FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Inverness CT sign Stuart Duff

caleyrule

Pointless signing IMO

Don't quite agree with you there. I've heard this was only a short term deal 6 months - end of the season type arrangement just to provide some cover for injuries and suspensions.

Pointless signing IMO

Don't quite agree with you there. I've heard this was only a short term deal 6 months - end of the season type arrangement just to provide some cover for injuries and suspensions.

In agreement with RiG, McCann is out so we need cover at right back and if Cox and Duncan get injured we don't have many options in centre mid, sensible signing.

From what I was hearing yesterday this was only a short term deal. Any news on the length of contract caleyrule?

I believe (nothing confirmend yet) its a 6 month deal with an option of another 6/18 months depending on how things go etc but i will see if i can get any more information

Also he will start tonight v Rothes

Whilst I agree it's bolstering a small squad I can't help but feel it's a case of quantity over quality.

If we need cover for injuries & suspension why not play one of the young guys? It's one way to find out if they can cut it. Signing a very average player like Duff just suggests (to me anyway) that our management team don't think they are good enough (maybe they aren't of course!)

We have a pretty decent first eleven but beyond that we are struggling. If are chasing a game with 20 minutes to go you aren't going to bring on players like Duff to change the game.

I don't expect many people to agree with me but it just seems to be a safe, predictable signing that offers us nothing different when that's what we are really needing.

Whilst I agree it's bolstering a small squad I can't help but feel it's a case of quantity over quality.

If we need cover for injuries & suspension why not play one of the young guys? It's one way to find out if they can cut it. Signing a very average player like Duff just suggests (to me anyway) that our management team don't think they are good enough (maybe they aren't of course!)

We have a pretty decent first eleven but beyond that we are struggling. If are chasing a game with 20 minutes to go you aren't going to bring on players like Duff to change the game.

I don't expect many people to agree with me but it just seems to be a safe, predictable signing that offers us nothing different when that's what we are really needing.

We are very short of youngsters as well, and need to compete in the U-21 league, so to expect them to also play for first team may be to much pressure.

I agree with Kencar. I have often wondered during games when things arent going our way, who is on our bench to change a game?

Duff isnt going to be that man, but it probably a sensible signing while we have injuries. He wasnt bad for the games he did play for us.

I'm pleased at this. For me, he's best as an attacking midfielder, average at right-back, terrible in central defence and not bad (better than either Duncan or Cox) in central mid. A good utility player makes the squad that much bigger. When he was played in that advance position with Aberdeen, I always thought he looked a real player. It only started going wrong when he was moved to central defence and right-back (wasn't the worst I've ever seen there but not top 6 quality).

It's fine seeing if the young players can make the step up but, if they can't, then we're back down to Division One with a few injuries. Needs a balance and I think Stuart is ideal for that.

I'm pleased at this. For me, he's best as an attacking midfielder, average at right-back, terrible in central defence and not bad (better than either Duncan or Cox) in central mid. A good utility player makes the squad that much bigger. When he was played in that advance position with Aberdeen, I always thought he looked a real player. It only started going wrong when he was moved to central defence and right-back (wasn't the worst I've ever seen there but not top 6 quality).

It's fine seeing if the young players can make the step up but, if they can't, then we're back down to Division One with a few injuries. Needs a balance and I think Stuart is ideal for that.

I agree with most of this but I think you're a little harsh on Cox tbh. He started last season very well, faded a little in the middle then came on to a great game towards the end of the season, and he's only played three games in the SPL. Added to that, he's only around 20, so can be expected to improve and impose himself more on games with more experience at this level.

Re. Duff, I don't think he will add a great deal in terms of flair, but his experience and versatility must be a good thing when we're a little short on depth, and one thing even Utd and Aberdeen supporters who don't rate him agree on is that he is absolutely committed on the pitch.

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 1

A tidy player IMHO but nothing to get the juices flowing I'm afraid. Wasn't it Duff who turned us down because he didn't want to commute etc?. Is the distance shorter now that no one else wants him? If we are not good enough before then he is not good enough now!!!!!!!!! :annoyed:

But we were talking a very short term deal there, then returning to Aberdeen. Now, it's a deal that offers the chance to become long-term, so allows him a more structured life. Would you commute for 4 hours, when your employer told you you would still be allowed to work from home instead and suggested he may well keep you on when your contract runs out? It wasn't the club he disliked, it was the deal offered. This deal is a different animal to a short-term loan.

BTW, I wasn't having a go at Cox. I rate Duff higher than most. In an attacking midfield position, I rate him a top 6 player, although I know most fans (and managers) will disagree with me.

His signing fairly adds a fair bit of competition to the midfield and sitting in behind Rooney. I can see him being played infront of Cox and Duncan and passing out to Rooney Hayes and Foran, if we sit back more like Hamilton and let our forward 3 do the attacking, he needs finishers in front of him though as he is more likely to pass than shoot but at least the quality of pass should be good to the front 3.

Hes also got a point to prove against the clubs that didnt take him on so that should be entertaining.

good signing who will add depth to our squad however i think Terry should maybe look at trying to strengthen our attacking options. Given the current situation where so many footballers find themselves without clubs i hope we can benefit