Teachers on Fairfield Road

buckett

Ma Wright, Maths teacher at the High School lived on Fairfied Road.

I think this may well be the wife of Bobbuck Wright, head of Biology at the Royal Academy who is mentioned further up the thread.

Ma Wright taught Math in the High School many moons ago when I used to go there, I left School in 1961 and she was middle-aged at that time, so do your Math and figure out how old she would be now if, indeed, she is still with us.

Ma Wright, Maths teacher at the High School lived on Fairfied Road.

I think this may well be the wife of Bobbuck Wright, head of Biology at the Royal Academy who is mentioned further up the thread.

Ma Wright taught Math in the High School many moons ago when I used to go there, I left School in 1961 and she was middle-aged at that time, so do your Math and figure out how old she would be now if, indeed, she is still with us.

Bobbuck Wright retired from the Royal Academy in about 1973 so would probably be about 100 by now and indeed I seem to remember hearing a dmall number of years ago that he had died at about 96 or thereby.

• 3 weeks later...

Miss McCuish was a deft layer of the belt, and I was one of her bes tcustomers. I used to get walloped EVERY day on account of my handwriting. It never worked and can stil make a doctors prescription look lik coperplate. God bless the 'puter.

I recall Bobak retiring. My class was on his last day and he decided to give us a lecture on venereal diseases as his legacy, full of moral subtexts and warnings of grim repercussions, and just like Mrs McCuish's belt.....

btw why were all lady teachers known as "Ma"? Or if they have to reach a certain age, how old before you ge that sobriquet?

Miss McCuish was a deft layer of the belt, and I was one of her bes tcustomers. I used to get walloped EVERY day on account of my handwriting. It never worked and can stil make a doctors prescription look lik coperplate. God bless the 'puter.

I recall Bobak retiring. My class was on his last day and he decided to give us a lecture on venereal diseases as his legacy, full of moral subtexts and warnings of grim repercussions, and just like Mrs McCuish's belt.....

btw why were all lady teachers known as "Ma"? Or if they have to reach a certain age, how old before you ge that sobriquet?

Do you mean Miss McCuish at Dalneigh Gordy? I never had her and it's maybe just as well if she laid deft strokes of the belt for bad writing. I was the only kid in my class at Dalneigh that got remedial handwriting and would have suffered terribly! Mrs Ballantyne whom i had could lay it as well but was more tolerant of handwriting.

So when Bobbuck retired from the Academy you got a lecture on VD etc :rotflmao: Do you remember when in 2nd year the girls got taken off for lectures that we were not told about? I've since found out that these were given by a Miss Annabelle Duncan of the "Alliance of Honour" which I can only take to be some sort of "no sex" organisation. In practice this sounds like simply the WORST kind of person you could get to do this kind of job.

As for "Ma" I think it was a combination of age and married status. in the Academy we had, for instance, Ma Hardie and Ma Murray who were both married middle agers. On the other hand the single ones were never called "Ma".

Edited by Charles Bannerman