Jump to content
  • Signup for more content

    Our main forums are visible to guests along with a few other features. Login to access more content.

  • Guest

    Kilmarnock 1-1 Inverness CT- SPL


    Last season there were 3 entertaining draws between the sides and it has started in a familiar fashion this season. Colin Nish scored for Kilmarnock in 7 minutes and Craig Dargo levelled it in the 19th. Although Dominating the second half, Caley Thistle had Mark Brown to thank for a world class save in the final minute that would have undeservedly won it for Killie.


     23rd September 2006  Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
     KILMARNOCK  1 (Nish 7)

    Team: Smith, Fowler, Lilley, Hay, G Murray, F Wright, Invincible (S Murray 75), Nish, Johnston, Wales, Fernandez (Di Giacomo 83)

    Subs – O’Leary, Leven, I Campbell, Adams & Harpur


    Team: Brown, Tokely, Dods, Munro, Hastings, Wilson, Black (Hart 46), Rankin, McBain, Dargo (McAllister 90), Bayne

    Subs – McCaffrey, Duncan, Keogh, Sutherland & Fraser

     Referee  Mike McCurry
     Attendance  4809
     Man of the Match  Colin Nish (Kilmarnock)


    With three league draws last season between these sides those of a betting persuasion could justifiably have put money on a share of the points – and they would have been right.

    After the midweek cup defeat to Falkirk Charlie Christie reinstated John Rankin and Ian Black to the starting line-up although Black was substituted at half time to avoid a possible second yellow card.

    Craig Dargo returned to haunt his old club with the equaliser and he came very close to scoring a winner. He was initially castigated for a bad miss 20 minutes from time but his claim of a fine Graeme Smith save was upheld by TV pictures. 

    In the opening minutes Black hit just over the Killie bar then a Gary Wales strike at the other end was deflected for a corner. Killie took a seventh minute lead when Colin Nish pushed through a packed defence to head in a David Fernandez corner.

    Dargo’s goal came in nineteen minutes when a long throw from Grant Munro on the right was headed on by Darren Dods and Dargo netted from a difficult angle beyond the far post. In 37 minutes Graham Bayne appeared to be sandwiched in the Killie box but referee Mike McCurry did not agree.

    Half Time 1-0

    Richie Hart replaced Black in the second half and the visitors pressed hard. Graham Bayne headed wide from 12 yards then Dargo headed over and hit the post.

    The Inverness side’s best chance of a winner came in 70 minutes when a low Richie Hart drive was spilled by Smith and Dargo nipped in to hopefully touch in the rebound – somehow Smith recovered enough to push the ball onto the post and the danger was averted. Hart then had a 12 yard shot deflected for a corner.

    The save of the season came in the final minute when Frazer Wright took an Alan Johnston cross and his downwards header seemed destined to bring the winner – Mark Brown dived to save with an impressed BBC radio commentator comparing it to Gordon Banks at his best.

    Full Time: 1-1

    A good point on the road but a minor slip to ninth spot.

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. : Terms of Use : Guidelines : Privacy Policy