FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Who should be in goals on Saturday?

Yngwie

Keeper v Hibs  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think should be in goals against Hibs?

• Fraser
    • Esson

I'm really torn. Fraser had a mare v Rangers, but it would be good man management for Brew to give him a chance to redeem himself and I'm sure Fraser's very determined to do better this week. He's made howlers in the past and came back stronger.

But after much thought I would give Esson a chance. On a long losing run something has to be changed, and it would also send a message to our other underperformers that nobody's position is guaranteed.

I'm really torn. Fraser had a mare v Rangers, but it would be good man management for Brew to give him a chance to redeem himself and I'm sure Fraser's very determined to do better this week. He's made howlers in the past and came back stronger.

But after much thought I would give Esson a chance. On a long losing run something has to be changed, and it would also send a message to our other underperformers that nobody's position is guaranteed.

Still think Fraser is the better keeper, and our number 1, however, the situation was similar after the Kilmarnock fiasco last year. Fraser got dropped for one game, and from then on in his form really picked up.

I think it's Jim Spence that raves about Fraser, rates him very highly. Hit the nail on the head a few months back when he said Fraser's biggest asset was his terrific athleticism.

The reason goalkeepers dont peak until they are older then other footballers is that the number one asset for a keeper is experience. Fraser has raw talent (more than Brown did if you ask me.) What he needs to work on are things like positional sense, when not to come for a cross, keeping concentration for the full 90, distributng the ball better etc. These things will come with time.

All professional footballers should be good athletes.

Thing is with Fraser, do we have time to allow him to gain experience while making mistakes along the way? we cant afford any more slip ups from not only Fraser but the whole team.

After last week's performance, no-one's position is guaranteed and some players perhaps need the proverbial kick in the chuckies to make them waken up. MF may be one of them.

I've not seen Esson in a competitive match so cant really judge him but, considering he has a great deal more experience than Mike, I cant see him being a better keeper. If he was would he be signing as No 2 for us.

I think it would be unfair to punish Mike on saturdays performance and it would be a bad hit to his confidence if he was made the scapegoat for that disaster. Drop Mike then I suggest you drop the other ten who started that day.

Not saying that Esson shouldnt get a start on saturday but what do we do if he drops a clanger, drop him the following week as well

Ike is potentially a good keeper I dont think he is quite there yet but as somebody said on a previous thread keepers get better with age, if we are just saying he should be dropped on last weeks performance then the whole off the defence deserves to be dropped.

I've not seen Esson in a competitive match so cant really judge him but, considering he has a great deal more experience than Mike, I cant see him being a better keeper. If he was would he be signing as No 2 for us.

I think it would be unfair to punish Mike on saturdays performance and it would be a bad hit to his confidence if he was made the scapegoat for that disaster. Drop Mike then I suggest you drop the other ten who started that day.

Alex you beat me to it

I think ryan esson should be given a chance. I first watched him at the barry wilson testimonial and i was impressed with him. I think that he has got potential. Brewster has stuck with fraser for too long. Frasers problem is that he is very inconsistant.

How many times have you actually watched fraser play this season? I have watched him plenty and to suggest last saturday was a one off is nonsense.There have been plenty of other games he has cost us this season . What is the point in having competition for places if you are not punished for poor performances. Regarding what i have read in an earlier post about Michael being a great athlete,what great athlete would be out in the city centre on tuesday night drinking along with several of his teamates. That sums up how much last saturdays defeat hurt them and the lack of disciplne being imposed by our management team.

Not saying that Esson shouldnt get a start on saturday but what do we do if he drops a clanger, drop him the following week as wellIke is potentially a good keeper I dont think he is quite there yet but as somebody said on a previous thread keepers get better with age, if we are just saying he should be dropped on last weeks performance then the whole off the defence deserves to be dropped.

Alex you beat me to it

Why not? As someone else pointed out, Fraser had an awful game against Killie last season (I was there - watched him manage to throw ball off his own post and then knee it in for an OG within 30 seconds of the game starting, and it didn't get any better), then was dropped for the following game. Malkowski came in for one game against Aberdeen and achieved the well-nigh impossible of being even more howling than Fraser had been the previous week. Fraser came straight back in and was pretty solid for the rest of the season. Now, I'm not saying we should put Esson in and hope he plays badly against Hibs, but the point is, it might do Fraser no harm to be dropped for one game. If Esson performs well, he keeps the position for the next game. If he's pish, we put Fraser back in and hope it's given him a wake-up call.

No player is indispensable - what I can't understand this season is why Brewster drops players after they've had good games.

I've only seen one game this season so far, but from what I've read, it seems the time is right to give Fraser a rest. If indeed Essen does get the nod on Saturday, I hope he is given a decent run in the first team. Not dropped after one game as Zibi was last year!

It was a disgrace that Zibi was dropped last year.

Not saying that Esson shouldnt get a start on saturday but what do we do if he drops a clanger, drop him the following week as wellIke is potentially a good keeper I dont think he is quite there yet but as somebody said on a previous thread keepers get better with age, if we are just saying he should be dropped on last weeks performance then the whole off the defence deserves to be dropped.

Alex you beat me to it

Why not? As someone else pointed out, Fraser had an awful game against Killie last season (I was there - watched him manage to throw ball off his own post and then knee it in for an OG within 30 seconds of the game starting, and it didn't get any better), then was dropped for the following game. Malkowski came in for one game against Aberdeen and achieved the well-nigh impossible of being even more howling than Fraser had been the previous week. Fraser came straight back in and was pretty solid for the rest of the season. Now, I'm not saying we should put Esson in and hope he plays badly against Hibs, but the point is, it might do Fraser no harm to be dropped for one game. If Esson performs well, he keeps the position for the next game. If he's pish, we put Fraser back in and hope it's given him a wake-up call.

No player is indispensable - what I can't understand this season is why Brewster drops players after they've had good games.

Like I said I am not against Ike been dropped to be honest I am a bit torn on this one, what I dont agree with is him taking all the rap for Sat

A good goal keeper should be in command of his penalty area and should be shouting instrutions to his defenders at the top of his voice. My seat in the Nother Stand is close behind the goal and I seldom hear Mikey shouting at his defence. I think our defence are at sixes and sevens if they do not have confidence in the goalie and I think that is part of our problem. As has been said, we have not seen enough of Esson in competitive games to judge his ability in comparisson to Fraser but with his experience with Aberdeen I feel he would bring some confidence back to our defence and hope that CB gives him the chance on Saturday.

A good goal keeper should be in command of his penalty area and should be shouting instrutions to his defenders at the top of his voice. My seat in the Nother Stand is close behind the goal and I seldom hear Mikey shouting at his defence. I think our defence are at sixes and sevens if they do not have confidence in the goalie and I think that is part of our problem. As has been said, we have not seen enough of Esson in competitive games to judge his ability in comparisson to Fraser but with his experience with Aberdeen I feel he would bring some confidence back to our defence and hope that CB gives him the chance on Saturday.

To be fair to Fraser, Brown wasn't a great shouter or a commander of the penalty area either; Brown's biggest assets were Mann and Dods, whilst Fraser is now without a player of that ilk *and* without the benefit of learning from someone who could marshal the defence.

However, his form - not just the game at Ibrox but his form - has been terrible recently. The last three times I've seen him play, he makes our back four far more nervous than anything running at them with the ball. There is no way on earth that he should have started against the Gers - good man management to play a keeper who's making mistakes and at odds with the defence? I can't agree. Drop him and let him find the form in the reserves rather than play dice with the club's future. Oops, I forgot, that's Brew's favourite game.

A good goalie instills confidence in the back 4 and the back four looked at ease in the last cup game.

Its not about looking for a scapegoat its about getting the best out of players in the short and long term.

Esson was a good goalie for the Dons, no harm in seeing how the team performs with him in goals in the Spl.