News
    There is no UNITY without COMM-UNITY ///---///\\\---\\\ Please sign the petition at change.org CLICK HERE ///---///\\\---\\\

After Thomas the book

gerx13

'A friend like Henry' is the soon to be released book of the drama 'After Thomas' that was showing on ITV last Boxing day. Its a more in depth look at the story of the autistic boy and his dog, that the critics claimed to be the best programme on TV that day.

It covers a lot of areas that the drama couldn't. It is sad as well as being uplifting and will detail the trials and tribulations of the journey that this family had to take to get a diagnosis and help for their son. Help that came from an unexpected source. The book is written by the boy's mother and my sister-in-law Nuala Gardner. Who has tried to not only make it a good read but it is her hope that families, who may be facing a similar journey, can refer to this book as a guide or an inspiration. It will be availiable in most good book stores from the 26th of July and a percentage of the profits will go to the Autistic society.

:read02: :thumb04: :read02:

I watched this programme myself as i have a child with special needs...... i will deffo be buying the book well i have just informed jnr that he can treat me to it a nice read for the flight to spain i think !!!

I'll definitely buy this book when it comes out. My wee boy is Autistic and  I tend not to read, watch or look into Autism cos I find it too upsetting, instead I focus on my wee man and what his condition is to him, but this book is something different.  Thanks for the info.

I hope that after reading it that you would post your thoughts on the book. Nuala was up here at the weekend and I know that she'd love to hear your thoughts. I can't wait to read it myself ........ never been in a book before hope I don't come over as a t*sser!  :024:

• 1 month later...

Got my copy of the book. It's strange reading for me, as I know most of the people in the book, intimately! It's like reading someone close diary, curious with a bit of guilt. My wee bit is located on page 142........ immortalised in literature, must admit I got a wee kick out of seeing my deed/name in print.

I'm half way through the book, it's very touching and I like the way she has added what the professionals thought of her by using their own words from their reports. It's a touching story and I'm very proud and a tad envious of her literary skills, always fancied writing a book but I lack the needed literary skills.

If your unlucky to have a kid with learning difficulties I hope you find this book a bit of comfort or inspiration. If your just looking for a summer read then you could do a lot worse than this emotional tale.

When the pages are dry, can I read them.

Well done gerx for highlighting a very emotive subject.

Can I also add..................don't miss Hayseed Dixie at the Ironworks  at the end of August...If you like your rock with a Hillbilly twist, get your tickets.

When the pages are dry, can I read them.

Well done gerx for highlighting a very emotive subject.

Can I also add..................don't miss Hayseed Dixie at the Ironworks  at the end of August...If you like your rock with a Hillbilly twist, get your tickets.

Great band, missed them when they were last up and the time they did the Raigmore. I'm on holiday then so it looks like I'm gonna miss out again. Anyone who doesn't know them try a taste

Right just finished the book it was amazing...I was so intreged in this book....I shed a wee tear at the end when  Dale realised it was kinder to let Henry go it was sad....sniff sniff  :cry03: :cry02:

I have a list of people now wanting to borrow my copy of the book so  ive had to say they can have it in order of asking i have told them how good it is. If more people were to wtite books like this more people might understand that you dont have to look disabeld to be disabeld. I know how this feels just like Dales mum and dad i know in a way how they feel.