Benzies and the Playhouse at Christmas.

Charles Bannerman

What wonderful places these were for kids of past generations. Christmas really arrived when Santa set up home in Benzie and Millers and you approached the Grotto through a long alleyway stacked with toys - which doubtless gave kids ideas above their station as to what they wanted when the big day came and did wonders for Benzies' sales. I think it was half a crown that Santa charged in those far off innocent days when he didn't get branded an old pervert for inviting you to sit on his knee.

Then there was Jimmy Nairn's wonderful Disney creation in the Playhouse cafe with all the characters in murals around the place. What a fantastic fairyland that was.. again in a bygone age when you could admire fairys without being called a great big p**f.

Outside in "the town" the Christmas lights perhaps weren't so elaborate - just the main streets and a "Merry Christmas" on the Greig St. Bridge. Latterly they relented and put coloured panels into the street lights by the river. And the Christmas lights weren't switched on ibn these days until mid December as opposed to mid summer which is virtually the case now.

What a wonderful, romantic experience for pre pubescent baby boomers... but then the whole thing was ruined when you got older and started celebrating your Festive Season in pubs..... which closed at TEN!

Remeber the mouse 'city' too ? the big glass tank full of little houses and mice at the entrance to the restaurant in the Playhouse.. i remember staring at it for ages and asking my mum why the mice were getting lifts from each other....???

I've got 3 old prints on the wall in the reception showing Benzies and the Playhouse.. its amazing how many people fondly remember old Inverness.

I've got 3 old prints on the wall in the reception showing Benzies and the Playhouse.. its amazing how many people fondly remember old Inverness.

Aye, old Inverness was a cracking place to grow up in years ago. It was a town with character and characters but today it's become so cold and impersonal. You could be in any other city in Scotland or Britain.

Aye, old Inverness was a cracking place to grow up in years ago. It was a town with character and characters but today it's become so cold and impersonal. You could be in any other city in Scotland or Britain.

It was the highlight for me too at christmas going to the Playhouse, seeing the mice and the restaurant was a magice place for a young un

I agree about atmosphere, was home recently and the town has lost its character, didn't recognise parts of it very dissappointed

• 4 weeks later...

I loved going to the Playhouse at Christmas to post my letter to santa. They had a great fish tank in the tea room as well - afternoon tea there was always a great treat. I also remember the fab grotto in Benzies as well. It's so different these days not so special I think. Great memories of this time.

Aye, an unfortunately named shop but it was very popular and busy with the fashion and style concious Sneck lady. I think Crawfords had a bakery shop on the same site but could be wrong. There was Maclarens the newsagents on the corner and Morrison the tobacconist further up.

• 2 weeks later...

Aye, an unfortunately named shop but it was very popular and busy with the fashion and style concious Sneck lady. I think Crawfords had a bakery shop on the same site but could be wrong. There was Maclarens the newsagents on the corner and Morrison the tobacconist further up.

Was that the little, little tobacconists shop, on your left, as you went through onto High Street? Never many customers yet always seemed to make a living. You then went past the plate glass windows of the 'fifty shilling tailors' before coming on to High Street. On Woolies side, opposite the plate glass windows was the entrance to the Youth Employment Exchange, an upstair office.

Memories are made of this!