FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Bayne

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

I just feel that I have to say a few things on behalf of Graham Bayne. He appears to be the latest in line for more than his fair share of criticism and/or negative comments. It would appear that all of a sudden Bayne is not up to playing in the SPL, is the proverbial "donkey", is a liability due to his over agressive approach and is good enuff for late substitute apppearances only.  :024:

Bayne is 100% committed to ICT - he has his red mists - he looks awkward and may not be the most naturally talented of individuals. But remember the early days of the SPL when he ploughed a lone furrow away from home and was probably one of the main reasons that we survived the first season. I thought that he had a fine game recently at Ibrox and he appears to be suffering badly from the constant Niculae comparisons and his particular performance in the Muvversmell debacle.

Personally I would play Bayne from the start in the away fixtures - He is mobile; he can run daft fer 90 minutes; he keeps defenders on their toes; he is quite useful in the air and he CAN hold up the ball well. He may not have the sublime touch but he can score goals as well. Another Local Hero who is being wronged - give the lad a deserved break - Merry Xmas Mr Bayne and I sincerely hope that you will be part of the scheme of things for a few more years yet.

I have always liked Baynes fully committed style, but sometimes that is not enough.  on Saturday Marius was not having the best of games, not through his own lack of quality, but more to do with the way ICT played the game.  He was totally isolated on numerous occasions and Bayne is the best at being in that position for us as he is well used to it from our Pittodrie days.  Unfortunately the refs have sussed out his arms first style and this nullifies his aggressive play right away as he was booked a few minutes after coming on last weekend.  look at the Well game, booked then red carded for doing what he does best, jumping into people and late lunges.  He is handy at times but needs to be used in the right situations, for me Marius has the edge whether it be home or away, but Bayne coming on and having a real go at tiring defences can and will turn games.  Saturday was the least productive display I have seen from Marius, although the penalty will do nicely, but I thought he would be hooked after an hour. Still, we went for it and pushed Bayne into his position and it paid off.  Horses for courses, both players have a big part to play in this phenomenon lets not compare them because they are totally different footballers.

To answer the original question.......... :021: to Bayne.............and :021: to Marius.

Bayne's running, passion and commitment have never been in doubt but people have rightly expressed concern about his touch and finishing. He's also got a reputation as 'headless chicken' which suggests that he runs all over the place but not into the right places. This side of Bayne's game has definitely improved and can only improve with Brew as his tutor. He won me over around this time last year when he played a couple of games with Wyness and linked really well with him. He doesn't score many goals but has a great habit of getting really important ones. Bayne hasn't been fully fit all season but now he is and he shows so much hunger when he comes off the bench.

Brew has a big decision to make on Wednesday.

IMO Niculae & Bayne can draw parallels to the Tottenham frontline (bare with me)

Niculae could be compared to Berbatov with his; reading of the game, excellent control, elegance on the ball and sometimes lethargic appearance..... Bayne is a similar type player to Darren Bent, he is more mobile can run the channels and hassle defenders for 90 mins but ultimately most goals will come down to the defender making a mistake rather than his individual genius.

both players have plenty to offer

Now we just need a Robbie Keane and Defoe

I am a big admirer of Bayne, he's unselfish, hardworking and plays for the team.

However, he has been under par this season, perhaps he thought he'd finally get a proper place when Dargo left, he has strutted about the park at times looking uninterested. He came on against Celtic when our defence needed an outlet, but if the ball wasn't played directly to him, I don't think I once saw Bayne close down a celtic player, giving him time to build the next celtic attack.

I would however point out that people that say Bayne can't finish, look at his diving header against Aberdeen, his looping headers v Celtic, his lovely finish yesterday.

Amazingly I find myself agreeing in part with IHE!!  I don't know if we should be starting Bayne away from home instead of Marius but thats a another matter. 

I think Bayne was really good last season and proved that he was a decent SPL striker.  I mean people go on about Lee Miller and they are similar players.  I would have thought Graham scored similar or more goals than him last season.

In Marius we obviously have a more classy player with a much better touch and vision.  But that doesn't mean Graham is sh1t,  he's still a good SPL player and has proved that with important goals for us in the past.

I speak from the streets dude.  :sillywave: And that is the kind of topic that is discussed at the games and evidently hs aroused some intelligent discourse and debate - apart from the two grinches. Read between the lines peeple and read my post again.  :blah01:

He does get the odd headless chicken thrown in his direction, no more than he deserves sometimes, but

Graham Bayne is a headless chicken

every team has headless chickens. I may have used the term myself in reference to his late lung bursting

Marius is great

runs and lunges and I was less than pleased with him at the Well game, but overall I always have

Brewster is magic

supported him and his rumbustuous style.  His ball control is not always the best but you know what you

so is Black

get when Bayne is playing and he does unsettle defenders.  Maybe IHE is referring to people always

but please

chosing Marius over Bayne.  Freedom of typing.  Thoroughbread or cart horse, it's Brews choice but they

before replying

both bring something to the stable.

read between the lines

Oh, and read between the lines please

I've read pretty negative stuff about Bayne in the past on this forum but no one can doubt his effort and committment. He always gives 100% and you can't ask for any more from any player  :003:

Johndo...last time someone read between the lines on one of your posts you landed in moderation  :015:

You've admitted above that the berating of Bayne that you refer to is not on these forums and on that basis their is little evidence to support or deny your claim.  Maybe your trying to create this imaginary wave of negativity in respect of Bayne in the hope that it has a similar effect on his performances as it had on Niculae???

These forums are most certainly for views and debate...your of the view that Bayne has been getting unfair criticism lately and I find that debatable.  :001:

cant say i've ever heard bayne singled out for unfair criticism on a scale any player wouldn't be used to at some point at least. everyone appreciates his hard working no nonsence style and rates him pretty highly on the whole imo. dont think he lacks ability either, the guy scores all sorts of goals and is a major player for us.  you started on the christmas spirits already then ihe ?

I actually think IHE is in tune with some of the nonsense I've heard about Bayne recently.  The more we've been playing it on the deck the more the comments on his style have started to change, with some even going as far as BLAMING him for playing long balls forward!

I have to support IHE's pre-emptive strike on Baynes future critics.  He's proven loads of times now he can finish and play football, he is intelligent with the ball and adds an edge to our game that we sometimes lack.

As it happens I thought he was quieter than usual coming on v Hearts and if he hadnt struck the final shot so sweetly then the comments on this site wouldve had a totally different tone, the pass he made to open up Barry on the right wouldve been forgotten, in that position Nicolae wouldve take it for a shot on his left foot (hich would still have probably gone in now I think of it!)

Well I have arrived with my array of (possibly useless) facts, to prove you all wrong that Bayne should be a regular starter. mwa ha.

Including win over Hearts, there are 6 ICT first team members with a better strike rate than Bayne:

Dennis Wyness, 101 goals in 228 games (a goal every 2.26)

Craig Brewster, 11 goals in 33 games (a goal every 3)

Don Cowie, 5 goals in 20 games (a goal every 4)

Barry Wilson, 81 goals in 326 games (a goal every 4.02)

Marius Niculae, 4 goals in 18 games (a goal every 4.5)

Markus Paatelainen, 2 goals in 7 games (a goal every 4.5)

Then comes Graham with 20 goals in 118 games, averaging a goal every 5.9, just ahead of John Rankin (8 in 49, averaging goal every 6.13)

I know there is a lot more to Graham's game than scoring goals, but do we really want a striker who only hits the back of the net every six games?  :024:If he played every game in an SPL season that would be a return of 6 goals for the season. :018: Hardly the record of a striker for a top six which is where ICT want to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Graham cleared things up for us in yesterday's papers by insisting that that he's a donkey, not a chicken. Straight from the horse’s mouth:

"Marius really benefited from having someone doing the donkey work for him against Killie.

"I don't care if I have to do a lot of the spadework, especially if we win 3-1".

Bayne was also dishing out loads of praise for Marius and says the goals will come:

"It was the same with Craig Dargo when he was here. He struggled to score initially and then went on to hit an absolute barrow load for us."

With all this talk of donkeys and barrow loads, i just hope he manages to keep his feet on the ground.

donkey.jpg