10 Team SPL - Confirmed...

Iain

First of, no decision has been made and therefore no U-turn has been made. All that has come out of todays meeting is that the clubs have agreed that the proposal be studied and that the SPL come back with all the facts and figures that will allow the clubs to make the right decision. How long that takes is anyones guess but it does give the fans more time to make noise and make it known that this could kill off the game by killing off the supporters.

The people at the top have this as their agenda and are failing to listen to the paying public. They are all corrupt including Mr H. McLiesh. Strange how his review came up with the same ideas that were put forward in 2006. The only way we will be listened to is through protest. I sincerely hope the supporters trusts around the country will get together and act on the wishes of their membership. Are we going to just sit back and allow the destruction of the game and the destruction of youth development schemes in order that two clubs in Scotland can make a bit more cash. I, for one, will find this sport, and ultimately my team, become less of an appeal on a saturday afternoon.

• Agree 3

....The only thing that would de-rail it would be mass-fan protest and/or boycotts, starting from tomorrow or the weekend. I'd be happy but surprised to see that, it's a fractious group at best SPL fans.

The SPL have already created a boycott tomorrow by re-arranging the fixture at short notice... :tongueincheek:

OK, so it seems that we have a continued consensus that a 10 team top league is not acceptable to the fans on this thread.....so what do we do about it?

Are people really that outraged that they are willing to step up, take action and be counted or are they just full of hot air and going to do as they always do....sit back and hope that someone else will fight the fight for them?

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

OK, so it seems that we have a continued consensus that a 10 team top league is not acceptable to the fans on this thread.....so what do we do about it?

Are people really that outraged that they are willing to step up, take action and be counted or are they just full of hot air and going to do as they always do....sit back and hope that someone else will fight the fight for them?

Thats the spirit Don....we are great in this country for having a wee mump and moan....without having the gall to get up of our asses and be pro-active!

As far as I'm concerned if this goes through , I stop buying my season tickets for me and the kids. I've bought them since day one but really have better ways to spend my money if this is a vision of the future of our game.

I can't even be bothered going into talking about how bad this is for football in this country because most people know it already, other than our esteemed chairmen it seems.

What do folk suggest. No matter how strongly I personally feel I doubt I would persuade my kids to stop going to matches for instance.I have emailed the club with my views on the subject of reconstruction a couple of weeks ago but I doubt that anyone worried about what I thought. If anyone can come up with a suitable protest I would consider it.

I've just spoken to someone who has more of an insight into what happened at the meeting and they have reassured me that what is being reported in regards to this being a done deal is definitely not the case and nobody has performed any u-turns.

I would fully expect the same scenario to unfold in the next couple of days as happened after the last meeting.....Doncaster comes out saying everyone is in agreement, but as the press catch up with clubs and they make statements it will quickly transpire that nothing really has changed and the whole 10/12 team thing is merely the working committee coming up with another idea and asking for time to formulate it and get back to the them.

"No vote was possible at Monday's gathering, since a formal resolution needs to be put to clubs 14 days beforehand and that had not happened"

I've just spoken to someone who has more of an insight into what happened at the meeting and they have reassured me that what is being reported in regards to this being a done deal is definitely not the case and nobody has performed any u-turns.

I would fully expect the same scenario to unfold in the next couple of days as happened after the last meeting.....Doncaster comes out saying everyone is in agreement, but as the press catch up with clubs and they make statements it will quickly transpire that nothing really has changed and the whole 10/12 team thing is merely the working committee coming up with another idea and asking for time to formulate it and get back to the them.

This was my initial thought, BS from Doncaster.

Hopfully we'll get a statement from the club confirming they've jumped the gun, yet again.

The BBC website has quoted Mr Doncaster as saying that ".....all 12 clubs have agreed to the statement today so hopefully this gives us a mandate to move forward......".

If this is the case, then it seems a fairly significant swing by those clubs that had previously indicated their resistance to the 10 team proposal. If not the case, then it will be another almighty clanger by Mr Doncaster on this subject!

What do folk suggest. No matter how strongly I personally feel I doubt I would persuade my kids to stop going to matches for instance.I have emailed the club with my views on the subject of reconstruction a couple of weeks ago but I doubt that anyone worried about what I thought. If anyone can come up with a suitable protest I would consider it.

Unfortunately I'm offshore for the next few games but I would urge fans of all clubs to start with peaceful protests and banners outside stadiums pre-match. Also banners inside the stadia, especially those that are televised.

The article on SKY seems to indicate that ICT was a lone hold-out !!!

I know that DUFC have softened their stance (Thompson said he was now a neutral and willing to listen), and that the SPL allegedly sent representatives to speak to Romanov, but there is no public indication of a change on the other two who were against the first proposal - Killie and St Mirren.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_6668349,00.html

The SPL issued a statement believing that had 'broad support' from clubs and while Inverness has expressed their disappointment at the plans, Doncaster hopes everyone will be happy once final tweaks are made. The Scottish supremo believes adding play-offs will only add greater interest, which will attract more fans to the game. "I think all 12 clubs were happy with the statement that we put out. There are some details that we need to work through to hopefully ensure all the clubs are happy," he continued.

spot the doublespeak ....

"I think all 12 clubs were happy with the statement that we put out"

"There are some details that we need to work through to hopefully ensure all the clubs are happy"

So which is is Pinocchio ???

We are going to carry this on the front page shortly ... but seems appropriate to put it in here too .....

ICT press release (issued less than an hour ago)

Fourteen folds!

subhead: Caley Jags are unsuccessful in opposing 10-team top flight

Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC chairman George Fraser, who supported a 14-team SPL at today's SPL meeting, admits to being "extremely disappointed" that their preferred option lacked support.

Mr Fraser said: "The question was asked at the meeting for a show of hands in favour of a 14-team division and only Hearts, Kilmarnock and ourselves voted for it. Our club remains convinced it was the best option for supporters and entertaining football and we're extremely disappointed that when it came to the crunch, the necessary support was not there.

"Apparently the majority of clubs felt the 14-team option was not financially viable and we have to accept the democratic decision of the meeting on the day.

"Further work is to be done over the next few weeks on the Strategic Review Team's proposals and when their completed business model becomes available, Caley Thistle will carefully study the detail with an open mind."

I'll wait and see what happens once the dust settles and the facts emerge but I'm pretty scunnered with football at the moment and if the 10 team SPL goes through then I can see my interest dwindling to the point I won't bother renewing my season ticket or attending many, if any, games.

This isn't an argument about being a 'real fan' or all that nonsense as I've watched ICT home and away regularly since the 3rd Division days so I've nothing to prove to anyone on that front. There comes a time though when you realise the absolute p1sh is being ripped out of you and as a fan you are of little or no consequence to those who run the game. Financially I can't see how a set up which includes 22 teams makes more sense than one with 14 or how a more competitive league is bad for football and subsequently business. When you add it all up against the hassle you get from Police and stewards at so many grounds, the crazy ticket prizes, the repetitive nature of the games and the generally low quality on display I start to wonder why I should bother sacrificing my free time and disposable income?

Self Preservation League indeed.

• Agree 1

Not for the first time, Neil Doncaster chose to distort the truth - If Inverness, Hearts and Kilmarnock were in preference of 14, then not everyone is in agreement. Not yet anyway.

We've slagged off our board enough over the years (often with good reason). How about a big thumbs up :thumbup: for George Fraser for supporting the view of the fans?

• Agree 5

Not for the first time, Neil Doncaster chose to distort the truth - If Inverness, Hearts and Kilmarnock were in preference of 14, then not everyone is in agreement. Not yet anyway.

We've slagged off our board enough over the years (often with good reason). How about a big thumbs up :thumbup: for George Fraser for supporting the view of the fans?

Yeh well done but from what DS said on the radio it appears we may have been left on our own in the end. He also hinted the the OF are running the show and I just got the feeling that no matter what our club says or does this is going to happen.

I think that the topic is slightly misleading here. Nothing has actually been confirmed yet and 'broad agreement has been reached' - i.e. there is still some dissenting voices on various issues. I think that the wording from our chairman is very interesting indeed and I believe that he is hinting at (not so) hidden agendas as well as the fact some clubs are being railroaded in some way. I wouldn't be surprised if certain clubs (looking at you OF and Aberden) are perhaps using bully boy tactics to get this through. e.g. threatening to make life awkward in some way.

We need to remember that any vote cannot take place for another couple weeks and therefore the fans still have a window of opportunity. If we are all serious about this then some form of organised protest has to take place and involve fans from all clubs. Whether this is a sit out, or leaving on mass after 20mins I don't know but it has to be visible to get the attention of these idiots.

Edited by Hiro