Poll : Was it a penalty?

Yngwie

Did the ref make the correct decision when he awarded ICT the penalty v Celtic?  

228 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

A penalty kick is awarded against a team which commits one of the ten offences for which a direct free kick is awarded, inside its own penalty area and while the ball is in play i.e. if the player commits any of the following six offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• [li]kicks or attempts to kick an opponent[/li]
    [li]trips or attempts to trip an opponent[/li]
    [li]jumps at an opponent[/li]
    [li]charges an opponent[/li]
    [li]strikes or attempts to strike an opponent[/li]
    [li]pushes an opponent[/li]

A penalty kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following four offences:

• [li]tackles an opponent to gain possession of the ball, making contact with the opponent before touching the ball[/li]
    [li]holds an opponent[/li]
    [li]spits at an opponent[/li]
    [li]handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)[/li]

Elvis was holding him therefore it was a penalty.

Clear penalty from the TV footage. Pressley did a Bobby Mann fall over after being caught for pace. Basically bundled Marius over. Strachan claimed the ref played advantage but no evidence of any delay on the video footage. Pressley is just back from his back operation so got caught for fitness. His acting and diving skills are still much in evidence. Notice from the TV replays how Skippy tried to dive into the penalty box.

Clear penalty from the TV footage. Pressley did a Bobby Mann fall over after being caught for pace. Basically bundled Marius over. Strachan claimed the ref played advantage but no evidence of any delay on the video footage. Pressley is just back from his back operation so got caught for fitness. His acting and diving skills are still much in evidence. Notice from the TV replays how Skippy tried to dive into the penalty box.

This is correct. Elvis slipped, but still managed to restrain Marius with an arm across his body. However, Marius looked like he had already pulled the trigger by that time. We are due a bit of luck and, by God, we got our share yesterday.

I thought it was from looking at the replays. Pressley is lost for pace and tries to impede Niculae = foul = penalty.

Referee blows whistle + points to spot+Mark Brown between sticks=Goal ICT

Even I can do the maths on that one :021:

The referee's decision is final.

More to the point, who had that horrible feeling that the 'penalty saving maestro'  would actually save one?????

I said that on another thread. When I saw the penalty I wondered how on earth Brown didn't save it to be honest!

More to the point, who had that horrible feeling that the 'penalty saving maestro'  would actually save one?????

I said that on another thread. When I saw the penalty I wondered how on earth Brown didn't save it to be honest!

Likewise. I felt Brown should have stopped it!  It wasn't a well taken kick.  But I'm firmly in the 'who cares?' camp re the decision.  We were overdue a good break on the refereeing front.  To get two good calls (what with the offside goal) on one day was a real bonus.

Clearly a penalty.

Pressley was leaning into Niculae and then when he fell he further pushed Niculae off the ball.

Very lucky not to be red carded, or Proctor was very unlucky - either way both players commited the same crime and received very different sentences.

I thought it was more like obstruction and should have resulted in an indirect free kick from the edge of the 6 yard box...

Come to think about it is a long time since I've seen such a decision given...

Maybe someone can enlighten me here.... has there been a change in the rules regards obstructing an opponent..?

:024:

Guest WynessLegend

Who cares whether it was or it wasn't.  The fact is it WAS and we scored.  :021: :021: :021: :021:

The referee pointed at the spot and Rankin slotted it home.

Of course it was a penalty.

Guest CaleyJaggy

Yeah I said that to the boys I was sitting with, and to be fair he very nearly did save the bugger.  That's the nearest to saving a penalty I've seen Brown get.  As for wgs, what a bitter, bitter little man no class or style at all.  The more I read of his interviews the more he comes across as beeing a snotty little Ba**ard.  As for macdonald being offside and it being a penalty.  macdonald WAS offside and it WAS a penalty because the match officials gave the desicions as such, you certainly don't heard wgs complain when sellick get the rub of the green do you now?