There is no UNITY without COMM-UNITY : Please sign the petition at CLICK HERE ///---///\\\---\\\ JOIN the Supporters Trust : We need Supporter #TogetherNESS more than ever and to speak with one voice. Join the Trust today CLICK HERE ///---///\\\---\\\
Jump to content
  • Signup for more content

    Our main forums are visible to guests along with a few other features. Login to access more content.

  • Guest

    Inverness CT 1-2 Celtic - Scottish CUP

     Leading 1-0 with just over two minutes to go things looked good for ICT. However Steven Pressley and Kenny Miller put paid to that with goals in 88 and 90 minutes to send ICT crashing out of the cup. Club Historian Ian Broadfoot supplies the official report from this game.


     28th January 2007 Tulloch Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
    Team: Fraser, Tokely, Dods, Munro, Hastings, Rankin, :yellowcard:Black (McSwegan 77), Duncan, McBain (Hart 46), Wilson:yellowcard: (McAllister 86), Bayne:yellowcard:

    Subs: McCaffrey & Ridgers

     CELTIC  2 (Pressley, Miller 90)
    Team: Boruc, Wilson (Sheridan 73), Naylor, Pressley, McManus, Nakamura, Lennon, Hartley, Sno (Graveson 78), Jarosik (McGeady 65), Miller:yellowcard: 

    Subs: Telfer & McGovern

     Referee  Dougie McDonald
     Attendance  7119
     Man of the Match  Graham Bayne (ICT)


    This was not just robbery – it was grand larceny! Just when it looked as if Caley Thistle were about to inflict a third Scottish Cup victory over Celtic – and a well deserved one – up popped Steven Pressley to head an equaliser two minutes from time. That was bad enough but Kenny Miller’s strike 50 seconds over time was devastating.

    Charlie Christie: "It's an understatement to say I am gutted we are out of the cup...  It's a real sore one to take, even a draw would have been sore enough". The home side matched Celtic in every department and their 18th minute lead was no real surprise. If Graham Bayne’s second goal in 28 minutes had not been ruled out for offside it would have been all over.

    Not surprisingly there was a strong build up to this third Scottish Cup meeting of the sides with great debate as to whether lightning could strike for a third time. With ICT wins in 2000 and 2003 Celtic clearly were taking nothing for granted and they travelled up two days ahead of the game.

    Celtic absentees were the injured Craig Beattie, Maceij Zarowski and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink. In addition Mark Brown was cup tied. Caley Thistle were still missing the injured Craig Dargo and Dennis Wyness.

    In a surprise move Charlie Christie played Barry Wilson up front with Graham Bayne and Ian Black was recalled to midfield at the expense of Rory McAllister.

    Ian Black hit a long range effort well wide in the second minute then Kenny Miller had a run through but his final shot was blocked by Mike Fraser’s legs. This was to be Celtic’s best first half chance.

    After half-chances at both ends the home side took an 18th minute lead after a fine move. Black strode through the centre, found Barry Wilson on the left wing and he slipped the ball cleverly past Steven Pressley before sending it low across goal – Graham Bayne was first to react and he touched it home virtually unchallenged from six yards.

    A Nakamura 15 yard shot was pushed away by Fraser in 25 minutes then three minutes later it was nearly 2-0. A long range Black shot was deflected and Artur Boruc could not hold it – Bayne slid in to score but offside was called. TV pictures confirmed that Bayne was a couple of feet offside when Black shot.

    Just before the break a Nakamura free kick from the right reached a well-positioned Jiri Jarosik but he miskicked badly.

    Half Time: 1-0

    Into the second half and more of the same – Caley Thistle keeping Celtic at bay, creating chances and not in the least bit overawed. Celtic had a great chance to equalise in 54 minutes but Nakamura’s angled strike from the left thundered off the bar.

    The pattern continued until a dramatic last few minutes. Two minutes from the end of the regulation 90 a Nakamura corner from the left was headed goalwards by Stephen McManus from 6 yards and Steven Pressley finished the job by heading in from a yard out.

    There was worse to come a minute into the two minutes of added time. Nakamura sent a through ball to Miller, he played a one-two with Cillian Sheridan and Miller hit a curling low shot from 24 yards into the bottom corner for an amazing winner. He was booked for celebrating with the crowd but it was all over and a stunned Caley Thistle were out of the cup.

    Full Time: 1-2 unbelievable

    There was disbelief all round:ohmy: and not a few tears😪 Sadly it has to be back to the league.


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. : Terms of Use : Guidelines : Privacy Policy