Jump to content
  • Signup for more content

    Our main forums are visible to guests along with a few other features. Login to access more content.

  • Guest

    Livingston 3-0 Inverness CT - SPL


    First SPL game ends in defeat


    An historic day in the short life of Inverness Caledonian Thistle but, in the end, bitter disappointment. The meeting of the two clubs in the SPL completed a piece of Scottish football history – Livingston and ICT became the first clubs to meet in all four divisions.

    Unfortunately for Inverness it was not the introduction to the SPL that they wanted, but a lesson learned for the future, and one they would heed.

    As Vera Lynn once said: We'll Meet Again


     LIVINGSTON  3 (O’Brien 44, Easton 57, Lovell 66)

    Team: McKenzie, McNamee, Rubio, Dorado, Boyack, O’Brien, Easton, McLaughlin, Lilley, Lovell, Libbra (Hamilton 65)

    Subs – McMenamin, Dair, Brittain, Snowdon, Bahoken & Meldrum


    Team: Brown, Tokely, McCaffrey, Munro, Golabek, Wilson, Duncan (Hart 58), Keogh, McBain (Black 65), Hislop (Juanjo 58), Bayne

    Subs – Dods, Proctor, Prunty & Fraser

     Referee  C Richmond
     Attendance  3310
     Man of the Match  Stuart Lovell

    A new SPL rule meant that seven substitutes were named but only three could play.

    Caley Thistle started brightly and in the second minute a Russell Duncan header was only partly cleared and the ball fell to Liam Keogh – from 15 yards he shot high. In nine minutes Livi’s Scott McLaughlin raced down the left, found Steve Boyack and his ball across goal came off the woodwork. Wilson hit low and just wide of the Livi goal and a David McNamee shot was blocked. Burton O’Brien hit wide in 33 minutes after Mark Brown pushed down a cross then Brown held a shot from Derek Lilley. With the half-time whistle only seconds away Livi made the breakthrough when McCaffrey tried to head back to Brown. Communications broke down as the ‘keeper came out and O’Brien only had to tap in to the empty goal for 1-0.

    Half Time: 1-0

    The second half was mostly Livingston but in 54 minutes Steve Hislop set Wilson up one-on-one with Roddy McKenzie but it fell to his left foot and he hit wide. It was no surprise when Livi extended their lead in 57 minutes. Boyack sprinted down the right, neatly rounded Golabek then his low ball was turned in at the near post by Easton. Substitute Richie Hart tried from 25 yards in 63 minutes but it went wide then McKenzie held a deflected Hart effort from long range. The third goal in 66 minutes was a simple one as Lovell and Jim Hamilton combined to walk through the defence – Lovell touched it in from close-range. ICT created a couple of good late chances when a curling Hart free kick was headed over by Tokely then a McCaffrey lob gave Bayne an opening – Rubio stepped in quickly to clear. With two minutes added time on the clock Lilley headed wide and it stayed 3-0.

    Full Time: 3-0

    A bad start to the season and a taste of the level of football to expect in the coming months.

    Welcome to the SPL!

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. : Terms of Use : Guidelines : Privacy Policy