Lord Roberts' Workshops

Charles Bannerman

Can someone refresh my memory here? Lord Roberts' Workshops for disabled ex servicemen used to be down by the river near the old swimming pool - round about where the Friars Bridge is now. So was Pickfords, but did Pickfords move into the LRW premises or were they there independently on a different site? I know it's quite a long time since the LRW disappeared from Inverness so this may be one for those of the SP/ Jock Watt era.

In the same area, I can just remember when the 5th BBs built the Eddie McGillivray Memorial Hall just a few yards up river of the Black Bridge but there have been huge changes down there - look at Waterloo Place these days!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

CB - I don't remember the LRW but here are a couple of articles from Am Baile....

Lord Roberts Workshops visit June 1931

This is the third page of the Inverness Courier report on the visit of Edward, Prince of Wales, to Inverness on 26 June 1931.

The first official engagement of the day was at Lord Roberts' Memorial Workshop on Factory Street. The workshop was one of several established across Britain after World War I to provide employment for disabled ex-servicemen.

LRW Advertisment

Also see Dorando and Sons advertised there among others.... :rotflmao:

I do remember the Eddie McGillivray Hall on the 5th BBs sport evenings in the early 80s....that was back in the days of Soda Stream which I am sure many others who went at the same time will remember....

The SP/Jock Watt era ? ........What?

Jock dae ye hear whit that wee learned man is saying aboot us.

As if we are over the hill or something?

Streuth! One cannae come on a site thae days witthout getting paddled, pilloried or pigeon-holed...... :rotflmao:

As it happens Canuck sorted it out for me in the Social Club last night since his family came to Inverness in 1952 so his dad could work there, but unfortunately they closed it very soon after and it became Pickfords.