• Katherine Grainger
    • Chris Hoy
    • Rory McIlroy
    • Andy Murray
    • Ellie Simmonds
    • Sarah Storey
    • David Weir
    • Bradley Wiggins

Likewise, spent a day getting pissed at Headingley v West Indies. Test cricket is incredibly dull and slow, but the old Western Terrace banter was good.

One very memorable moment :  sitting next to me was a buxom and not-unattractive young lady, never met her before, but she turns and says "Do you think I should do a streak? I've always wanted to."

It was inevitable that if she did it she'd be caught and arrested. So I gave the same advice any sensible man would and said "Course you bloody should, you'll never get a better chance! Here, let me help...." And off she went, starkers, and got half way to the wicket before being rugby tackled by a steward. 

I'd like to say I ended up marrying her, but alas I never saw her again, and she never even came back for her knickers.

• Agree 6

And no chauvinism intended!

I did a bit of research on this and one recurring theme was that cricket is easier for the batsman but harder for the bowler. Surprisingly harmonious discussions. Never found any fighter planes or tricycles mentioned though!

Likewise, spent a day getting pissed at Headingley v West Indies. Test cricket is incredibly dull and slow, but the old Western Terrace banter was good.

One very memorable moment :  sitting next to me was a buxom and not-unattractive young lady, never met her before, but she turns and says "Do you think I should do a streak? I've always wanted to."

It was inevitable that if she did it she'd be caught and arrested. So I gave the same advice any sensible man would and said "Course you bloody should, you'll never get a better chance! Here, let me help...." And off she went, starkers, and got half way to the wicket before being rugby tackled by a steward. 

I'd like to say I ended up marrying her, but alas I never saw her again, and she never even came back for her knickers.

Possibly the only thing I've ever read that comes close to enticing me anywhere near a cricket ground. I know Laurence and other cricket types will be shaking their heads knowingly muttering" they just don't understand" and playing it may have some merit but spectating Cricket! ......Really?

• Agree 1

Because it can't be played in rain, or snow, or wind, or poor light, or rough grass, or any other conditions you will find in Scotland!

Can't be played in Scotland

Did I give my donation to the Elgin Cricket Club, at the ICT car boot sale by mistake?

Or was the game I watched over Elgin way an aparation?

Edited by Laurence

Pardon me for asking the obvious but how did this thread become a Laurence cricket thread?

Alex - Pardon granted –

It was because if you must know that  I suggested that Alistair Cook the England cricket captain, who recently passed the number of centuries scored by any other England cricketer throughout history, would in my view be a strong competitor, for the award next year. My suggestion sparked off a tirade by people who don't like cricket, having a go at me, and at the sport. Quite unfounded I thought.

It appears that if a suggestion on this forum that is outside the main stream of thought, it attracts a sort of lynch mentality of abuse.

Not unexpected I feel , maybe I’ll learn one day to keep my ideas to myself, the amount of time and effort  I use to explain my reasons is beginning to take it’s toll.

Prejudice at this level is difficult to endure

Can't call myself a cricket fan but I have been to a few test matches when I lived in Englandshire. All I can say was they were ok but nothing special then a few years ago I went to the Boxing Day test in Melbourne as part of a stag weekend. Was one of those great days out (like going to one of the Rugby7s tournaments) but can't remember much about the cricket. Have to agree though it is one of those sports best enjoyed with a few cold ones....but somewhere warm....