Time To Go With Three Strikers

Renegade

Does anyone else agree that the time has come to start the home games with three strikers? I certainly do. It seems just now that Butcher seems to try and play the same system at home and away which doesn't seem to be working at home. Away, yes this defensive style and holding back a little bit seems to work in the away games, but at home ICT have to become more attacking. For me a switch to three strikers at home and going for a win from the very begining has to be done and using three strikers can help with this. We've seen now, and from the home record that the current system of 4-5-1, or a defensive minded 4-4-2 just isn't working, and switching, to the most likely three strikers formation, the 4-3-3 might well be the answer in sorting out the awful home record. I'm not sure ICT have the defence just now to play 3-4-3, so 4-3-3 may have to be used.

It's been quite a long time now since we've seen entertaining attacking football at Caley Stadium, but switching a system like this may not just improve the entertainment quality, but may also improve the home results as well. But who to play in this front three? For me, I'd go with Barrowman, Foran and Odhiambo, providing all are fully fit. It's obvious that both Foran and Barrowman need someone to help and feed off them in able to reach their potential, and with the added zip of Odhiambo, could give the spark to the front line that it needs. Besides Odhiambo, I wouldn't mind seeing how well Sanchez or Imrie could also do alongside them.

Thoughts?

Does anyone else agree that the time has come to start the home games with three strikers? I certainly do. It seems just now that Butcher seems to try and play the same system at home and away which doesn't seem to be working at home. Away, yes this defensive style and holding back a little bit seems to work in the away games, but at home ICT have to become more attacking. For me a switch to three strikers at home and going for a win from the very begining has to be done and using three strikers can help with this. We've seen now, and from the home record that the current system of 4-5-1, or a defensive minded 4-4-2 just isn't working, and switching, to the most likely three strikers formation, the 4-3-3 might well be the answer in sorting out the awful home record. I'm not sure ICT have the defence just now to play 3-4-3, so 4-3-3 may have to be used.

It's been quite a long time now since we've seen entertaining attacking football at Caley Stadium, but switching a system like this may not just improve the entertainment quality, but may also improve the home results as well. But who to play in this front three? For me, I'd go with Barrowman, Foran and Odhiambo, providing all are fully fit. It's obvious that both Foran and Barrowman need someone to help and feed off them in able to reach their potential, and with the added zip of Odhiambo, could give the spark to the front line that it needs. Besides Odhiambo, I wouldn't mind seeing how well Sanchez or Imrie could also do alongside them.

Thoughts?

While it is nice to talk about him, my memories of Eric grow hazier by the week. I think I saw him running at defences for two minutes once about April 09, but can't be sure. A striker, wasn't he?

Clicked on the topic title and thought it was gonna be a bit ambitious a few days before an away game, then read the first line. But aye, I agree we need to start getting more goals, and 3 upfront is the way to go at home from now.

My choice would be Foran, with Imrie and Sanchez either side.

Then a midfield of Proctor, Cox and Hayes, providing enough support in attack, and stability in defence also.

All these 6 players have proven they can hit the net for us, so hopefully they would start flying in eh.. We can all dream though. :022:

To use a 4-3-3 properly, we'd need wing backs not a couple of 30-something full backs. You know, the type of athletic player capable of charging down those really wide area's that we have at TCS then when the attack breaks down, he should be able to get back to defend in no time at all. Otherwise we'd be totally defenseless on the wings. Opposition wingers could get as far as the final third, virtually unopposed. Bad times.

In short, we will not see a proper 4-3-3 (the way we'd all imagine it) any time soon. Unless it's against us.

I say we stop this nonsense of playing Imrie up front, get him on the left wing, get Hayes on the right have McBain in the middle, and Sanchez playing slightly behind Foran and Rooney/Barrowman (until Odhiambo comes back).

To use a 4-3-3 properly, we'd need wing backs not a couple of 30-something full backs. You know, the type of athletic player capable of charging down those really wide area's that we have at TCS then when the attack breaks down, he should be able to get back to defend in no time at all. Otherwise we'd be totally defenseless on the wings. Opposition wingers could get as far as the final third, virtually unopposed. Bad times.

In short, we will not see a proper 4-3-3 (the way we'd all imagine it) any time soon. Unless it's against us.

I say we stop this nonsense of playing Imrie up front, get him on the left wing, get Hayes on the right have McBain in the middle, and Sanchez playing slightly behind Foran and Rooney/Barrowman (until Odhiambo comes back).

Agree fully with Jay 7 but would add you also need the correct midfield as well to plat this. Another poster suggested a midfield of Proctor, Cox and Hayes. Plat a midfield like that and we will ship even more goals if we play 4-3-3.

As with all systems, you need the players to play them and I don't think we have the players to do this. I would also disagree that the 4-4-2 currently being played at home is a defensive formation as what appears to be happening is that we are trying to plat 2 wide men in Hayes and Eagles and two in the middle. What is happening is that other teams suss this out and we get overun in central midfield.

I think a team should change its formation according to who you're playing - even Man Utd do this. But I also don't think we've got the players for 4-3-3. Who would feed the front players when we've no passing midfielders? Hayes you've got in midfield, when he would be better placed as one of the front three. You also have a sitting front three, rather than (at least) one of them playing wide. If Hayes is to be the wide player then that's 4-2-4, but again top heavy with little width down one side and no passing midfielder.

I think a team should change its formation according to who you're playing - even Man Utd do this. But I also don't think we've got the players for 4-3-3. Who would feed the front players when we've no passing midfielders? Hayes you've got in midfield, when he would be better placed as one of the front three. You also have a sitting front three, rather than (at least) one of them playing wide. If Hayes is to be the wide player then that's 4-2-4, but again top heavy with little width down one side and no passing midfielder.

Have you had a chance to see Hayes playing in the flesh yet Chris? I think he'd maybe be a little wasted as a striker, because one of his great strengths is picking the ball up deep - sometimes in his own half on the counter - and using his pace to beat the holding midfield and defence. If he was played too far forward we might lose some of the impact of that, and it's been our most effective weapon this season, away from home at least.

I like the sound of Jay's team - we need to try to find some formation where Sanchez can pulll the strings in an advanced midfield position.

I like the sound of Jay's team - we need to try to find some formation where Sanchez can pulll the strings in an advanced midfield position.

What about the formation that becoming quite popular in South America, the 4-1-3-2? By using that, Cox could be the holding midfielder, with Sanchez further forward in between probably Hayes and Imrie. I could also mean he could go further forward in attack.

What about the formation that becoming quite popular in South America, the 4-1-3-2? By using that, Cox could be the holding midfielder, with Sanchez further forward in between probably Hayes and Imrie. I could also mean he could go further forward in attack.

Why Cox in the middle? He has been posted virtually missing since the 2-2 draw with Dundee. McBain will at least work his socks off, break down attacks and can pass a ball to a player with the same shirt he's wearing.

Have you had a chance to see Hayes playing in the flesh yet Chris?

Just thought I'd quickly say yes. I was in the Highlands late Jul til early Sep on a contract. Unfortunately now, only get the occasional BBC Alba of ICT (but still get the SPL matches - obviously no ICT there).

Why Cox in the middle? He has been posted virtually missing since the 2-2 draw with Dundee. McBain will at least work his socks off, break down attacks and can pass a ball to a player with the same shirt he's wearing.

Correct !

Have you had a chance to see Hayes playing in the flesh yet Chris? I think he'd maybe be a little wasted as a striker, because one of his great strengths is picking the ball up deep - sometimes in his own half on the counter - and using his pace to beat the holding midfield and defence. If he was played too far forward we might lose some of the impact of that, and it's been our most effective weapon this season, away from home at least.

I too like the sound of Jay's team. Tokely stated last night that Sanchez' English is coming on and talked about his performance in the second half of the Raith game. There have been quite a few posters on here talking about Barrowman coming good (myself included). On the other hand I'm actually hopeful that it's going to be Sanchez who proves to be the best signing by the gaffer.

I would like to see us play with three strikers at home, but i don't think we have a good enough backline to make this happen. You dont get enough width with the 4-3-3, and thats what we are good at is getting the ball wide to Hayes and him beating his man and getting the ball into the box.