Stock Car Track

BornCaley

I remember my grandfather taking me to a stock car race. Must have been in the early to mid 70's, but i cant remember where it was.

Something about millburn road or the longman area is ringing bells, but cant remember for the life of me

any ideas?

I remember my grandfather taking me to a stock car race. Must have been in the early to mid 70's, but i cant remember where it was.

Something about millburn road or the longman area is ringing bells, but cant remember for the life of me

any ideas?

Not far from where the Caledonian Stadium is now I think but I can't remember to the nearest yard since the area has changed so much.

I have a very vague recollection of the track - possibly where the dual A9 carriageway above Macrae & Dicks is now. That's a guess though.

A wee bit nearer the sea maybe? Nearer the dump? I certainly remember being taken down on the very odd occasion in the early-mid sixties and I have this mind's eye picture of motors thrashing about but that's as much as I can recollect. It was certainly something of an Inverness institution though.

Hasn't the Longman changed over the years?! From the old slaughterhouse and Citadel ground at one end through the disappearance of all these old sort of "industrial" units to the Kessock Bridge coming along to the Stadium, to the Tinks site being made permanent, it's all different. And before the bridge there are all these acres of reclaimed land and industrial development flanking the road from the Harbour - all of that made possible by the construction of the Caledonian Stadium. Seldom can ?900,000 of Common Good Fund money ever have been put to better use. I wonder what those Councillors and Council employees who waged such a bitter rearguard action against that decision think these days?

Then at the other end of the Longman the road no longer stops at the Government Building (now the DVLA etc) and of course continues on to the Stadium roundabout and the "new" dual carriageway. I think that link went in about 1977 because we used to train with the Harriers from the Spectrum and do intervals on the new and still unusued surface. Nearer towen it's a long time since you would come over the hump backed bridge into Longman road and pass the Railwaymen's Hostel. Changed days indeed. Just a few miscellaneous thoughts.....

I recall the one at the "dump" my big brother used to take me. What noise and lots of dust, as much as I can remember.

If you were coming towards the stadium, from the roundabout, it is in to the right just where the gates/entrance is, in that direction couple of hundred yards in. Would now be sitting on what is reclaimed land.

Sundays I have just remembered, is tht correct anyone?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

cowdenbeath?? :024:

I once set out for a night at Cowdenbeath stock cars on meh trusty fizzy,never even found Cowdenbeath never mind the racing,dinnae ken if that says more about me or Cowdenbeath.............

30Oct09_007.jpg

Talking of meh fizzy,rode it to Perth one time for a game V Saints, baltic cold night, watched the whole game in crouched riding positiona s eh couldnae thaw oot :(

There was a great wee go-kart track in Aviemore

There was a better one in Inverness behind the ice rink, long gone now. Still a trach in Elgin and they do grand prix events for groups. That would be a laugh if we ever draw Elgin away in a cup.

We can only Hope :lol: