FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Stewarding Incidents NEVER get resolved

Joonya

Going on about stewarding incidents at TCS over recent matches, I must say that a stewarding incident involving my partners wee boy has STILL not been resolved, and this happened at Love Street on the final day of last season...

Wee Marc is my partners 7 year old disabled son, and he was happy as larry sitting in his seat behind the goals, cheering on ICT.

With his feet on the back of the chair, lounged back for about 70 minutes of the match, he was not doing himself, or other around him, any harm at all.

We then saw a steward stomp from the bottom of the stand to our seats 2/3rds of the way up, and proceed to shout and point at Marc ONLY for his feet on the chair.

There WERE other people - grown adults, youths and pensioners - doing EXACTLY THE SAME and not causing disruption to anyone, who WERE NOT told off.

My fellow Highland Marchers, other fans around us, myself and my partner were stunned!!! The steward did not explain his actions and Marc was devistated. He balled his eyes out until he had a mcdonalds at Perth...

I contacted St Mirren:-

3 times by e-mail

2 times by Phone

twice more by e-mail

and once more by phone before getting a responce.

The responce was vaigue and unhelpful to say the least - and that was WITH the threat of going further!!!

It took more correspondence between ourselves and St Mirren, Derek Kirkwood of the SFA and Mike Smith at ICT (who was the only helpful assist we had belive it or not) to get anywhere.

Finally, a Kenneth McGeogh from St Mirren invited me for a chat before this seasons tie at love street to explain St Mirrens stance. I could not make that ficture, sent a responce blah blah blah and that was the last correspondence!!!

The stewarding STILL hasnt been explained by anyone and to top it off - All we wanted was a hand written apology addressed to Marc - That was it, nearly 4 months ago!!!

As I said my "complaint" was actually responded too very quickly and courteously but died a death after that. I still suggest that any incident involving stewards is passed on to the Supporters Club and/or the Trust. They then issue an official formal written statement to the club. citing the names and contact numbers of any individuals involved. They inform the club that they are going to stick the statement on the web site, with any names and contact details being anonimised, and ask the club to reply to the individuals and to allow the "complainants" to update this site in regard to the actions being taken and the feedback from the club.

Like Marc I too was distraught and only felt better when I collapsed on the Innes bar.  :001:

I am also considering starting off a movement called Campaign Usurping Narcisstic Troublesome Stewards.

Guest Number1HS

I have just been reading over this topic, and i would like to say that the thing's do get sorted, just because you don't see it, it does not mean anything is not getting done.

I had a problem like this in the Past down at Ibrox but it did get resolved but it took almost two months for the companies to get back to me.

Also People there is a reason that the steward's are there and that is for public safety, and if you do not follow the ground rules of the stadium you will be punished by these people. What you have to remember is that there is some nice ones out there who understand the situations. Also just to remind you, Caley and the rest are SPL club where rules are harder and not a Highland League club where anything goes.  :024:

Yes there are rules that must be followed, however it is how the stewards deal with situations that are causing the problems.  A 7 year old disabled boy should not be shouted at orupset in any way by a grown adult who should knw better.  Stewards can go about their duties without having to adopt the little Hitler act.  Stewards only make a hard job even harder for thereselves.

Finally, a Kenneth McGeogh from St Mirren invited me for a chat before this seasons tie at love street to explain St Mirrens stance. I could not make that ficture, sent a responce blah blah blah and that was the last correspondence!!!

The stewarding STILL hasnt been explained by anyone and to top it off - All we wanted was a hand written apology addressed to Marc - That was it, nearly 4 months ago!!!

Sounds like some people have tried to help you Jnr so fair play to at least those. Keep 9th February 2008 free in your diary, as thats the next game at Love Street. A week or two before the game, contact this guy again via email and send copies to those who helped you before, and then speak to him face to face at the game.

Before you go, think of all the possible excuses he can give you such as "well Marc DID have his feet on the seats" and figure out how you will politely yet firmly answer those excuses [for example - "whilst Marc may have had his feet on the seats, so did others around him, and yet this steward thought to single out and bellow at a 7 year old disabled boy who was devasted and didnt stop crying until we were in Perth on the way home. Do YOU think that is an appropriate reaction to a child by someone in your employ .....?"].

Do this and you just might get an apology. However, think it out before hand and resist every temptation to get all hot under the collar or confrontational or any apology wont happen.

Agree with GJ.

The best stewards are those who can get a bit of banter with punters and actually do their job - which plenty of them do - without feeling so insecure that they have to try and exert the power they perceive they are in possession of !

There is no excuse for treating a 7 year old child this way, as the steward should have spoken to Jnr or CCC or whoever was accompanying the lad. He might not have been supposed to have had his feet up but its hardly a hanging offence !

I still feel that each steward should have his/her number- IN LARGE PRINT -  so that on here we can identify the bad ones, so that there is no doubt as to who is the jobs worth.

This will create two things 1) we will be able to collectively identify them and 2) the employer will be able to take action against that particular person.

1) is difficult without a number because wee/ fat/ugly is in the eye of the beholder and their Mam thinks they are beautiful!

2) the broad-brush pre/post match talk-in they have(?), can be personalised  to, 'number 7. you are the biggest wally, your fired!!'

If the same number is used for the same person each week, it will be difficult for any steward to hide behind the uniform, long term. 

The stewards themselves  can also play a part ..... a lot of them are decent enough and capable of doing their jobs without it turning into a confrontation every week. Politeness and banter go a long way. However, like anything else in life, there's a few bad apples that taint them all. They know which ones are the "little hitlers" so why not just highlight that to their bosses, or have a word in their shell-like .... after all, these are the guys that are making it more difficult for them to do their own job !

I think, Scotty, it is called - human nature - don't rat on your work mate. I agree that it would be easily solved if that did happen but little chance, I'm afraid!

Am I not correct in thinking that a 'large' section of the singers stood up at the Dundee United match, last Saturday and I did not see them getting harassed, but then again I was watching the match and an animated manager doing what he is paid to do - run the show from the sidelines.  Our fellow(s)? I think they were in hiding!

Guest Number1HS

Yeah i agree with all the comment above, but if i am not mistaken the stewards do have ID badges on there jackets on the right, and all the supervisors have ID badges with names, and Numbers with a Photo. Also If People ask they have to give the Information that the person requires.

Yes in every company they all have people like that too, so it not if this is a new thing.

I think, Scotty, it is called - human nature - don't rat on your work mate.

yeah, thats why i added another alternative ..... have a word in their ear yourself.  (although it seems my edit didnt appear !!! sorted now)

If the same person was making my job harder each week by being a prat, I would certainly "have words". If he/she continued then I would probably discuss it with other workmates and suggest that a few of us have words with them next time so they can see what they are doing is affecting others. If they are so arrogant as not to listen to the unofficial approaches then sorry, its down the official route after that.

One thing I missed from my original post is that although the steward decided not to answer any of us, I spoke to the 'chief steward' at the back of the stand, who said (and I quote)

"well, the police would have told him to"

Hmmm... very likely I'm sure. To me there is no excuses for singling out a 7 year old disabled child.

I have already responded to Kenneth McGeogh of St Mirren and stated I will send him details of what happened. I just dont see how a written apology is too much to ask!!!

I fully understand stewards are there for 'customer safety' etc etc, but they must start to recognise those who are there to support their team, and those to cause trouble.

I still feel that each steward should have his/her number- IN LARGE PRINT -  so that on here we can identify the bad ones, so that there is no doubt as to who is the jobs worth.

This will create two things 1) we will be able to collectively identify them and 2) the employer will be able to take action against that particular person.

1) is difficult without a number because wee/ fat/ugly is in the eye of the beholder and their Mam thinks they are beautiful!

2) the broad-brush pre/post match talk-in they have(?), can be personalised  to, 'number 7. you are the biggest wally, your fired!!'

If the same number is used for the same person each week, it will be difficult for any steward to hide behind the uniform, long term. 

Never mind the numbers in large print

Get them to put targets on them instead :rotflmao: