FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Style of play

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

I was watching Tottenham v Stevenage in the FA Cup 5th Round replay this evening and was very impressed with the way Stevenage played, despite losing the tie 3-1.

There was not one ball lumped up to their lone striker, everything was played on the deck, even the full backs played the ball on the deck, even with 10-15 mins left when normally, teams will look to get back into the game and start lumping balls into the box in desperation, Stevenage did not, they still played on the deck.

So, imho, Caley should try and copy their style of play, it was very good on the eye, if anyone wants to watch a re-run of this tie, it is on ESPN (Sky channel 442) tomorrow morning at 0900.

Thoughts?

I watched the football debate last night and the way forward was .... play football on the deck and have a team of home grown players BUT be prepared to enjoy the football skills of your team when they lose the game to less talented players as winning is NOT the prime factor, entertainment is.

Our football was so much more entertaining to watch in those wonderful Pele days. The big hoof doesn't do it for me no matter who's playing. Our current squad does not have the players (or skills) for the long ball game, that has been very clear to see but we still seem to persist with it.

• Agree 1

9 out of 10 long balls, on Monday night at least, came out of defence. By one calculation this was the 72nd defensive permutation we've adopted this season. Little wonder then that players would prefer to belt the ball away from the danger zone than trust the stranger to your left or right. Tade seemed to be the 'target' but if that was the case I wouldn't mind playing some of our defenders at darts! Tokely's been playing the same ball to the same non-existent Inside Right all his career. It will never change.

But what about the simple ball to the feet of a midfield player who can turn and work the ball through the middle of the park?

When we went 2 down we had a genuinely impressive 10 minute period when we actually strung a few passes together, found dangerous shooting opportunities, and rattled the United support awake. (This period came about right after the introduction of Gnapka although it was more likely because United simply went to sleep on their lead.)

We need a genuine goal-scorer. Someone who can take the opportunities when they do come, someone who can read defenders well enough to find dangerous positions when the midfield are in possession, someone who will tie up 2 defenders, hold the ball up and bring out the creative instincts in 2 or 3 players who are capable of playing balls into dangerous areas on the deck.

The defence can only do what they are capable of. And that's now apparent.

The 'attack' is only as good as what it's being fed.

Our midfield is my biggest disappointment. When I think of previous formations that functioned as a genuine unit I do begin to wonder at some of the coaching that has reduced it to a group of individuals in search of a formation.

You watch ANY top team (who are usually pleasing to watch if nothing else) they play the majority of the game on the deck. I was watching the Scottish football debate progs at the start of the week, and the general consensus was that the long ball game is dead almost everywhere......apart from Scotland. And they are right. Long ball is usefull as a tactic to try change a game, but not as an entire game plan.

Just look at the likes of Swansea and what can be achieved by sticking to a system and core players trying to pass the ball at every opportunity. When you have a system you should sign players who can fit in to it or get players to adapt by playing them consistently in that role. To be fair to Terry he has tried to be innovative at times but we have some players who simply do not have the prowess to adapt.