Andy Shinnie to Birmingham City

Dargo20

Pointless move for him IMO, he would have been better served staying another year at least and getting another season of first team football under his belt before going to the Championship, or possibly League 1 with Birminghams form, for the £££££s. Cant blame him though, the money will be good for sitting on the bench.

• Agree 2

Disappointed to lose him, beautiful footballer, one of the classiest we've had.

But I'm pleased that he's at least made a real step up rather than going to the likes of Aberdeen.

Best of luck to him down there, I think he's got what it takes to be a real success.

• Agree 2

I do love how some of our fans were horrified at the prospect of Shinniesta moving to Aberdeen saying he could do better. Suddenly Birmingham are rumoured to have signed the guy and our fans still think he could do better.

As Yngwie says, at least he isn't making a very slight upwards / sideways move to someone like Hibs or Aberdeen. If he does go to Birmingham he is making a real step up. The Championship is one of the richest leagues in the world (I seem to recall fourth richest being mentioned but I am not sure about that) so he'll get a fair whack of cash you'd imagine and he wil be playing at a higher level. I don't see how folk can grudge this move at all other than for selfish reasons.

With no quotes from Birmingham, no quotes from Shinnie, no quotes from ICT in the "story". Nothing on Birmingham, ICT websites, Rumour mill for this at moment.    I could have written that piece in the Express.

RiG, dont grudge the guy the move at all, fair play to him, but how good is it for his carreer going there and sitting on the bench? the  guy has had a couple  seasons of first team football, and at his age needs to be playing every week, will he get that at Birmingham? Or will he become another Scottish failure who has a couple of seasons warming the bench somewhere then returns to Scotland and has not progressed at all? First team football should be the most important thing for him at the moment.

I do agree that he should be looking to play every week but we don't know that he will be sitting on the bench every week though.

We could always try and get him on loan I suppose if he does end up warming the sidelines!

England's second division is only a step up in money.  There's little chance of silverware or European football.  Wages high but glory is zero.

as much as I despise it, that is exactly what motivates most footballers nowadays

Birmingham are said to be facing administration, all of their current squad are up for sale and they have been stuck in limbo over a proposed takeover all season which would bail them out. They may well be a Championship side but they are a Championship side that is falling apart. In any normal situation this would be viewed as a great move for Andy Shinnie but they are a club in turmoil, i wouldnt be bitter if he went there but i would be a bit worried if i was signing for a team in that kind of trouble.

Already have turned down more than treble my salary (and that was to live in Paris, not Brum) but not for the same job (a similar, but definitely more admin post).  Can't put a price on satisfaction.  But it takes a while to realise that.

I agree money does motivate players and the public at large in their jobs.  But I don't get why it motivates fans.  Surely, the wage packet means nothing to us?  Isn't it all about football, not personal finance, to supporters?  Would you applaud Shinnie if he got a job as a project manager with Microsoft because he'll make more money?  Why do you care how much he earns and not the silverware he can pick up?

• Agree 1

He has not joined Birmingham! There is nothing about it anywhere other than someones twitter and one of the diddy newspapers!

Surely if it was announced last night there would be a story on the BBC by now. Although the BBC does have it in todays GOSSIP column.