Jump to content
  • Signup for more content

    Our main forums are visible to guests along with a few other features. Login to access more content.

  • tm4tj

    Inverness CT 1-3 Motherwell - CIS League Cup

    Well spoil home visit


    A rare 2004/05 home match at Caledonian Stadium but, by SFA decree, only the stand was in use. 

    Everyone was hoping to see Caley Thistle record another win in this season's CIS Cup, especially as the game was being played in Inverness, but the loss of two goals early in the second half meant it was another uphill struggle. 

    ICT did manage to get a goal back but a late strike by the visitors meant they ran out 3-1 winners and into a place in the Quarter-Final draw. 

    ICT began the game well and Richie Hart was first to threaten Marshall in the 'Well goal with a cracking free-kick but he clutched the ball very confidently. A minute later and Bryan Prunty looked to have been upended in the box but the appeals for a penalty kick were waived away by the referee. 

    Barry Wilson was next to have a go after great work by Prunty and his 25-yard drive went just over the bar. The tempo of the game was quick and both sides looked to be evenly matched throughout the opening 45 minutes. 

    Chances were created by Hart, Hislop and Wilson for Caley Thistle and McDonald (twice) and Foran had efforts for the visitors but it remained goalless at the half-time whistle.

    Half Time: 0-0 

    The home support were in shock at the start of the second half as Motherwell netted twice in seven minutes. Two minutes into the half Richie Foran picked up the ball just inside the box and fired home from 12 yards to give the Steelmen the lead. And worse was to follow when Grant Munro lost possession inside the penalty area and Phil O'Donnell had an easy chance to tuck the ball home from eight yards. 

    The home side were stung into action and swarmed over the 'Well penalty area and were awarded a free-kick in 57 minutes. From Richie Hart’s kick, Gordon Marshall parried the ball out to Ross Tokely who struck it goalwards only to see the keeper block his effort. Tokely was on hand to take the rebound and score from a couple of yards. 

    This brought Caley Thistle right back into the game. Tokely nearly levelled the game five minutes later but his shot from all of 25 yards went just over the crossbar. And if that attempt was close ICT captain Stuart Golabek was even closer when his ferocious 30-yard effort was tipped over by Marshall for a corner kick. 

    At the other end Mark Brown pulled off a tremendous save from Scott McDonald before the tie was settled with seven minutes remaining, McBride tapping home from close range.

    Full Time: 1-3 

    A disappointing temporary return to Inverness.




    Inverness CT: 1 (Tokely 56)

    Team: Brown; Tokely, Munro, McCaffrey, Golabek, Wilson, Hart, Keogh (Duncan 70), McBain, 

    Prunty (Juanjo 56), Hislop (Bayne 56) 

    Subs not used: Fraser; Dods - Bookings: McCaffrey (60)

    Motherwell: 3  (Foran 46, O'Donnell 52, McBride 83)

    Team: Marshall; Corrigan, Hammell, Kinniburgh, Craigan, McBride (Fagan 76), Leitch, O’Donnell,

    Foran, Clarkson (Paterson 74), McDonald

    Subs not used: Corr; Burns, Partridge - Bookings: None

    Referee: Kevin Toner

    Attendance: 1464

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. : Terms of Use : Guidelines : Privacy Policy