Warning to addicts after overdoses

tm4tj

I am all for the polis issuing these warnings to the addicts, but help me out here. The police are asking addicts to make sure they are safe during the taking of drugs............................Call me old fashioned, but should the polis not be going out and enforcing the law on everyone...................including those that take drugs..............

Scenario:-Help me I have been attacked by a thug..........................polis said...was he on drugs....yes...ok then you are knicked, we have to protect the drug adict as he is a victim.

Stupid scenario, but so is the statement from the polis???

see where your coming from but i agree with police releasing warnings like this...drugs is a losing battle for the police tbh, they arrest one dealer another comes along in his place, they arrest an addict for possession and they get off with it or end up in jail where they can still get there hands on drugs...they are addicts and are going to do it regardless

Edited by Mick

First and foremost the role of the Police is to protect the public. A drug addict is a member of the public and deserves the same protection as anyone else. If this protection takes the form of warning people that they should be taking care around illicit drugs about then surely the protection of life takes priority over anything else? Would Leah Betts have died had the government policy on ecstasy been to educate the public on how to use the drug safely especially that whilst dehydration is a danger, water overdose is also an equally dangerous side effect?

It also opens the question, if the government were to legalize and control the quality of drugs being used by persons on the street and at the same time spending money to tackle the underlying problems which force people to seek pleasure in these chemicals would we have anywhere near the level of crime and drug related illnesses in this country?

Incidentally the two drugs which cause the most social harm in this country are legally obtainable by anyone over the age of 18.