 'Bloxy', Allan George and Kenny 'Sgiathanach' were one of the best teams I ever saw in Lewis football."

At the time the Broadbay Blues possessed a great side but unfortunately they seemed to fall just short on the big honours as the league evaded them throughout 'Nero's time in Blue and he was also on the losing side in the Eilean an Fhraoich Cup final a staggering five times.

Back lost out in the finals of 1978, 1979, 1980, 1983 and 1984 but while his Bacach team mates tasted success in the islands oldest cup competition in 1982, the medal still evaded 'Nero' who had signed on with Tolsta for that season.

He said: "I went to Tolsta in 1982. That was purely a social decision and not a football one as I followed my friends. We had a good team on paper with guys like Sweeney, Charlton, George Murray, Dicey and Colin Maciver but we had too many good times off the park.

"We had some good times but my heart was always at Back and my best football times were also with them."

In 1984, 'Nero' crossed the Minch with the Tolsta team to play against Brora Rangers in what turned out to have a pivotal impact on 'Nero's life.

"Brora ended up asking me if I wanted to play for them. Suddenly, Inverness Caley showed an interest and asked me to sign for them. Just as I was speaking to them, Dundee United called but as their manager Jim Maclean was away at the moment, they wanted me to hang on till he got back.

"Caley found out about Dundee United's interest and began to pressure me into signing. They issued me with an ultimatum that if I didn't sign that weekend they wouldn't take me over from Lewis anymore.

I was desperate to play football and wanted to keep coming over so I signed and after signing Dundee United dropped their interest," he revealed.

'Nero' spent four highly successful years in Inverness and with Caley being among the top-dogs in the Highland League at the time his time with the club was paved with silver and he boasts League winning medals and cup medals from his spell.

"We had a great team and I played alongside some top players like Charlie Christie but the best I ever played with was Billy Urquhart. He was a big Rangers man and it was during a spell for him in hospital that we sealed our friendship.

"The only get well soon card he received was from the Stornoway Celtic Supporters club and with him being a big Rangers man it didn't take him long to figure out who had sent it. That sealed our friendship.

"Towards the end of my spell with them I was spending a bit of time on the bench and decided to leave. I went to Ross County but the team were not in the same class as Caley were and my interest and passion for football began to wane."

After hanging up his boots he decided to see the world and set off for a years trip which has yet to reach its conclusion.

Nero added: "I decided to go away for a year but I still seem to be going. I met a German girl in New Zealand and we ended up settling in Munich where I have been there for 11 years now. I'm fluent in German now and I don't regret for one minute going on the road to see the world. I might come home again when I'm older but the place has changed a lot since I left and you don't hear so many Lewis accents anymore. A lot of new people have come in.

"I'm still football daft and am doing my Coaching C Licence in Munich and I still play twice a week. I also went along to see both Celtic and Rangers when they were playing in Munich against FC Bayern but you better not tell anyone that I was supporting Rangers that night. I was with some Rangers supporting friends who were staying with me and I have a real dislike for Bayern."

It has been a long and eventful journey for one of Lewis' most feared goal-grabbers but 'Nero' still recalls the Eilean an Fhraoich Cup final where he made his name almost 30 years ago.

"I was in the Nicolson and on the day of the final I was playing football at school. When I played it was always at 100% and I remember we had been playing for an hour and a half or so when Murdo Matheson came racing out telling me to slow down as I had a cup final that night.

"I was only 15 and delighted to be playing and I remember I headed the ball in with the help of a deflection to equalise before half-time. I claimed it like all good strikers do but unfortunately the second-half didn't go so well for us.

"In picking my dream team I must also give a mention to 'Duff' who has been the biggest influence on my career. He is definitely the only person who, if Back were winning 8 ? 0, with you scoring six goals and less than two minutes to go, he would still shout from the sidelines 'Nero your bloody rubbish'. I have since found out that he only says things like that when he is happy and I see now that he was 30 years ahead of Jose Mourinho in his psychological tactics.

"Duff would have to be manager with his sidekick the Cab as able assistant. It's difficult to leave so many people out of the team but I'll go for these eleven guys.

"I would definitely pick Percy as I think he was the most naturally gifted player I ever saw but the only thing was you had to get him out of the Star before his third beer," added 'Nero' with a smile.

His speed off the mark and his positional sense made him a constant threat in the box while Nero also packed a venomous right foot. His electric bursts often spelled danger for opposition defences and Alex 'Nero' Macdonald will be remembered by local football fans as a striker more than worth his weight in goals

I remember all the hullabullo when Nero, or should i say Zero came over the water, it turned out to be fake hope, he was average, at best.

I worked in the post office when he was here too, i mind a small altercation with him on the way back from the annual posties sports day at Stirling University, Zero couldnt take being told he was just that.

I also recall the highly anticipated arrival of Nero at Caley Park. ALso recall thinking, what was all the fuss about?

I remember Nero's arrival at Caley was one of the first sports stories I covered for the BBC. I think he was the subject of a goodly slice of Western Isles inspired hype but in reality in the rather larger pond of Inverness and the Highland League Nero turned out not to be as large a fish as people had expected.

In all honesty, Caley could have taklen a striker just as good from Inverness' amateur/welfare set up at the time.

Nero was bummed up to be the new Billy Urq, but that never even came close to materialising.

Funny to read he's in Germany now, as he always reminded me of Boris Becker.

• 4 months later...

Isn't he playing for Nairn?

According to the Nairn web-site (Transfers Page) he was transferred to Golspie Sutherland in January.

Just noticed at the bottom of the Transfers Out list a certain Ronnie Sharp - I used to hate playing against him as you knew he was always going to give you a few problems - big lad all arms - if I remember right he was at Nairn Academy - but he must have had a fairly long HL career as he only retired at the end of 2003.

Ronnie Sharp - I used to hate playing against him as you knew he was always going to give you a few problems - big lad all arms - if I remember right he was at Nairn Academy

He was indeed and was arguable a better athlete than he was a footballer. In fact he became known as "The man who beat Colin Jackson" which he did over the 100m hurdles in the British Schools International some time in the early 80s. He also ran 10.9 for 100m sprint when he was still an under 17.

According to the Nairn web-site (Transfers Page) he was transferred to Golspie Sutherland in January.

Just noticed at the bottom of the Transfers Out list a certain Ronnie Sharp - I used to hate playing against him as you knew he was always going to give you a few problems - big lad all arms - if I remember right he was at Nairn Academy - but he must have had a fairly long HL career as he only retired at the end of 2003.

Not the same Neil MacDonald. The Nairn Neil MacDonald is from Invergordon and played for the tinks. The ICT Neil is in Orkney with the constab.