Teachers on Fairfield Road

buckett

Seem to remember there was a hooruva lot of fairly senior teachers living on Fairfield Road at one time - a disproportionate number, some might say.

Only names I can remember are Angus MacPhee (High School) and Mr Wright (IRA - biology) although I know the rector of the High School lived there and a few head teachers from primary schools.

Anyone remember any more names?

My P6 and 7 teacher Mrs. Ballantyne also used to live on Fairfield Rd, about 100 yards nearer the town and on the same side as "Bobbuc" Wright. Before that she used to live through the wall from us in the same semi in St. Andrew Drive! She was a good teacher and also pretty good at laying the belt. I also remember one time when she was organising the prizes for prizegiving I took a peek at how much mine had cost and she slapped me on top of the head. Would have been in the Sun and on a charge these days.

My Teacher from P6 in Dalneigh (Panny Duncan) lived in one of the bigger houses about half way up.

I actually think the Duncans moved into the Ballantynes' house. Robert Duncan was heidie at Lochardil for years.

"Flaky Bill" Anderson (as I believe those at the High School called their Rector) was on the other side, on the corner of Ross Avenue, more or less opposite the end of Dochfour Drive.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Mr McNeill did indeed live on Fairfield Road .... number 40 or 42 or something like that. Right next door was another teacher, cant remember if it was Anderson (headmaster) or the guy that replaced him afterwards (whose name escapes me).

"chooky" or was it spelled "Teuchie" lived just off Fairfield Road in Trafford Avenue and right on the corner, next to John Allison's shop was another teacher but I cant remember who.

right on the corner, next to John Allison's shop was another teacher but I cant remember who.

Was that no' Angus MacPhee who I mentioned in the first post - think he was head of some department in the High.

Art, maybe?

yup - you are right, that is who it was.

He belted so many of our class one year (1st or 2nd year I think) it was unbelievable. He used to get really wound up if you were more than a couple of minutes late for class and as we were all in Maths with "Plain Jane" way out in the huts during the period before Art and she never finished on time, there were a few warm hands in his class !!!

Frank Coull who taught primary 6 and 7 in the Central School also lived in Fairfield Road, one of the big houses near the top of Lochalsh Road/ Telford Gardens, His wife too was a teacher, she taught P.T. also, I believe, in the Central.

He was a fine teacher and a good man but when he brought the ''strap'' out, he was a man to be feared!

Miss MacKay was it not ... or maybe it would be gramatically correct to say ... "Wouldn't it be Miss MacKay"

certainly seems like a lot of teachers did indeed live in Fairfield Rd.

Wouldn't it , wouldn't it , wouldn't it be funny

If I had a wooden tit , wouldn't it be funny ?

Wouldn't it lived on Montague Row......among the first few houses as you turned the corner after leaving the main entrance

Miss McCuish, a teacher at Dalneigh lived with her sister Miss McCuish on Fairfield Road - near that fellow Wright. She then became Mrs Gillanders and moved out.

Incidentally, does anyone remember hanging around outside a house (on Fairfield Road) owned by a missionary - can't remember her name - who had rescued a Chinese woman and took her back to live in Inverness. Don't know the full story, or what she'd been rescued from, but back then it was such a novelty to see Oriental people in Sneck that kids would hang around outside "the Chinese House" hoping to catch a glimpse of her. One time she came out and spoke to us, very pleasantly, in understandable but accented English - we were fair chuffed about that. The house had a Chinese name as I recall.

Miss McCuish, a teacher at Dalneigh lived with her sister Miss McCuish on Fairfield Road - near that fellow Wright. She then became Mrs Gillanders and moved out.

Incidentally, does anyone remember hanging around outside a house (on Fairfield Road) owned by a missionary - can't remember her name - who had rescued a Chinese woman and took her back to live in Inverness. Don't know the full story, or what she'd been rescued from, but back then it was such a novelty to see Oriental people in Sneck that kids would hang around outside "the Chinese House" hoping to catch a glimpse of her. One time she came out and spoke to us, very pleasantly, in understandable but accented English - we were fair chuffed about that. The house had a Chinese name as I recall.

The missionary's name was Miss Helen MacLean and the Chinese woman was called Shu Fan. Miss MacLean had been a missionary in China (or at least that's what I understand the missionary position to have been :rotflmao: ) during the 1930s when it could be quite dangerous to be Chinese and she had rescued the woman from the country. They stayed towards the top, not far from the end of Dunain Rd. but on the Dalneigh side. My recollection of them was from the 60s and indeed it was very unusual to see a Chinese person in a town which at the time had no more than 2 or 3 Chinese restaurants.

I do also remember a Miss McCuish at Dalneigh but don't remember her becoming Mrs Gillanders (hence presumably also becoming more familiar with the missionart position :thumb04: ).

By the way I took a run along Fairfield Rd last night and the house which was initially occupied by the Ballantynes and then by the Duncan's was No. 57 "Glencoe".

Wouldn't it , wouldn't it , wouldn't it be funny

If I had a wooden tit , wouldn't it be funny ?

Don't see the need to mock the poor woman who I am sure suffered quite considerably. She was one of the OK teachers at the High School in the old days.

Edited by caleyboy

The missionary's name was Miss Helen MacLean and the Chinese woman was called Shu Fan. Miss MacLean had been a missionary in China (or at least that's what I understand the missionary position to have been :rotflmao: ) during the 1930s when it could be quite dangerous to be Chinese and she had rescued the woman from the country. They stayed towards the top, not far from the end of Dunain Rd. but on the Dalneigh side. My recollection of them was from the 60s and indeed it was very unusual to see a Chinese person in a town which at the time had no more than 2 or 3 Chinese restaurants.

I do also remember a Miss McCuish at Dalneigh but don't remember her becoming Mrs Gillanders (hence presumably also becoming more familiar with the missionart position :thumb04: ).

By the way I took a run along Fairfield Rd last night and the house which was initially occupied by the Ballantynes and then by the Duncan's was No. 57 "Glencoe".

57 is my grans house think Glencoe is 51

Edited by Mick

• 3 weeks later...