Jump to content
  • Signup for more content

    Our main forums are visible to guests along with a few other features. Login to access more content.

  • tm4tj

    Inverness CT 2-1 Kilmarnock - Report

    Title on hold as ICT win.


    Killie came North with a big following looking to get one hand on the title whilst Inverness were hoping to strengthen their grip on a play-off spot. A win for Killie tonight and defeat for Arbroath tomorrow afternoon and they will have both hands on the title and on their way back to the Premiership. An even first forty-five with Campbell and Shaw coming closest for the visitors and Chalmers and Samuels having the best efforts for the hosts, but it remained scoreless at the interval. The pace warmed up after the break and it was Ash Taylor that opened the scoring after a misplaced header from Kirk Broadfoot landed at his feet. Dodds took the bull by the horns with a double substitution and that seemed to give us the impetus to have a go at Killie. Billy Mckay hustled a poachers goal with fifteen minutes left, and once more Logan Chalmers came up trumps with a well executed goal to round off the scoring. What this means is that Inverness are guaranteed a play-off place and Killie have a bit more work to do.


    No fresh injury worries for Inverness but Aaron Doran was on the bench with Austin Samuels starting and Wallace Duffy started at right back with David Carson benched. Roddy MacGregor returned to the bench after showing no reactions to his appearance last weekend. Kilmarnock were unchanged which meant that Daniel Mackay was on the bench for the visitors.

    A beautiful calm night for a game of football, also shown on council TV, saw the Caley Jags set the ball rolling and it was a cagey opening ten minutes that followed as both sides probed for an opening.

    Danger man Kyle Lafferty had the ball in the net in the tenth minute but was adjudged offside as Killie just shaded the opening stages.

    Inverness were giving away numerous petty free kicks and from one of those Mark Ridgers made a diving interception from a dangerous ball whipped into the box.

    Oli Shaw had a twelve yard shot blocked by Danny Devine as Killie opened up their hosts down their left wing with Ridgers sprawling across his line.

    At the other end Zach Hemming made a great interception as Billy Mckay tried to latch onto a ball forward.

    Ridgers stood tall to make a good save as Campbell burst forward at pace, the keeper using strong hands to beat the ball over the bar for a corner but again Ridgers dealt well with the cross.

    Half way through the first period and Killie were having the better of the game so far as Inverness struggled to hold onto the ball.

    However, a tremendous diagonal ball forward from Kirk Broadfoot picked out Logan Chalmers and he shot early from distance on the left, but his effort caught the side net and Austin Samuels had a close range shot blocked six yards out as Inverness opened up.

    Danny Devine conceded a corner with a well timed interception as Shaw tried to get onto a ball flicked into the box. From the corner, Shaw's header clipped the top of the crossbar on the way behind for a goal kick.

    Mckay was very close to connecting with the ball as a Sean Welsh delivery curled into the box, but once again Hemming did well to put Billy off his stride and the keeper was able to tidy up. Reece McAlear volleyed over after a free kick as the hosts got to grip with the game, the ball going for a fruitless corner five minutes before the break.

    HALF TIME: 0-0

    Killie came out of the blocks quickest at the start of the second half and Fraser Murray had a shot blocked on the angle of the six yard box by Robbie Deas. 

    Hemming did well to push away a powerful shot from Samuels after he turned well twenty yards out and a minute later Broadfoot was denied by a diving Hemming at the expense of a corner.

    Blair Alston won a corner as he lashed an effort just wide and seconds later Killie took the lead after Broadfoot inadvertently knocked a header towards Ash Taylor who deftly tucked the ball over Ridgers and into the net.

    Double sub for Inverness  with Samuels and McAlear being replaced by Aaron Doran and David Carson and that triggered an impressive spell for Inverness culminating in a pulsating finale.

    Some good pressure from the hosts paid off when Billy Mckay scrambled the ball in from close range to restore parity. Even better would follow six minutes later. Once again it was Logan Chalmers to the rescue as he drove a low shot into the net from ten yards at the back post. Get in ya dancer.

    FULL TIME: 2-1

    May be an image of text that says "2 FULL TIME 1"Inverness saw out the game well in control and thoroughly deserved the three points and a play-off slot. Killie have more work to do to clinch the cinch.

    Good performances all round with Devine a rock at the back. Ridgers did well with some great interceptions early on, punching dangerous cross balls clear of danger. Deas, Duffy did well to shackle the early advances of Killie. The midfield worked tirelessly and what else can you say about Billy Mckay. He scores when he wants and Logan the loan did it again. Four goals in four games. Good work lad and much appreciated.


    Match reaction and videos to follow














    Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts
    Updated table after Inverness CT 2-1 Kilmarnock
    1. Kilmarnock 34 19 6 9 47 25 63
    2. Arbroath 33 15 14 4 45 25 59
    3. Inverness CT 33 14 11 8 47 32 53
    4. Partick Thistle 33 13 10 10 44 36 49
    5. Raith Rovers 33 10 13 10 40 43 43
    6. Morton 33 9 13 11 36 42 40
    7. Hamilton Ac. 33 9 12 12 37 47 39
    8. Ayr United 33 8 11 14 34 48 35
    9. Dunfermline 33 6 14 13 33 49 32
    10. Q.O.S. 32 6 8 18 30 46 26


    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner



    Date: 15/04/2022  Venue: Caledonian Stadium Attendance: 3829 Referee: Don Robertson
    Inverness CT: 2

    • Manager: Billy Dodds
    • Lineup:  Ridgers; Duffy, Broadfoot, Devine, Deas, Samuels (Doran 70), Welsh, McAlear (Carson 70),
    • Sutherland, Chalmers (Harper 84), B Mckay (Hardy 88)
    • Subs (not used):  C Mackay; Hyde, MacGregor, Walsh
    • Scorers: Mckay (76), Chalmers (82)
    • Booked: Deas (72)
    • Sent Off: none

    Kilmarnock: 1

    • Manager: Derek McInnes
    • Lineup: Hemming; Hodson, Taylor, Stokes, McGinn (Glass 83), Campbell, Alston, F Murray (Mackay 90+1),
    • Lyons, Shaw, Lafferty, 
    • Subs (not used): Walker; E Murray, Naismith, McGowan, Sanders, Burke, Armstrong
    • Scorers: Taylor (60)
    • Booked: none
    • Sent Off: none


    • Like 2

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. : Terms of Use : Guidelines : Privacy Policy