Jump to content
  • Guest

    Dunfermline 2-2 Inverness CT - SPL


    In a game best described as "The Great Escape", Craig Dargo and Dennis Wyness both got on the scoresheet in the closing period to rescue a point for Caley Thistle in a 2-2 draw.

    With eleven minutes gone Caley Thistle were 2-0 down and when Darren Young hit the post it was nearly 3-0. Amazingly the last ten minutes produced a penalty goal from Craig Dargo and a strike from Dennis Wyness to gain a point.


     Wednesday 8th February 2006  East End Park - Dunfermline
     DUNFERMLINE ATHLETIC FC (Dick Campbell)  2 (Hunt 8, Burchill 11)

    Team: Halliwell, McCunnie, Shields, S Wilson, Zambernardi, Donnelly (Simmons 59:yellowcard:), Mason, Darren Young, Muirhead (Campbell 35), Hunt, Burchill (Thomson 84)

    Subs - Phinn, C Wilson & Paterson

     INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE FC  2 (Dargo pen 81, Wyness 88)

    Team: Brown, Tokely, Dods, McCaffrey:yellowcard:, Hastings (Hart 64), Wilson, Duncan, McBain (Fox 27:yellowcard:), Golabek:yellowcard:, Dargo, Bayne (Wyness 64)

    Subs - Proctor, Morgan, McAllister & Fraser

     Referee  B Winter
     Attendance  3355
     Man of the Match  Info Not Provided


    Radio Scotland reporter Charles Bannerman described this as ‘The Great Escape’ and he was spot on.

    Charlie Christie made three changes from Saturday’s draw with Partick. Injuries to Ian Black and Grant Munro led to starts for Stuart McCaffrey and Stuart Golabek. Graham Bayne also came in for Dennis Wyness. Dunfermline made one enforced change with Bryn Halliwell taking over in goal from the injured Allan McGregor.

    Caley Thistle started brightly and had an early chance, but Dunfermline quickly took control. In eight minutes Noel Hunt made it 1-0 with a low header past Mark Brown following a Scott Muirhead corner from the right. Three minutes later Mark Burchill took a headed pass from Noel Hunt and sent a left foot shot into the top corner to make it 2-0. The Pars surged forward to sew the game up and there was let-off when Darren Young hit the post and Hunt netted from the rebound – thankfully for ICT he was judged to be offside. In 25 minutes Barry Wilson came close to pulling one back when his 20 yard free kick hit the bar and went over for a goal kick. Both sides were forced into first half substitutions through injury with Liam Fox replacing Roy McBain and Andy Campbell on for Scott Muirhead who departed the field on a stretcher.

    Half Time: 2-0

    Six minutes after the break Dunfermline thought it was 3-0 when a Donnelly corner was headed goalwards by Burchill but Fox hooked it off the line. Christie sent on Richie Hart and Dennis Wyness in 64 minutes and the latter started the fightback when he earned a penalty with nine minutes left. He went down with Scott Wilson and Yannick Zambernardi in attendance and a spot kick was awarded – despite the vocal Dunfermline protests that the decision was harsh. Craig Dargo sent Halliwell the wrong way and it was game on. Caley Thistle drove forward confidently and with two minutes on the clock Wyness acrobatically volleyed over Halliwell to make it 2-2. The Pars tried hard to regain the advantage but were denied in the dying seconds by a brilliant save from Brown as he pushed a Hunt ball onto the post then caught the rebound.

    Full Time: 2-2

    Last Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Partick felt like a loss – in the light of the bad start this 2-2 draw felt like a win!

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. : Terms of Use : Guidelines : Privacy Policy