FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Pele's New Book

Pele_Is_God

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read it all the through yet, but I'm enjoying it. Very easy to read, and if anyone ever read Midge Ure's book, it's written in a similar style to that. One thing I have learned about Pele that I didn't know before is that I had no idea he was so religious.

Not sure if he's religious, or was just in a place where desperation drives you to seek help/answers wherever you can.

I wouldn't say I was religious, but it's not been unknown for me to ask "God" for a bit of assistance when I've been in a hole....it does no harm, you know, just in case I've got it totally wrong and their is someone listening.

Bums, I've missed all this. Can someone give me details of the Elgin signing so I can start grovelling for my dad to go through?

EDIT: okay, I've just learned to read: Waterstone’s St. Giles Centre, Unit 10-11 High St, Elgin, IV30 1EA at 11.30am

on Saturday 21 November.

Edited by alimci

If there's anyone on here who's likely to be at the signing in Elgin on Saturday and who is coming to Perth on Sunday. Could you get me a copy and I'll meet and pay before the game.

Better make shure that Pele doesnt use the same old invisible ink that he used fer ICT contracts :)

If there's anyone on here who's likely to be at the signing in Elgin on Saturday and who is coming to Perth on Sunday. Could you get me a copy and I'll meet and pay before the game.

Better make shure that Pele doesnt use the same old invisible ink that he used fer ICT contracts :ohmy:

Pele was always a spit and shake guy. Paper was not a strong point.

There's now a 15 minute video interview with him on BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8367075.stm

That's a fantastic interview. I'd only ever really seen Pele speak in after-match interviews, when it was the usual cagey, dour Scottish manager stuff - I'd never realised the extent of the humour and warmth and modesty the guy has. It kind of gave me a shiver when he talked about wishing he could have finished his career at Inverness, like Guy Roux at Auxerre - realistically, it would probably have gone sour at some point, but I still have this dream of us playing fast, recklessly exciting Pele-style football in the SPL.

That's a fantastic interview. I'd only ever really seen Pele speak in after-match interviews, when it was the usual cagey, dour Scottish manager stuff - I'd never realised the extent of the humour and warmth and modesty the guy has. It kind of gave me a shiver when he talked about wishing he could have finished his career at Inverness, like Guy Roux at Auxerre - realistically, it would probably have gone sour at some point, but I still have this dream of us playing fast, recklessly exciting Pele-style football in the SPL.

Totally agree with that. He really is a fascinating character.

I spoke to him briefly during the book launch night at the stadium - thanked him for putting ICT on the football map, and of course for Feb8th2000 - slightly tongue in cheek I asked if he would ever consider coming back here as manager. He gave me a kind of starry eyed look and replied that it would be a dream come true.

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder ??

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder ??

I'll drink to that

Totally agree with that. He really is a fascinating character.

I spoke to him briefly during the book launch night at the stadium - thanked him for putting ICT on the football map, and of course for Feb8th2000 - slightly tongue in cheek I asked if he would ever consider coming back here as manager. He gave me a kind of starry eyed look and replied that it would be a dream come true.

What? You saying he's Feb8th's father?

I met Pele one night last year in an Inverness establishment. He and I were the only two smokers so madetwo or three trips outside and chatted. Even, slightly intoxicated, I found him to be a very down to earth and interesting person.

The only time I ever spoke to him was when I bumped into him when he was buying lottery tickets in Perth, where the team bus stopped for lunch. I made some comment about using any winnings to buy a new striker, but he just looked at me. I never saw whether or not he then crossed the road to the bookies where some of the team were.

I met Pele one night last year in an Inverness establishment. He and I were the only two smokers so madetwo or three trips outside and chatted. Even, slightly intoxicated, I found him to be a very down to earth and interesting person.

He was slightly intoxicated, or you were slightly intoxicated?

He was slightly intoxicated, or you were slightly intoxicated?

:lol::lol:

Great interview, and nice to hear someone being brutally honest about his addictions. Interesting to hear that he would have quite easily stayed until retirement at Inverness. Makes me think that his move to Aberden was all about having more money to feed his habits, although he didnt indicate that.

I for one was certainly welcome him back into the game..I think he would be a great scout.

I think ICT would get some great PR by using him in that role.

I got my copy today in Elgin, he was signing books today, not many folk when i went in, but i got to shake the man by the hand, i smiled at him and said..... you my good man are a Legend!! please come back to the club in some way, and thank you for what you did for us... he smiled at me and said.... "No Comment" and i hope you enjoy my book.... great man!!!

Edited by Georgeios

• 1 month later...

I have just finished it. Quite a book, quite a story. It was very open and frank, and showed the culture of football back then was as far away as you could get today. The Japanese saga was particularly sad...I wonder what would have happened had he not been addicted to gambling? Great book, but difficult to read - no happy ending yet, I hope it is yet to come! Even more my hero now.

• 2 weeks later...

A compelling, honest, account of a troubled life. Unputdownable as has been said.

I had to to cross-check with Broadfoot but I'm sure he got the date wrong when we went top of Div1 for the first time. Mind you, given that he'd slept in and missed the team bus to Falkirk that day it's maybe not surprising his memory is a bit fuzzy. :D

What a waste of talent. William Hill and Arthur Guinness the only winners. This book should be required reading for all Youth players.

With Feb 8 and the memories of that night on the horizon I wish Steve, the man that made it all possible, all the best for the future.